SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

This is an ancient DJH H15 that I had partially put together before Covid and then Mr Basingstoke Shed 30368 finished it beautifully, having had to almost redo the Chassis!

Phil,

A pleasure - I do have an H15 habit I'm afraid, I have five, one example of every significant variation as I was explaining to you at Donny earlier today until your eyes glazed over...

I should also register my thanks for the unwanted PDK 700 kit which is now 30368 and in it's usual habitat - 70D.

See you soon mate.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have copied this from Mike Stationmaster's post on ANTB. 

I've put it here purely for reference it isn't meant to be an update post...sorry!

This is because I don't know how to save it to a file...derrrrr!    

Top centre =1

Middle left side = 2.                   Middle right side = 3

Above left hand buffer = 4.         Centre  = 5              Above right hand buffer = 6

Notes, were appropriate -

CT = code carried throughout

L = Lamps permitted to be used instead of discs during daylight hours. (This also applied to trains in this category worked by WR engines.)

Codes listed  by disc/lamp position -

Disc in Position 1

Plymouth - Tavistock North     Note CT

Exeter Central - Ilfracombe.    Note CT

Bodmin Nth - Padstow

Exeter Ctl - Exmouth

Yeovil Pen Mill - Langport West.   Note L

Disc in Position 2

Exeter Ctl - Sidmouth

Torrington - Halwill

Disc in Position 3

Seaton Jcn - Seaton

Barnstaple Jcn - Torrington

Halwill - Bude

Disc in Position 5

Axminster - Lyme Regis

Tipton St Johns - Exmouth

Bere Alston - Callington

Exeter Central - Exeter St Davids (carried by Assistant Engines)

Bodmin General - Wadebridge/Padstow. Note L

Barnstaple Jcn - Barnstaple Victoria  Note L

Note that from here on the codes are listed in the order in which they appear in the Appendix, not in numerical order of the first disc position.

Discs in Position 3 & 5

Exeter Ctl - Exmouth Jcn

Discs in Positions 1 & 2

Ballast trains between Exeter Central, and all stations west thereof, and Meldon Quarry  Note CT

Discs in Positions 1 & 5

Waterloo or Nine Elms - Plymouth.   Note CT.  (See also Discs in Positions 4 & 5)

Discs in Positions 2 & 4

Light engines from all stations west of Basingstoke to Eastleigh MPD

Disc in Positions 2 & 3

Exeter Ctl - Padstow. Note CT

Discs in positions 4 & 6

Exmouth Jcn MPD - Exmouth Jcn Yd

Barnstaple Jcn - Padstow for trains to/from Taunton.  Note L

The following route was not shown in the Sectional Appendix list but is seen in reliably captioned photos from the very late 1950s     Plymouth - Portsmouth or Brighton

Discs in Positions 4 & 5

Waterloo or Nine Elms - Exeter Ctl via East Putney.  (see also Discs in Positions 1 & 5)

Discs in Positions 2.3 & 5

Breakdown Van Train

Discs in Positions 1, 4, 5 & 6

Train running in accordance with 'Grove' Instructions

Discs In Positions 2,5,6

Trains running form all locations to Aldershot Govt Sidings

Discs in the positions listed below to be used for trains running in connection with race meetings and other special events  as advised by special notice

No.1   Discs in Positions 1,2 & 6

No.2.  Discs in Positions 1,3 & 4

No.3.  Discs in positions 1,5 & 6

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Northroader said:

Summat similar in the Ian Allen SR spotters thingy.

Yes one of the Ian Allan books (one on headcides I think and possibly even in the SR number books too at one time) listed Southern disc codes although I don't know how complete it was. or what date it covered

The list which Phil has copied from my orignal post another thread is specifically West of England only and is taken from the official SR 1960 list as published.  Hence my comment about the Plymouth - Portsmouth/Brighton code which wasn't show in the list but can be seen on photos taken in the Plymouth area.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yes one of the Ian Allan books (one on headcides I think and possibly even in the SR number books too at one time) listed Southern disc codes although I don't know how complete it was. or what date it covered

The list which Phil has copied from my orignal post another thread is specifically West of England only and is taken from the official SR 1960 list as published.  Hence my comment about the Plymouth - Portsmouth/Brighton code which wasn't show in the list but can be seen on photos taken in the Plymouth area.

