Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

Just caught up with this thread.

Having been involved with dog shows in the past, I can assure you they don't get that right either!!

They are no good at sport either, I was reported as having overtaken my crew during one report on sailing!

The Q

Back to Dawlish I hope they get video feed on line soon

Which reminded me of Liam Fox's recent expense claim - there was a disused railway line at Yatton, which made his shock horror claim for 100 yard journey on expenses impossible. Only one ITV journalist checked it out -  the rest stuck to the snouts in the trough line and ignoring the physical geography.

• RMweb Premium

Just a little reminder that ordinary people are also trying to get about today as well as our Prime Minister.

Here is a posting by my sister, who lives in Plymouth, form her facebook page, she must have been off somewhere today.

The wheels of the rail replacement bus go round and round, but not very fast, and it smells of weird, the wheels of the rail replacement bus go round and round, all year long.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Just a quick civil engineering question re Dawlish.

Will the cut up track panels / sprayed concrete on the landslip between the houses and railway be able to support the adjacent house foundations against further slip, perhaps with additional piling / concreting etc ?.  Are there any plans to demolish the houses, or will further works be required to reinforce the buildings foundations once the main railway & sea wall work is done ?. 

Just interested, as no-one wishes further line blockages here.

Some good work being done here re the above concrete, stone filled containers etc. The PM has just announced "money no object" so hopefully a state of the art solution can be put in place once current repair work is done. If that involves the North Devon line re-opening as an alternative route, so be it.

As a taxpayer I have absolutely NO objection for Government (my) money being spent here, or indeed elsewhere that is suffering the current weather related events.

Brit15

• Like 2

With all the disruption and train sets out of place, it appears 150124 did 1A77 Exeter-Reading today. Christ... Currently en route back to Exeter ecs as 5A77. Despite the Somerset levels being flooded, Cross Country are running a limited connecting service between Exeter and Bristol via Castle Cary, Westbury and Bath. I gather a Tamper has derailed itself at Largin and 43018, one of the power cars west of Dawlish set its alternator alight too. Really isn't going well at the moment in the South-West, I think FGW must have seriously p*ssed God off...

But in all seriousness I must say I'm really impressed with everyone's response so far, the MDTR gets slagged off by a lot of people, me included, but all the gals and geezers at NR and the TOC's are showing a real can-do attitude in difficult conditions with diversions left right and centre, hand-signalling, as well as working in difficult conditions, I take my hat off to you all.

Edited by NXEA!

• RMweb Gold

I keep seeing 2 car HST power car sets (west bound Friday in Cardiff - very impressive acceleration from a red outside the station as I came down from Queen Street- and east bound on Sunday along the embankment across the flood plain at Saltford near Bath - is this all related or pure coincidence?

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if any plans are likely to be put in place to run a shuttle from Exeter as far as Dawlish Warren?

The FGW website shows no mention of a service, though I thought I saw mention of one on the website shortly before the line was completely closed.

There are crossovers at Dawlish Warren to permit the move, though whether it would require groundstaff I don't know.

The roads in that area make the replacement bus service awkward between Dawlish Warren and Starcross.

Passenger figures for Dawlish Warren, Starcross and Exeter St Thomas have all increased greatly in the last 10 years.

(158k combined for 2002/3, to 379k for 2011/12)

I would also think that passengers from the eastern side of Dawlish would  find it easier to walk/cycle/drive to Dawlish Warren

to catch a train than drive or bus into Exeter especially if they already have a season ticket.

Six or more weeks without a service for those stations would undo some of the good work that has gone on in recent years

cheers

I will be looking further into that, but for the moment, we are using Dawlish Warren as an access point for machinery, and there isn't really the room to cross-over a train and get the R/R machines etc. on and off. Any curtailment of the R/R etc. activity there would probably delay the restoration of Dawlish, so a balance has to be struck.

Should I have ticked that like button? 

We know what you meant! 

At least the poor adhesion sign is there to warn of the railhead conditions . . . We wouldn't want CK slipping over!

Edited by BR(S)

• RMweb Premium

From yesterday:

Dawlish 4 by Nigel in Cornwall., on Flickr

What a great picture!

The sea was quite flat today but it was surprising that even with a 4 ft swell coming in the amount of water which comes down on the path nearest the wall! You can only imagine what its like when the winds howling and the tides in!

Not much to report from me today and nothing very glam I'm afraid.

I was in the vicinity of the works today but entirely at the Plymouth end of the station where all the 'boxing-in' and tidying ballast was going on. The majority of my colleagues

were moving ballast off the pavement and getting it back onto the track with the help from a road railer and a wheeled excavator. Just after dinner time when our visitor had already departed the place was still extremely busy, It was looking similar to a summer Saturday in July. My day was spent by moving 40 bags of ballast from Dawlish Warren to the main site, adding to the expanse seen in the picture above. Its fairly hard now to get to the main washout as its now in the main, a Bam Nutalls work site at the moment, this is our main contractor who does all of our big civil s jobs.

Im looking forward to us Plym, Par and Exeter guys getting stuck in and getting the track back in situe in a few weeks time.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

OK, here are some photos I took on Sunday at Dawlish (I kept away deliberately today...!):

post-57-0-36980900-1392147206.jpg

post-57-0-31469400-1392147312.jpg

post-57-0-92379900-1392147219.jpg

post-57-0-63490100-1392147228.jpg

post-57-0-32821400-1392147239.jpg

post-57-0-64395500-1392147251.jpg

post-57-0-84093400-1392147333.jpg

post-57-0-52250900-1392147361.jpg

post-57-0-30516400-1392147373.jpg

post-57-0-95322600-1392147386.jpg

post-57-0-09754700-1392147406.jpg

post-57-0-10409000-1392147421.jpg

post-57-0-42066000-1392147434.jpg

post-57-0-40621500-1392147447.jpg

post-57-0-52347500-1392147462.jpg

post-57-0-23616800-1392147476.jpg

post-57-0-34431800-1392147490.jpg

I later checked on Cowley Bridge Jct, but there wasn't anything to worry about there:

post-57-0-75079600-1392147540.jpg

Although there was a lot of water in the River Exe, it wasn't as much as last year...

post-57-0-37968300-1392147578.jpg

As regards the flooding on the Somerset Levels between Cogload Jct and Bridgwater, I'm going to take the liberty of starting a new thead for that. The photos I took on a walk out there yesterday were rather dramatic... The link for that new thread is here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82233-flooding-of-the-railway-on-the-somerset-levels/

After leaving Cowley Bridge Jct, I went up to Hele & Bradninch in the Whiteball blockade - photos of that here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81107-major-engineering-works-between-taunton-and-exeter/page-4&do=findComment&comment=1342587

Edit - addition of link to new thread on flooding on Somerset Levels

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 5