Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

With that amount of rock which is in the process of becoming sand, I wonder that instead of shifting it elsewhere that it wouldn't be best to chuck it over the side to the sea and let wave action pulverise it and distribute the same along the beaches that have been denuded. If you move it just where are you going to put that much debris, 35,000 tons being about 17,000 cubic metres of rubble, or a pile about 100ft square at the base 60ft high, assuming no slope on the sides. That's a lot of rock to find a home for.

It's still a lot for the sea to get rid of, but without the railway it would have had to have done so anyway.

Of course, there might be a big hole somewhere they could dump it in....

• RMweb Gold

Excellent coverage of the job in 'The Sunday Times' with a few stats (which might or might not be accurate knowing that 'paper of old) but impressive for all that -

250,000 cubic feet of concrete

300 people working round the clock (200 by day, 100 at night)

4 burger vans on the various sites

£15 million estimated cost (don't ask me whose estimate that was)

But good timeline explanation (in parts) and an overall very positive article however it did say that on reopening it might only be a single line in operation at first.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent coverage of the job in 'The Sunday Times' with a few stats (which might or might not be accurate knowing that 'paper of old) but impressive for all that -

250,000 cubic feet of concrete

300 people working round the clock (200 by day, 100 at night)

4 burger vans on the various sites

£15 million estimated cost (don't ask me whose estimate that was)

But good timeline explanation (in parts) and an overall very positive article however it did say that on reopening it might only be a single line in operation at first.

That's good, there seems to be one omission however, no mention of CK's personal pastie van.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Now then, here are a few answers to some of the points raised above....

We have a licence to dispose of the cliff fall spoil in the sea, so what Combe Barton suggested just proves that Great Minds think alike!

The point about replicating stone walls in concrete is exactly what we are doing with the repairs to the parapet walls along the whole length - a total length of 525 metres when all added together.

And as for the four burger vans, I only know the location of two of them, so where are the other two, I'd like to know.... yet another reason to go on another site visit...!

As for big holes in the ground, we've just dug another big 'un at Newton Abbot West, where we are in the middle of a 7 day blockade to install a very large 6m deep flood relief channel under all four lines, in connection with the South Devon Link Road (aka Kingskerswell Bypass) scheme - photos to follow (but visible from the public road if you are in the area). That work finishes at 4pm on Friday this week.

• Like 1

As for big holes in the ground, we've just dug another big 'un at Newton Abbot West, where we are in the middle of a 7 day blockade to install a very large 6m deep flood relief channel under all four lines, in connection with the South Devon Link Road (aka Kingskerswell Bypass) scheme - photos to follow (but visible from the public road if you are in the area). That work finishes at 4pm on Friday this week.

I think BBC SW referred to this as a 'culvert' :scratchhead:

There are ways & means I think.  In my view 'the way' in this particular case would be to throw a great big party for all of those who have had to slog through this problem and its consequences - not just the pourers of concrete (contractors I believe) and menders of walls (again I believe they are contractors) but those who have been making up and will be laying track panels, those who have been carting materials to site, those who have managed maintenance work through great disruption, those who have been making arrangements to shift traction by unconventional means, those who have been writing, timing and diagramming successive and ever changing emergency timetables, those who have borne the brunt of facing the public and so on - the list is endless and it all adds up to 'the railway' and what makes it tick and continues to make it tick when they're up against it.

So it would be a very, very big party.  Mind you in a few months time - unless things have changed in very recent years - the passenger ops planning folk from Swindon will be having their traditional 'Christmas party' lunch and no doubt others will be having theirs some 5-6 months later around the more recognised date for celebrating Christmas; one might hope that all such groups and the rest (including those I've forgotten) might be treated to recognise their endeavours.

Maybe a chance for some special awards at the National Rail Awards?

CHRIS LEIGH

That's good, there seems to be one omission however, no mention of CK's personal pastie van.

Jamie

I reckon that it as been hi-jacked by the north country anti-pastie league and it as been landed on Lundy island  :no:

Keith,

Edited by Keith George

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Is the good Captain having a paddle, or maybe taking some pics for us?

Negative, Caller, I can confirm that I am 'elsewhere' today, ie. not at Dawlish. In fact, I hereby officially deny that I was ever at Dawlish on this day...

So, it's not me, I wasn't there, not guilty, Guv'nor!

And no, I don't have a special pasty van, I can neither confirm nor deny that I may (or may not) at some stage in the future (or the past) have (or not have) my own personal pasty van (or utilise a public pasty van)...

In fact, the last meal I had from the burger van last week was chilli with rice & chips, and a most cordially agreeable taste it was, too...

By the way you lot, I hope you realise that the food isn't free from these burger vans.... it was at first (with NR meeting the overall bill separately), but now there is a charge per item, with 100% of the cash raised that way going to local charities. That way you put a bit of a control on the urge to order the burger equivilent of a 'Shaggy super sandwich'... ;)

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I reckon that it as been hi-jacked by the north country anti-pastie league and it as been landed on Lundy island  :no:

Keith,

I'll have to be careful here.   When I took Long Preston to Redruth we of course had some lovely big fresh pasties for the exhibitors lunches.  I realised by Sunday that people were watching me eat and I had apparently caused consternation by eating both ends first.  I said they could put it down to me being a foreigner born in Cumberland and exiled most of my life in Yorkshire.  Apparently they had never ever seen someone eat a pastie from both ends.

Jamie

• Like 1

In fact, the last meal I had from the burger van last week was chilli with rice & chips

That's why it's getting "windy" again down there!

By the way you lot, I hope you realise that the food isn't free 

You of all people should know there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Keep up the good work Tim. :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like something one might expect to find on a rather different sort of website.....

Indeed, but as this is a family show, it was a case of (before the charity charging regime came into force)...'would you like another burger with your burger, Sir? Yes, OK then, how about a couple of sausages and a slice of cheese on top of that? Yes? OK then, how about a couple of slices of bacon on top of the cheese, Sir? You would? OK then, and what's that, you'd like another couple of burgers on top of the bacon? Fine, that's no problem. Sorry? You'd like that order twice, - for your mate up on the platform, no problem at all.....Well, that will take a couple of minutes to prepare, do have a pasty while you're waiting - oh, OK then, have a couple....!'

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Backtracking slightly to before the talk of Shaggy Super Sandwiches (like, zoiks, Scoob!)

Letting the landslip material be disposed of into the sea is a good idea & might replenish the beach slightly (although once it's spread out it will probably only be a few grains thick!)

Hey one of them has escaped, bloomin useless security. I thought they were there to keep the slaves oops I mean workers in!

On a serious note I take my hat off to the speed and the amount of work that has been carried out at the various sites. Take a bow gentlemen!

Edited by royaloak

Backtracking slightly to before the talk of Shaggy Super Sandwiches (like, zoiks, Scoob!)

Letting the landslip material be disposed of into the sea is a good idea & might replenish the beach slightly (although once it's spread out it will probably only be a few grains thick!)

I hope the sea disposes it well. I walked along the beach from Teignmouth to Sprey Point (as far as we are allowed to walk at present) today at low water. The sand has been built up quite heavily in some areas against the wall. 2 of the steps that lead down from the sea wall to the beach have hand rails that now disappear into the sand.

I maybe wrong, I usually am, but I seem to remember that the Channel Tunnel waste was pumped out into the Channel at-least at this side!