My Ian Allan headcode book is a 1999 reprint of the 1961 edition.

It has six pages of SR codes showing 30 different combinations and covers all three Divisions. Unless stated specifically, the codes apply in both directions.

I can't see a through Plymouth - Portsmouth or Brighton code as such but the list includes:

Brighton and Salisbury via Southampton Central - positions 1, 4, 5

Brighton and Salisbury through trains via Eastleigh - positions 1, 5, 6

All trains terminating at Portsmouth & Southsea - positions 3, 4 (Trains from Salisbury to carry positions 4 and 6 to Eastleigh)

Salisbury and Portsmouth Harbour via Eastleigh - positions 4, 5

Portsmouth and Southsea to Salisbury via Eastleigh - positions 4, 5

Salisbury and Portsmouth Harbour via Redbridge - positions 2, 5

To me this implies that such trains would carry discs in positions 1 and 5 between Plymouth and Salisbury but that doesn't match the photographic evidence quoted.

If anyone has a specific question that the book might answer I'm happy to help.

By the way, in a parallel universe "Disc in Positions 2 and 3" actually applies to Exeter Central and Padstow or Pentowan... 😁

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It has six pages of SR codes showing 30 different combinations and covers all three Divisions. Unless stated specifically, the codes apply in both directions.

I can't see a through Plymouth - Portsmouth or Brighton code as such but the list includes:

All trains terminating at Portsmouth & Southsea - positions 3, 4 (Trains from Salisbury to carry positions 4 and 6 to Eastleigh)

To me this implies that such trains would carry discs in positions 1 and 5 between Plymouth and Salisbury but that doesn't match the photographic evidence quoted.

By the way, in a parallel universe "Disc in Positions 2 and 3" actually applies to Exeter Central and Padstow or Pentowan... 😁

Re headcodes for the Brighton - Plymouth I guess it was a case of ‘what the book says’ and what happened in reality were two different things. I’ve seen a good few pictures of BR(W) local trains in Cornwall bearing the headlamp code for light engine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Photos indicate that confusion may well have reigned.

One must allow for the possibility of incorrect captions but on Plymouth-bound workings, I've recently seen pictured examples of:

Positions 1 and 5 (the usual Waterloo-Exeter-Plymouth code) which I suspect to have been "officially correct" West of Salisbury.

Positions 2 and 3. I gather that what we are referring to as "Brighton" services didn't all run further East than Portsmouth. Presumably Naval personnel travelling between Pompey and Devonport formed a major part of the clientele. It might have got interesting when the train reached Exeter, though the loco would have been changed at Central; most photos West of Exeter show 72A engines in charge!

Positions 2 and 5. Again, that suggests a working to/from Portsmouth. 

IIRC, the loco that brought the train to Salisbury was booked to work through to Exeter. My (provisional) interpretation is that the discs were "occasionally" left as they were. Interestingly, though, no instances (yet) of 1/4/5 or 1/5/6, which I was expecting. Consistent, it is not!

I still haven't found any pix of the "Cleethorpes", which I'm certain I have seen in the past. My guess would be the "inter-regional" code, in positions 4 and 6. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

One must allow for the possibility of incorrect captions but on Plymouth-bound workings, I've recently seen pictured examples of:

Positions 1 and 5 (the usual Waterloo-Exeter-Plymouth code) which I suspect to have been "officially correct" West of Salisbury.

Positions 2 and 3. I gather that what we are referring to as "Brighton" services didn't all run further East than Portsmouth. Presumably Naval personnel travelling between Pompey and Devonport formed a major part of the clientele. It might have got interesting when the train reached Exeter, though the loco would have been changed at Central; most photos West of Exeter show 72A engines in charge!

IIRC, the loco that brought the train to Salisbury was booked to work through to Exeter. My (provisional) interpretation is that the discs were "occasionally" left as they were. Interestingly, though, no instances (yet) of 1/4/5 or 1/5/6, which I was expecting. Consistent, it is not!

I still haven't found any pix of the "Cleethorpes", which I'm certain I have seen in the past. My guess would be the "inter-regional" code, in positions 4 and 6. 

John

Going to check shortly John ref the Cleethorpes. I may even remember to quote the actual source if I find it.

