Worseter - update

Killybegs

Looks smashing John but do I detect the omission of a Blue Route Availability disc on the cabside?  (or is it on post-WR condition?)

It's covered with grime Mike. You just can't get the cleaning staff these days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hands up, I was fibbing, it's not there. Why not, because all the pics I have of WR 9F's in the fifties don't have them.

attachicon.gifRoute coding.jpg

Interesting - I wonder when they started putting them on?  I can definitely remember engines in the final Swindon built series having them but that was some years later.  And of course the first batch were built in the land of heathens at Crewe where such finesse was probably not understood beyond the GWR shed at Gresty Lane.

• Like 1

John,

Loco is looking superb. Go on; pluck up the courage to tackle those wheels. I can hardly wait to see it looking complete.

Bearing my own recent electrical issues (with models, I hasten to add), have you got the pick-up arrangements sorted?

Dave.

John,

Loco is looking superb. Go on; pluck up the courage to tackle those wheels. I can hardly wait to see it looking complete.

Bearing my own recent electrical issues (with models, I hasten to add), have you got the pick-up arrangements sorted?

Dave.

Thanks Dave. In answer to your question, yes in theory, but it is going the be very congested!

Interesting - I wonder when they started putting them on?  I can definitely remember engines in the final Swindon built series having them but that was some years later.  And of course the first batch were built in the land of heathens at Crewe where such finesse was probably not understood beyond the GWR shed at Gresty Lane.

Mmm interesting, thought I'd seen it somewhere, there's a reference to it in the Ian Allan 1955 combine ' Since 1920 Western Region locomotives have been classified for power and weight by a letter in a coloured disc on the cab-side'.

• RMweb Gold

Mmm interesting, thought I'd seen it somewhere, there's a reference to it in the Ian Allan 1955 combine ' Since 1920 Western Region locomotives have been classified for power and weight by a letter in a coloured disc on the cab-side'.

I've checked whatever pics I can find plus of course the one 'Killybegs' posted above and I can't find one of the initial batch of Crewe built Ebbw Jcn engines with a Blue RA disc.  The final batch of Swindon engines definitely had them and I can remember making sure that I put one on my Kitmaster 2-10-0 back in those days so I was copying what I'd seen on the railway of that time.   What is not known - to me at any rate - is if/when the original Ebbw engines got the discs but I would presume it would be on shopping at Swindon?

I've checked whatever pics I can find plus of course the one 'Killybegs' posted above and I can't find one of the initial batch of Crewe built Ebbw Jcn engines with a Blue RA disc.  The final batch of Swindon engines definitely had them and I can remember making sure that I put one on my Kitmaster 2-10-0 back in those days so I was copying what I'd seen on the railway of that time.   What is not known - to me at any rate - is if/when the original Ebbw engines got the discs but I would presume it would be on shopping at Swindon?

It's not quite that straight forward Mike. A quick trawl came up with the following:

Locos with Blue RA disc

92000    May 1960   Double chimney fitted  

92222    July 1962

Locos with no disc

92003    March 1954

92004    March 1954

92006    March 1963 Double chimney fitted

92207    June 1959

92215    May 1960

92216    Sept 1963

92229    May 1960

92241    May 1959

It's definitely a case of making sure you have a photo of your chosen loco in your chosen period!

• Like 1

John,

Loco is looking superb. Go on; pluck up the courage to tackle those wheels.

There is a good reason why I have been putting off fitting the wheels. They are a force fit onto the axles and can only be separated with a good wheel puller. This is fine for those wheel sets that can be dropped out (1,2,3 & 5) but, because of the current configuration of the chassis and gearbox/motor, wheel set 4 will have to be assembled in-situ, after which it will not be possible to remove them without some sort of bespoke wheel puller. I was not aware of this problem when I built the chassis. OK, so maybe the wheel set/gearbox will never need to come out again but you never know!

So, I have gone back to thinking about what I would have done if I had been aware of the situation before I built the chassis. The problem is the frame spacer between wheels 4 and 5. If it wasn't there, the wheel set and gearbox could be dropped out from below after removing the motor. I had previously thought that I wouldn't be able to access the motor retaining screws in-situ, but I have tried this morning and it is possible, just! I am therefore proposing to cut out the offending frame spacer as the chassis is rigid enough with the firebox is soldered in place. However, this spacer also secures the rear end of the wheel retaining plate/spring support, so I propose to extend the latter to the rear chassis mounting point, where it will be retained by the chassis fixing screw.

