Washout at Dawlish

Could some one explain about the train tracker diagram?

On the diagram we presumably have:

Dxxx = Dawlish controlled block

Exxx = Exeter controlled block

So what are Uxxx blocks?

Cheers

Keith

Think Exxx are controlled signals

Dxxx are down line auto signals

Uxxx are up line auto signals.

HTH

Jeff.

• RMweb Gold

HTH

Jeff.

I've just had a proper look at the 'train tracker' thing, and Jeff is exactly right.

The number associated with an auto signal berth indicates the closest full milepost, so 'D206' actually refers to the real signal 'DM206', which is an auto signal on the Down Main line, approx 206 miles from Paddington (via Bristol).

• RMweb Premium

HTH

Jeff.

I've just had a proper look at the 'train tracker' thing, and Jeff is exactly right.

The number associated with an auto signal berth indicates the closest full milepost, so 'D206' actually refers to the real signal 'DM206', which is an auto signal on the Down Main line, approx 206 miles from Paddington (via Bristol).

Thanks guys.

I'm used to seeing signals with just a straightforward identification e.g SY205 = Saltley 205, no up, down or anything else.

Keith

EDIT What are 203A and 203B?

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys.

I'm used to seeing signals with just a straightforward identification e.g SY205 = Saltley 205, no up, down or anything else.

Keith

EDIT What are 203A and 203B?

The suffixes are used when there is more than a single auto with a particular milepost mileage.  The big advantage of the WR (and ER) auto signal numbering system is that you can fairly quickly work out where they are and which line the signal applies to - which is not very easy when they carry a signalbox prefix as in the LMR system and nowadays the standard system.  Quite why the change to the LM system has been made I really can't understand but it was probably due to the LM representative on a particular committee having the loudest voice (cynic mode disengaged).

By that logic, wouldn't there be another DM206 near Court Sart Junction in South Wales (junction of the Swansea High Street and Swansea District Lines)? How would they be differentiated to avoid confusion - or are they far enough apart that the numbers can be duplicated?

(I think in practice the signals at Court Sart have the PT prefix (Port Talbot), though there must be other instances where there are signals the same distance from Paddington on different routes - for example there will be places on the Berks & Hants, 1835 GWML, Bristol & South Wales Direct and Swindon-Gloucester line which are all equidistant from Paddington).

• RMweb Gold

By that logic, wouldn't there be another DM206 near Court Sart Junction in South Wales (junction of the Swansea High Street and Swansea District Lines)? How would they be differentiated to avoid confusion - or are they far enough apart that the numbers can be duplicated?

(I think in practice the signals at Court Sart have the PT prefix (Port Talbot), though there must be other instances where there are signals the same distance from Paddington on different routes - for example there will be places on the Berks & Hants, 1835 GWML, Bristol & South Wales Direct and Swindon-Gloucester line which are all equidistant from Paddington).

Difference is they are not all DM - the B&H autos are prefixed DW and UW east of Westbury (and possibly west thereof too), the Bristol mainline is DM and UM, the Badminton Line is DB and UB, beyond Patchway to STJ is DT and UT although it becomes DM etc again in Wales.  All works remarkably well and has stood the test of time with no problems for over 50 years.

• RMweb Premium

Well I know we have a few RAF/USAF 'staff' on RMWeb!

OK so latest spot just about ten minutes ago was a seabird: some sort of 'Diver' and as it was black I shall look at my birdy ID book to see what it might have been. It wasn't a Cormorant or Sh*g as it was smaller.

Black Throated Diver maybe? Or perhaps a Common Scoter.

I know this isn't Spring Watch but it might add interest for some?

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Well I know we have a few RAF/USAF 'staff' on RMWeb!

OK so latest spot just about ten minutes ago was a seabird: some sort of 'Diver' and as it was black I shall look at my birdy ID book to see what it might have been. It wasn't a Cormorant or Sh*g as it was smaller.

Black Throated Diver maybe? Or perhaps a Common Scoter.

I know this isn't Spring Watch but it might add interest for some?

P

A sooty Mallard off Dawlish Brook perhaps   :scratchhead:

( been a few steamers about recently) :jester:

spotted this brood of 9 mallard chicks 2 days ago on Dawlish  brook just above wehere it flows into the sea

sorry about the quality

post-22449-0-39465300-1398947524_thumb.jpg

EDIT;-

suggestions from wife

Little Auk  ( seen previously off Dawlish)

or Black Guilliemot

Edited by Granitechops

• RMweb Premium

Ohhh sorry chops I thought that was lumps of sewage...... :nono:

Did you know that Mallards usually have loads of chicks as the fatality rate is high? However, as predators are now rarer and food is so much more plentiful, more chicks are surviving, hence the Mallard is becoming far too common. It is also rather a stupid and oversexed species (well the male anyway) and it will mate/try to mate with all sorts of things if it gets the chance.................. :wild:

Think I'd better change my Web name then...........

You didn't see the copter yesterday then?

P

Ohhh sorry chops I thought that was lumps of sewage...... :nono:

Did you know that Mallards usually have loads of chicks as the fatality rate is high? However, as predators are now rarer and food is so much more plentiful, more chicks are surviving, hence the Mallard is becoming far too common. It is also rather a stupid and oversexed species (well the male anyway) and it will mate/try to mate with all sorts of things if it gets the chance.................. :wild:

Think I'd better change my Web name then...........

You didn't see the copter yesterday then?

P

trouble in Dawlish is the high rate of mortality due to all the seagulls, even the Black swans cygnets struggle to survive them

what time was the copter over?

trouble is the live cam went down some tiime yesterday & lost the previous footage

Edited by Granitechops

If you can afford to run that plane you must be.....

It is true to say that Hawker Sidderley built these aircraft at the Brough works in batches of 26 but it was always claimed that there were actually 27 built. The odd one was taken home by some-one. I hasten to say, that person was not me!  OK, a couple "tye wraps" and the odd length of cable (and the even one as well) but not the complete aircraft. Yes I had a "large" dinner bag but that size!!! :nono:

• RMweb Premium

OK so did no one else see that Military Copter on the cam  last evening? It was only about 30' above the line going east.

P

Perhaps it's one of the parents of the little ones that were on here earlier in the thread, looking for it.

SS

• Like 1

trouble in Dawlish is the high rate of mortality due to all the seagulls, even the Black swans cygnets struggle to survive them

what time was the copter over?

trouble is the live cam went down some tiime yesterday & lost the previous footage

Chops

Mallard posted at 19:35 and he was very quick off the mark. Perhaps 19:30 ish flying away to Dawlish Warren. Though I was away from the computer slightly earlier but heard it buzzing around, may not be in cameras shot though