I've got pics in books that show the exact thing you say about west Bound 'Brightons' and 'Portsmouths'. Engines most often changed at Salisbury,  BUT there was a period when the Loco ran through to Exeter; I have those dates somewhere.

Anyway, apart from certain RMW associates, I am the only one that will see my imaginary world in high Summer at Seaton Junction, circa 1955 to 1965.

All the best to all you really helpful chaps.

Phil

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

Been checking and:

Brighton...both 1/5 and 1/4/5 identified on the down. Only 1/5 on the Up from my books.

Cleethorpes: Discs on the ones I've seen so far, BUT I do have pic of a U1 on a Down, west of Templecombe and I can't find that at the moment. I think it had lamps!

Can't find any WR diversions ... yet!

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if there's any photos of the Cleethorpes in any of the branch line to books? I have the Seaton & Sidmuff volume and I know there's photos of the Gresleys stabled down the line somewhere.  Perhaps there's a front end shot of the loco headcode?  If I remember I'll have a gander later 👍

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I wonder if there's any photos of the Cleethorpes in any of the branch line to books? I have the Seaton & Sidmuff volume and I know there's photos of the Gresleys stabled down the line somewhere.  Perhaps there's a front end shot of the loco headcode?  If I remember I'll have a gander later 👍

Thank you. There are few Pics of the actual train, except on the Somerset and Dorset section (Ivo Peters had loads of course).

P

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Credit Terry Gough: Southern Railway Reflections, The West Country.

U1, heading East through Axminster, Summer 1961SO with the Cleethorpes. Eastern Stock (Gresleys) at the front at least, but these trains ran with almost anything available.

Discs 1/5 detached at Templecombe where it was  probably taken over by a 7F.

20230821_141119(2).jpg.c09b2b6735fd2a7cd4db8608b3ef2527.jpg

Edited by Mallard60022
Back to fronto
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil, I realise I have the original OPC hardback of that book, The Southern West of Salisbury. 

Terry was lucky to get a shot of a U1 on it. They weren't well received in the West Country and were soon sent packing.

John

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Terry was lucky to get a shot of a U1 on it. They weren't well received in the West Country and were soon sent packing.

Spot on John. The reasons given for the U1 rejection are that they were not much more powerful than the 2 cylinder engines but, and I suspect that this is the real reason, the reluctance of footplate crew to prepare an engine with an inside cylinder, all that oil and filth, when you could keep relatively clean with a "U".

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS Phil - nice picture of a U1 on an "ex LNER" duty....

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Spot on John. The reasons given for the U1 rejection are that they were not much more powerful than the 2 cylinder engines but, and I suspect that this is the real reason, the reluctance of footplate crew to prepare an engine with an inside cylinder, all that oil and filth, when you could keep relatively clean with a "U".

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS Phil - nice picture of a U1 on an "ex LNER" duty....

Supposedly, the boiler couldn't keep up with feeding three cylinders when worked hard, and whilst initially more powerful than the U's, they lacked stamina.

The workings involved two sets, one of SR stock and one ER, which swapped regions every Saturday. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Credit Terry Gough: Southern Railway Reflections, The West Country.

U1, heading East through Axminster, Summer 1961SO with the Cleethorpes. Eastern Stock (Gresleys) at the front at least, but these trains ran with almost anything available.

Discs 1/5 attached at Templecombe where it probably took over from a 7F.

20230821_141119(2).jpg.c09b2b6735fd2a7cd4db8608b3ef2527.jpg

Yo Mr Duck

More of them there Mk3 baseplates for fat bottomed rail.

The first coach behind the loco looks like it is one of the end door composite with luggage compartment built for the 1938 Flying Scotsman train. I ain't cut up any coaches to make that and if that can be bunged on a Cleethorpes train then one can visit Sheffield Exchange.

I do like U1s they have the look of a rugby hooker, smallish but powerful.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Supposedly, the boiler couldn't keep up with feeding three cylinders when worked hard, and whilst initially more powerful than the U's, they lacked stamina.

The workings involved two sets, one of SR stock and one ER, which swapped regions every Saturday. 

John

By late August1962 when this working finished, it consisted of all sorts. Midland, Eastern and few Southern Coaches as well as Mk1s.

