Worseter - update

Killybegs

• 2 weeks later...

..... and here's the finished article ......

post-7952-0-96588400-1490524329_thumb.jpg

Nothing much happening on Worseter at the moment but I have done all the 'building work' for the fancy dust cover. Now waiting on Steph to doing the sewing bit!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Things have been a bit quiet on the modelling front for the last month but I have made a start on some wagons that will sit on the front siding. I started by building a Parkside Dundas Grampus but then realised it was fitted and I wanted mine unfitted and the brake gear therefore wasn't correct. I asked Justin Newett (Rumney Models) if he had anything suitable, to which he replied that, yes I could use something from one of his kits. However he also said that he would be bringing out a Grampus chassis later in the year and that was just too tempting. So the Grampus was set aside for the time being. There will also be a few coal wagons sitting on that siding, waiting to go up on to the coaling ramp, so I decided I might as well 'super detail' those as well. Good practice for the Grampus!

Two welded and one riveted body were assembled and 'improved' while I waited for the etches to arrive. The Parkside Dundas 109 didn't need much work but the Airfix 108's required a bit more. Here is the first one sitting on its chassis.

post-7952-0-88879900-1495015097_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-78188500-1495015139_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Photographs are very good at showing up faults. I hadn't noticed how badley the bottoms of the corner frames are moulded, not even reaching the bottom of the sides. These have now been cut back, filled with styrene and files to shape. The airfix body is actually too narrow and I had to file back the wagon side support brackets as they were sitting out way to far. They do appear to project a little bit on the prototype but it is difficult to see by how much from photographs. The eagle eyed may also have spotted that one of the door springs had got bent in, that's now been put right as well.

post-7952-0-97333500-1495036938_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I wonder if the Parkside body is the same?

I don't have one but, looking at the photo on the Rumney Models web site, they don't look as bad. However, the moulding generally doesn't look as crisp as the Airfix. The door framing on the Airfix is, however, over done and needs thinning down. There are actually three thicknesses of door framing. I reduced everything to the middle thickness then built up the thickest and further reduced the thinnest (at the side eadges of the doors and not moulded on the Parkside Dundas version). The Airfix one needs the hinges and door catches modifying. I also reduced the thickness of the sides, but only for the top 4mm as the wagons will be loaded.

Nah. This one.

attachicon.gif16tMinAfix-Dap-09-AbitOflange.gif

and this one. (with added dents).

attachicon.gif16tMinAfix-Dap-11-edit.jpg

I do like a bit  of flange. The sun highlights them quite well in this pic.

6458944667_748e49cc9d_b.jpg65879 Seaton Bank 4.9.67 by George Woods, on Flickr

:smile_mini2:

P

Fair comment! It seems that while most had the flange, some didn't, possible those built by Pressed Steel. Needless to say it was a photo of one of those that I had in front of me! Humble pie eaten. Obviously I have a bit more work to do.

Lovely.

The phots I have of Pressed Steel 16 tonners all have the flange.

This is a detail of Ex. works Pressed Steel minfiits. My thoughts are, most probably all of the welded had the flange as it's an extension of the floor plate to which the upper body was welded, the exception being the re-bodies, the majority of which had the distinctive floor rolled into the sides. (With the increasing use of profile burning at wagon works.)

post-508-0-49468600-1495102334.jpg

It's one of those things that once you know it's there it sticks out (pun intended) like the proverbial saw thumb.

6935427564_738a5d755f_b.jpg48423 Rose Grove May 1968 by George Woods, on Flickr

Somebody is now going to post  a photo to blow all my theories out of the water.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Things have been a bit quiet on the modelling front for the last month but I have made a start on some wagons that will sit on the front siding. I started by building a Parkside Dundas Grampus but then realised it was fitted and I wanted mine unfitted and the brake gear therefore wasn't correct. I asked Justin Newett (Rumney Models) if he had anything suitable, to which he replied that, yes I could use something from one of his kits. However he also said that he would be bringing out a Grampus chassis later in the year and that was just too tempting. So the Grampus was set aside for the time being. There will also be a few coal wagons sitting on that siding, waiting to go up on to the coaling ramp, so I decided I might as well 'super detail' those as well. Good practice for the Grampus!Two welded and one riveted body were assembled and 'improved' while I waited for the etches to arrive. The Parkside Dundas 109 didn't need much work but the Airfix 108's required a bit more. Here is the first one sitting on its chassis.attachicon.gifMineral 01.jpgattachicon.gifMineral 02.jpg

Grampus chassis? I was under the impression that Justin was doing a 4mm version of his 7mm details etch but the chassis of as well? WIBBLE

Flanges now added. Thanks Porcy. That's a great photo for detail by the way. Most shots are side on only.attachicon.gifMineral 04.jpg

Another tasty morsel to add to the data file, merci Monster Porty.

Splendidly done on this beastie as well, wagon port par excellence

John, How did you actually do that? 5 thou plastic card? Is it just added to the bottom edge of the body or is it on the front face?

Dave.

Yes, it's a strip of 5 thou plastic card fixed to the underside of the body between the side support brackets.

• 2 weeks later...

Having finished the second 108, I have now started work on a 109 chassis and I need a little help. The etch includes body support brackets that project from the solebar to the bottom of the stanchions. Looking at various photographs, it looks as though there may be a vertical gusset between the back of the stanchions and the solebar as part of the support bracket. It's an area that is not easy to see, so it could be my imagination. Any advice from the experts out there would me much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...