Tesco - Mini Metal Detector for a quid!

Rumblestripe

Saw this on the Hot UK Deals site. Tesco are flogging off some of their toys for the square root of naff all. It struck me that this would be useful for finding those screws and small bits from etches that ping into the carpet whilst modelling. Not sure what the range is though some of the reviews mention having to turn down the sensitivity on it!

http://www.tesco.com/direct/how-cool-is-this-mini-metal-detector/212-6512.prd

It does seem odd that a Tesco offer should go in small suppliers though!

... It struck me that this would be useful for finding those screws and small bits from etches that ping into the carpet whilst modelling...

Affordable enough for a trial. I thought to use a stud detector for this purpose, which had a great deal of sensitivity adjustment. Since the house construction features generous use of large floor board nails, and stapled down underlay and carpet gripper strip and some past electrician's copious tail trimmings in the t+g floor board gaps from a rewire before we took possession; it didn't much matter how I set it, there was always something making it howl! I have found that a good sized maglite or similar torch obliquely directed and close visual inspection does best for non-ferrous. For ferro-magnetic I use a large block of ferrite permanent magnet as a 'trawl'.

Unless it is an online thing, I would imagine it was part of their post-Christmas stock clear-out where various gift items were reduced to clear in a once it's gone, it's gone scenario. Not all stores would necessarily have them in stock in the first place, let alone the reduced ones.

Cheers

J

cant find these for love nor money. been to 3 big Tescos. is it online only?  if so youll need to add postage......

maybe i need a metal detector  :)

I picked one of these up from Tesco Direct. I got it delivered to my local Tescos (for collection) which didnt cost me anything in postage.

Missy :)

• RMweb Premium

I picked one of these up from Tesco Direct. I got it delivered to my local Tescos (for collection) which didnt cost me anything in postage.

Missy :)

The same here, ordered from Tesco Direct, I had 3 options as to which shop to collect from and two postage choices. I ordered on Monday, but it had not turned up in my selected shop today.

SS

Got two via "click and collect".  Very quiet click over metal.  Seem only to be able to adjust the sensitivity when you can see the piece of metal.  So, no use, as far as I can see.  Suffice to say the other one is still in the bag Tesco wrapped it in - each individually parcelled.  Some satisfaction in hoping it cost Tesco money to process order, pick, parcel and deliver to store! 

So do they work?

• RMweb Premium

I've just tried mine and the so called sensitivity control knob doesn't seem to do much, so I took it apart and it comes in two bits the main body with some sort of track on it and the knob bit which also seems to have a track on it, so how it works beats me, I don't have time to put a meter on it at the moment.

SS

• RMweb Premium

I've just picked mine up, had a bit of difficulty getting the adjustment right* but have now managed to find a couple of very small screws in the ###### pile.

*Until I realised I was doing over a stainless steel sink. :banghead:

Edit, fallen foul of the auto censor, its sh@g.

Archived