Worseter - update

Killybegs

Only after looking at this shot http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67-how-realistic-are-your-models-photo-challenge/page-143&do=findComment&comment=2099705 , did I notice how poor the profile of the chimney is. I have now been at it with the files and it looks a lot better.

before .... post-7952-0-69484300-1448210670.jpg  after ....post-7952-0-75410500-1448210811.jpg

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 8

Come on John, you just can't gloss over the draft curtains, how did you do them and more importantly how are they fixed? This is usually one of the areas a number of models let themselves down with. So it'd be good to get some details that I can cadge :-)

MIke

Come on John, you just can't gloss over the draft curtains, how did you do them and more importantly how are they fixed? This is usually one of the areas a number of models let themselves down with. So it'd be good to get some details that I can cadge :-)

MIke

The draft curtains are made from black tissue paper, folded up to make a concertina. I found the smallest width that I could fold was about 1.5mm. Each fold was started against the edge of a steel rule then finished between my fingers. Turn it over and fold again and so on. You need to cut the bottom edge on a slope before you start folding. Once finished and with the top edge trimmed to size, one end is secured to the tender with superglue.

You asked earlier about colouring the motion and valve gear. This was done with gun blue which turns nickel silver brown. You can control how brown by the length of time you leave the gun blue on before washing it off. The various bits can then be polished with cotton buds or a soft cloth. The surface does need to be absolutely clean before you start and you need to make sure that there's no solder on the surface as the gun blue doesn't like it!

"one end is secured to the tender with superglue."

You asked earlier about colouring the motion and valve gear. This was done with gun blue which turns nickel silver brown. You can control how brown by the length of time you leave the gun blue on before washing it off. The various bits can then be polished with cotton buds or a soft cloth. The surface does need to be absolutely clean before you start and you need to make sure that there's no solder on the surface as the gun blue doesn't like it!

And you didn't get any white pluming from the fumes? I can't tell from the photos if your "draft excluder" goes over the top of the tender as well? If it does then really well done. I shall certainly give that a go once the 45xx is finished and it's wheels are back from a well known Tewkesbury wheel fitting expert.

Can I just thank you for all the marvelous tips you've given away during this absorbing build. I'd love to see this beauty in the flesh, you've certainly pushed modeling boundaries back with this model. Can't wait to see the beast once you've let some grime (but not too much) at her.

Wonderful!

Mike

Not sure what you mean by white pluming. You can get a white deposit on solder if the gun blue is not all washed off.

Looking at prototype photographs, the draft curtains only go up to the point where the roof is extended back to the tender.

70018 would have been fairly grubby prior to going in for a major overhaul, but I don't think I am going to go that far with the weathering. I have just picked up 'British Steam BR Standard Locomotives' by Keith Langston which has quite a lot of colour pics ranging from bright and shiny to downright filthy. It also has two colour pics taken from the top of a coaling plant, showing weathering on the top of the locos.

• Like 2

70018 is back from the weathering shed and is waiting for some replacement draft curtains. The loco and tender had a good scrub before submitting to the airbrush and tissue paper doesn't like water! I will need to tone down the cylinder covers a bit, that's just weathering powder on their at the moment, so that's not a problem. I hope it's not too grubby for some people's taste.

post-7952-0-02459500-1448453466_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Very nice, John. I also prefer the weathered version as being more representative of the era. Just one point, can i suggest you straighten out the upper/rear section of the regulator operating rod? It rather catches the eye.

Regards,

Dave.

I meant to do that before weathering it, Oops!

Job done, thanks for the reminder Dave

Edited by Killybegs

• RMweb Gold

I like the weathering but particularly because of the effect which John was trying to achieve - an engine on high mileage shortly due for shopping.  Canton looked after its Brits very well for some years but attention fell off as they came up for transfer elsewhere or were hitting high, pre-shopping, mileages.  Their early visual condition thus gradually declined in two sets of crcumstances.