Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

70 not being tested for being waterproof along there then? Do I remember something a few years back when some X Country set failed due to spray getting into the elastic band drive thingy?  It looked a bit rough in some of the recent pics (the sea not the Class 70) and the weather is quite good. It must be 'interesting' along there when the line is open and the sea is 'up'! Is there some sort of limit where Units are 'stopped' due to the 'washover/spray?

P

Major incidents involving Voyagers in October 2004 and December 2005.

Yes, there are trigger levels and a complete Operating Protocol to govern it, plus a sophisticated externally-sourced weather forecast every 12 hours.

I could go on (but I won't), suffice to say that the whole thing is tightly controlled and managed.

• Like 3

Looks as though it could be a little bit damp this morning

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

been out most of the day

was in Dawlish at 10 am today,

waves were hitting the wall & going up 20ft in the air

washed over the line into  Marine Parade

Amey, Bam Nuttal, & one other were down there pronto checking the resin bonding

Was unsafe for a while to go either way along the sea wall walks

what people forget is that once your knocked off your feet

there is nothing to grab hold of

the stonework is all polished by the waves

and there are no railings or steelwork to grab hold of

so

swoosh over the edge  you go

Edited by Granitechops

Indeed there is a riverside cinder path all the way up to The Higher Ferry. Alas Britannia Halt is no more. It was demolished some years ago unfortunately by a previous management. 

our school trains used to stop there some mornings for visitors for Brittania Colledge to alight,

If I remember correctly it was only about 20 ft long ( but the memory IS getting dim that was 1956!)

• Like 1

yesterday at Dawlish Warren I could drive right onto the beach with my buggy

overnight the sand level had dropped leaving a step that I could not drive over!!

this morning the edge was 4 inches by the wall

& about 9 inches at the outer end

post-22449-0-94087200-1397670562.jpg

post-22449-0-00405600-1397670598.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

yesterday at Dawlish Warren I could drive right onto the beach with my buggy

overnight the sand level had dropped leaving a step that I could not drive over!!

this morning the edge was 4 inches by the wall

& about 9 inches at the outer end

attachicon.gif100_4890 (Small).JPG

attachicon.gif100_4889 (Small).JPG

It does seem and has been mentioned before that the beach is very dynamic and is constatly changing.

In front of where the major breech was the beach has come and gone several times over the decades.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Actually, I'm somewhat saddened to see that up for sale so soon. Can't folk simply enjoy their stick of rock, or give it to some relation kiddie somewhere? Why try to make money out of a gift under these circumstances?

maybe  time for trapped vehicles to escape

Assuming some haven't done so already....

Utilities next, I believe, then a proper Tarmac surface next week.

It does seem and has been mentioned before that the beach is very dynamic and is constatly changing.

In front of where the major breech was the beach has come and gone several times over the decades.

Agreed, and this is precisely why we found it necessary to build the deep toe foundations between 10 and 15 years ago, without which, we would have been looking at the loss of much more of the wall this winter just gone.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Actually, I'm somewhat saddened to see that up for sale so soon. Can't folk simply enjoy their stick of rock, or give it to some relation kiddie somewhere? Why try to make money out of a gift under these circumstances?

Indeed, also odd that they are in Penarth?  Pleased to see nobody has bid a fiver yet, I don't think he's going to get rich

Photos from this morning 10am  ish

No storm just an onshore stiff sea breeze

very choppy seas

post-22449-0-35336800-1397675247_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-72162800-1397675312_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-71799400-1397675474_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-05359800-1397675361_thumb.jpg

taken when the waves had abated a bit as the tide went out

you can just see the pools on the road side

post-22449-0-09119100-1397675526_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-50320100-1397675565_thumb.jpg

contrast this

post-22449-0-65973200-1397675673_thumb.jpg

with this taken monday

post-22449-0-92429500-1397675855.jpg

• Like 7

Debris thrown up overnight under viaduct at Dawlish town

post-22449-0-68178300-1397676673_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-49860000-1397676698_thumb.jpg

Just a correction to one of my earlier posts

the shingle to the right of the main breakwater

post-22449-0-62082500-1397676788_thumb.jpg

was NOT banked up by the sea

it was what had been washed up under the viaducts ( 3-4 ft deep)

in the second February storm & repatriated unto the arms of the ocean by the contractors

seen here right up under the tea bar The Pirates Chest

post-22449-0-61594600-1397676976_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thing is, with the sand gone AWOL there's very little to stop the waves from hitting the wall with some force. With even a steeply sloping beach there's an angle that dissipates a lot of the force. I think there'll be a lot of this until the beach returns.

Yuch, that looks like a serious sewer slick just off the wall.....

Yes It does look that way

but I dont think there are any sewer pipes anywhere along there

they all run inland along the main Dawlish Exeter road to the works at the Warren

More likely its the 'fresh ' water out from Dawlish Brook the enters the sea under the Viaduct

could be farm run off red  soil etc

The Brook in Spate ( well after it had calmed down somewhat)

it had actually overflowed all the footpaths & the zebra crossing by the Viaduct

post-22449-0-39765300-1397678039.jpg

I'd like to know which expletive deleted authorised a compressor to still be running at present (23.40) tonight in Teignmouth rear yard. I'd show him where to park it! Luckily I am not as close as some of the houses.

I'd like to know which expletive deleted authorised a compressor to still be running at present (23.40) tonight in Teignmouth rear yard. I'd show him where to park it! Luckily I am not as close as some of the houses.

NR told me that a possession was in place between dawlish and na. He was not aware of any particular work at Teignmouth. Complaint ref no 3943816.

2 months of no trains to do such work!

Edited by lightengine

• RMweb Gold

No apologies if it's been said already, but a big thanks to Granitechops for the dedicated on-the-spot reporting since Captain Kernow has departed back to his normal (?) routine.

Actually, I've just not had time, work-wise, Dawlish is still right up there on the work radar, but the focus inevitably shifts somewhat once the trains start running. Much effort is now being put into the behind-the-scenes planning etc. to ensure that the remaining works get completed.

I'm very grateful to Granitechops for his webcam image captures, which are most helpful in showing progress on the restoration of the road.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

NR told me that a possession was in place between dawlish and na. He was not aware of any particular work at Teignmouth. Complaint ref no 3943816.

2 months of no trains to do such work!

I think this is work on the down platform, which I observed when my Down Voyager stopped there on Monday evening. Not sure about the background yet, I don't think it's 'our' work as such... If a formal complaint has been raised, best let that take its course.