RMweb

SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

Personally, I wouldn't use DCC for control of turnouts and signals unless I was using Panelpro and a computer.

Advantages:

No switches

easy to alter track plan, just a simple mouse click to operate point motors - route setting possible and "start of day" routine.

Of course using something wirelessly does leave you free to wander around but with the same benefits. Trying to use a handset is IMHO not going to lead to satisfaction.

• RMweb Gold

As I always say, DCC is marvellously open to customisation. Techie-types, who may often be a little younger than some of us, revel in making it do all sorts of clever things, and e.g. using a smartphone is very much part of that. So for them changing points and signals via a handset is simply part of the satisfaction and joy. I have a few points with Hare decoders hung off the Tortoise, but each of them can also be reversed by a simple toggle switch on the baseboard fascia, and that is what I invariably do.

I have yet to get to signals, but as for NX panels, I suppose having been Traffic Regulator in a very large multi-panel signalbox - London Bridge - 40 years ago, has left me happy to let others do that.

• Like 4

I intend using DCC to control the locomotives.  Turnouts are poked with a small flexible stick which I also use to uncouple the kadees.

This satisfactorily mimics the real thing - I model 'the last mile' on my crappy ISL.

If I were modelling a mainline with power switches, route setting and interlocked signalling I am sure DCC would also work, but analog systems also work - as they did on the prototype for decades.  A number of modellers incorporated CTC panel boards in their model railroad dispatchers office.  I always liked them but never had the room for a pike big enough to warrant it.

post-238-0-48279500-1508672364.png

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Right having upset a couple of applecarts with a Kernow 1361 I'm off to (occasionally is promised) sunny Devon (east end) for a few days and if I can get permission I might visit Pecoboorama and see if they have some points I could buy and take a photo off in order to upset a few more apple carts.

And I won't comment about isolating sidings with live 'frog' points because as far as I'm concerned if two negative rails are linked through the mechanism of an electrically propelled loco which draws its power from them it won't move and neither will it short a circuit because it's linking a negative rail to another negative rail (or positive rail to positive rail).  But of course that only works on a dead end siding but it saves switches - if in doubt try it ;) 

Mind you it was all much easier yesterday playing on a railway where the engines (including one of those Jarvis/Bulleid spacific thingies) were propelled by steam or battery power and were to various different scales but all running on 7.25 inch gauge track with full signalling, more or less complete track circuiting and full interlocking, and Absolute Block working.  And it was fun.

http://www.spinneylightrailway.co.uk

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Phil, the DCC Concepts stuff is very nice but unless you understand what it is going to do better for you than the way you are doing now, don't order things just for the sake of it.

But they are shiny and have little lights and everyting..........and they smell lovely when they catch fire.

Phresh

• RMweb Premium

So today I made a start on building a control panel -

As part of this, I realised I needed to do some carpentry,  much against doctors' orders, but SWMBO had gone out with daughter and granddaughter, so WTF?

I then realised I needed to sort out switches, so took back all the points I wasn't using to Guagemaster  who took them back into stock against the purchase of 60 point switches and 30 section switches, plus a set of controllers.

While discussing DCC, I mentioned that with 60 points on the mainline, I felt that DCC would be way to complex

The  manager of the shop, who was looking after me agreed, and told me that many of the DCC modellers they know have given up on DCC for running the railway and instead use analog electrickery (Bloomin 'eck I need to be careful about spellchecking that at this time of night after a few glasses of vino blanco!) and have gone for analog point management and DCC for locos.

It was then that I remembered I needed some DPDT switches to enable cab control, which I am using to allow me to use a single controller from end-to-end.

After digging them out, he pointed out that I'm running as good a setups DCC albeit without the sound, but at a lot less cost!

He did then try to sell me a few spools of wire!

SOSJ.

DCC loco's (far too bloody expensive by far....yes I know).

Nitwok Rail = various Hannalog contraptions and a few fingerpokin. DCC Concepts do Hannalog stuff and because that is lovely and shiny and smooth and ever so friendly I will use some things.

No fear dear hearts I ain't not going to try to do marathon before walkin'.