1960 when it first started, there was a set of ER and SR Coaches and they did run as such, but not for long.

Longest Trains were 11 Coaches and those had to be double Headed on the S & D.

Some ER Coaches down west were 'borrowed during their week lay over.

Unsure what happened at the Cleethorpes end.

As for the U1, it was probably a rare turn. However, as it's such a beast,  I want that one on this service. I'd forgotten I also have a U Kit and that would also suit workings at SJ. However, I'm hoping a RTR one may popup soon. If I get it out of the box and start building it, then that will ensure an announcement is made! 

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

By late August1962 when this working finished, it consisted of all sorts. Midland, Eastern and few Southern Coaches as well as Mk1s.

1960 when it first started, there was a set of ER and SR Coaches and they did run as such, but not for long.

Longest Trains were 11 Coaches and those had to be double Headed on the S & D.

Some ER Coaches down west were 'borrowed during their week lay over.

Unsure what happened at the Cleethorpes end.

As for the U1, it was probably a rare turn. However, as it's such a beast,  I want that one on this service. I'd forgotten I also have a U Kit and that would also suit workings at SJ. However, I'm hoping a RTR one may popup soon. If I get it out of the box and start building it, then that will ensure an announcement is made! 

Phil

Yes and the "foreign" coaches did indeed get "borrowed" between trips for all manner of purposes. A mid-week excursion from Exmouth or Exeter to Ilfracombe springs to mind...  

I don't imagine the Eastern Region had any scruples over getting some work out of their visitors, either.

One of my many books (and I've long ago lost track of which) memorably contains a superb photo of a "Southern" branch train somewhere between Exmouth and Tipton St John. Three coaches, a Gresley brake second or compo (maroon), a BR suburban second (crimson or green), and a Stanier brake end in crimson and cream. All being hauled by a BR3 2-6-2T. You really couldn't make it up!

Hornby/Replica/Airfix and Bachmann respectively, ready to be fettled for the new layout when I'm back in a fit state for working on baseboards.

John

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

For some good pics of this Cleethorpes working on the S & D, then Ivo Peters' series of S & D 1960/61/62 books have a great selection, some of which allows the identification of much of the stock. 

I have at least three made up Sets for this Train, ready to plonk. My favourite is the one with a Thompson N.G. Toilet Semi Open Comp at the front/back, making the 11th Coach! Thanks Hornby.

I had no idea this service existed until I started researching for my Layout.

It took around 12 hours to amble across the Country via Lincoln, Nottingham, Birmingham and the Bristol 'By-pass' to Bath IIRC!

The Train split/joined at Tipton St John.

If anyone is interested in a couple of 'formations', then just ask me.

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Mr Duck

More of them there Mk3 baseplates for fat bottomed rail.

The first coach behind the loco looks like it is one of the end door composite with luggage compartment built for the 1938 Flying Scotsman train. I ain't cut up any coaches to make that and if that can be bunged on a Cleethorpes train then one can visit Sheffield Exchange.

I do like U1s they have the look of a rugby hooker, smallish but powerful.

Looks like I may need a fresh razor saw blade when I next get up to Buffers....😉

John

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Yes and the "foreign" coaches did indeed get "borrowed" between trips for all manner of purposes. A mid-week excursion from Exmouth or Exeter to Ilfracombe springs to mind...  

I don't imagine the Eastern Region had any scruples over getting some work out of their visitors, either.

One of my many books (and I've long ago lost track of which) memorably contains a superb photo of a "Southern" branch train somewhere between Exmouth and Tipton St John. Three coaches, a Gresley brake second or compo (maroon), a BR suburban second (crimson or green), and a Stanier brake end in crimson and cream. All being hauled by a BR3 2-6-2T. You really couldn't make it up!

Hornby/Replica/Airfix and Bachmann respectively, ready to be fettled for the new layout when I'm back in a fit state for working on baseboards.

John

2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

That Exmouth to Sidmouth was probably two off the Cleethorpes and a spare Sub off the Exmouth Branch sets?

Yup, couldn't make it up!

I know it's later John, but when a Bubble Car was working the Seaton Branch in Summer 1964 I think it was, there is part of a film where a Gresley all Door is added to it due to crowding.  Most of the passengers for Seaton try to pile on the Bubble!

P

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1