I will probably still assemble the wheel set in-situ (it's one thing getting the screws out of the motor mount, getting them back in could be a bit of a b****r!) but at least I will be able to drop it out if needs be.

OK, so here's progress so far. The extending arms are 2x1mm rectangular tube. The redundant mounting will still be used for power collection purposes.

post-7952-0-38271300-1482069721_thumb.jpg

Next it's out with the disc cutter to remove the frame spacer.

• Like 4

Postscript. Frame spacer successfully removed and it's much easier than I thought it would be to attach the motor to the gearbox inside the frames. So I can now confidently drop the gearbox and wheel set out whenever I wish. If I need to remove the wheel set from the gearbox, I will have to file up a steel washer to slot behind the wheel so that I can use my GW wheel puller bearing on that to avoid ripping the tyre off the wheel.

A very productive couple of hours work.

• Like 3

I may have missed the post but what colour do you use for the motion on your steam locos?

A Merry Xmas to you and yours.

Terry

I use gun blue (rather than paint) which comes out pretty much the right sort of colour on nickel silver.

John,

Dave.

Dave, you will be pleased to hear that I have started on the wheels and I haven't jumped off a bridge or killed anyone yet. Four sets fitted and running smoothly with coupling rods on. I had some unexplained binding on one con rod/piston/cross-head slide bar which wasn't there before but a liberal dose of Jif (or whatever it's called these days) and several minutes whacking it in an out (so to speak) seems to have cured the problem. It's been fiddly getting the wheels flush with the ends of the axles. I seem to end up with a few thou sticking out one end and a similar recess at the other end. I have double checked by GW quartering jig and that's no causing it. Anyway, a slight tweak with the Exactoscale wheel puller gets rid of the projection and another visit to the vice sees everything nice and flush. Dropping one wheel set on the floor wasn't a good idea. Naturally it landed on a crank pin and needless to say it was the centre drivers, so I had a crank pin and long bush to straighten out. I think I have had enough stress for one day, so, hopefully, the last pair of wheels will be done in the morning. If so, I will post a pic.

• Like 4

...... I haven't jumped off a bridge or killed anyone yet.

Good grief that's a relief. I can also stop looking over my shoulder all the time now  :triniti: It will be nice to see the results John.

W.r.t. your GW press I presume you have adjusted the spring tensions on the plungers as best as you can so that they are matched?  Having said that it would be very hard to verify that they are correctly balanced without sensitive measuring equipment. Also I suspect my manufacturing tolerance and the friction resulting from very slight surface finish changes in axle/bore contact will also be a factor.  It sounds like you have found both a practical and pragmatic way round it.  It's exactly how I would have solved it.

Cheers....Morgan

Edited by 45609
  • Like 1

This is the final pic before signing off for the festive season, during which I am unlikely to get a lot more done. The next job will be to drop the wheel sets out, tidy up the crank pins, then clean and paint them. Once they have been re-installed and tested again, the return cranks and the rest of the valve gear will be fitted, tested again, then on with the brake gear.If nothing is shorting out at that stage, the power collection will be fitted (I have already fitted it to all the tender wheels). Something to keep me busy in the New Year!

post-7952-0-87579900-1482316803_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

This is the final pic before signing off for the festive season, during which I am unlikely to get a lot more done. The next job will be to drop the wheel sets out, tidy up the crank pins, then clean and paint them. Once they have been re-installed and tested again, the return cranks and the rest of the valve gear will be fitted, tested again, then on with the brake gear.If nothing is shorting out at that stage, the power collection will be fitted (I have already fitted it to all the tender wheels). Something to keep me busy in the New Year!

attachicon.gif92006.78.jpg

Superb John - and Morgan!  This is what I was waiting to see - she really is looking the part now!

attachicon.gif92006.78.jpg

Hi John,

The 9F really looks the part with the wheels added - congratulations. I look forward to seeing it up and running in the new year.

Robin

Mr Darch...stunning! and it's not even finished. Completely convincing model. I hate to say it but you may have surpassed the Brit with this. No matter where it runs it's going to be the head turner! I hope this is going to visit a large layout in Tewkesbury?

Wishing you a very Happy Christmas and peaceful New Year.

Mike