Ar$£

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yes, that's what I meant Clive.  Alwinton has route setting on an 'N-X' panel style (which was a club standard from years ago in analogue days) but using tablets and clever programming - signals, uncouplers etc all work off the 'panels' that are actually touch sensitive tablets.  It has been in the Railway Todeller recently but the article was written three years ago almost, it has developed a lot since then.  I think the investment in the hardware of accessory decoders etc is a waste unless you do use a form of integration of some sort.

I once operated a well known US layout at a show, which was made by one of the best US outline modellers in the UK who I'm pally with.  Each point on a complex switching layout had to be operated individually from the handset - it was a nightmare. At the end of the weekend I was toast.  Even noticing one of the factories on the layout had my name on it didn't compensate!

Sod all that for a game of marbles. My route setting will involve walking around the loft about six times; got to keep moblile have I not? I quite like the DCC route setting idea but it takes almost as long to set that as it does to walk around. Also I'm wanting to use my handset for driving the toots.

Arry Potters

• Like 3

So, after all this discussion on best options for route setting and panels...

Today I woke up so depressed about all this lung carp, that I actually couldn't think what to think. Instead I dragged myself out of bed and got on with the day to day sh1t we call life.

ON a side issue,  yesterday SWMBO went out for the day with our daughter and 7 month old granddaughter, and came home telling me how sad they both are that we don't live closer to each other.

After dragging myself out of bed and down for breakfast, I dug out the iPad. Having read Clarkson's review in the S Times online ( Not sure what else is worth reading therein) I started looking at potential move options for selling the house and doing the sensible thing of moving closer to the family.

Long story short, we're off to look at a house about 20 minutes from Daughter/Granddaiughter tomorrow or the next day, if they can set it up, and need to redecorate the last remaining un done room in the house

IN fairness, there are many good reasons other than that, and I'm actually quite chuffed at the concept!

It will of course mean tearing up Waverley East!

but at least the engine shed board is a complete and standalone unit

post-10395-0-14394900-1508702404_thumb.jpg

No doubt further bulletins will follow, I'm already beginning to understand how Larry the Coachman of this parish feels!

Heigh Ho- a novel cure for depression, but WTF, if it works, don't knock it!

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 1

Right having upset a couple of applecarts with a Kernow 1361 I'm off to (occasionally is promised) sunny Devon (east end) for a few days

Well, a very acceptable day down here today.  Not a lot of sun, but generally bright & quite warm for the time of year, if somewhat breezy.

Remarkably calm sea considering the weather we've had during the last few days.

Start of half-term so more people around than you would expect.  Cafes & ice cream kiosk open on Seaton seafront with people sitting outside to eat.

Very pleasant.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Smifffy

Depression, moving (greater depression), ripping up layout (more depression), keeping Mrs M happy (greater than greater depression), no sign of new layout (mega depression). Wow I feel lucky I don't have a medical problem as well.

All the best mate in finding somewhere quick, and selling yours promptly. Don't forget the importance of an easy access train set room. 

• RMweb Gold

Most seem to be still depressed except those who frequent Seaton sea front!  Perhaps a picture of an aging nun or a buxom cook on TV would help!

Brian.

There are some good bits of Seaton not far from the front - there are of course the trams which are great fun and there is Frydays which is an excellent reason for visiting the place as it is a top notch chippy (or was the last time we tried it). We shall be slightly further west where Sid has his mouth as it is convenient for where we need to be on Tuesday evening although last time we stopped in the area we stayed at the place where Sid has his ford and visited the local flower and produce show which was a smashing way to spend a couple of hours.  

However Mrs Stationmaster has mentioned a possible visit to the home town she shares with the duck of this little corner of the RuMweb thingy so it might well be that I shall be tempted instructed into a journey which will take me along a road not to far from the home turf of the good Captain.  Time, weather and inclination, or instruction, will no doubt inform me of how our days shall be spent between our journeys from and back to the our home valley where flows a former tributary of the Rhine.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Calls himself a chef, I once saw him try and cook chips. Nine perfectly cut lumps of tater, set in a cube. Without tasting them I could see they were underdone, a chef who cannot cook chips is like a modeller who cannot build his own track. 

Edit Mega mega depression thanks to Tim's photo. :threaten:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3