Worseter - update

Killybegs

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/04/2022 at 14:02, Phil Bullock said:

Slipped in to a parallel universe again today…. 

1DC6DFC8-23EC-4ED6-89AA-366FA4046A2A.jpeg

Thanks Phil, I had the same pic sent to me by my friend Chris who I believe you met at the show. Hope you are well.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Killybegs said:

Thanks Phil, I had the same pic sent to me by my friend Chris who I believe you met at the show. Hope you are well.

Thanks John yes indeed got chatting to Chris and realised we both knew your good self…. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Killybegs said:

While waiting to pick up some paint from the UK for the above rake of coaches, I made a start on converting a Hornby 72xx tank loco to P4 using Brassmasters EasiChas kit and Ultrascale wheels. I'd had the wheels for years from when, back in the mists of time, I was going to scratch build a body in styrene and stick it on an Alan Gibson chassis. That never happened and the Hornby loco and conversion kit have been in my to do box for some time as well.

The loco is now finished and ready to go into service on Worseter.

1301066768_722006.jpg.36b7b4ab212ec0b26e7e8550807658d2.jpg

Lovely work, John. Looks spot on. 

All the best,

Nick.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

John,

That 72XX looks just right.

I’ve been battling with a 42XX EasiChas for a while - I don’t like the idea of re-using the Hornby pony truck. What have you used on yours as it looks like it’s got much more finesse than the Hornby one?

Thanks

Jeremy

• Thanks 1

Jeremy,

I cut off the guard irons and fabricated new ones. The coupling pocket needed filing back and I fitted a representation of the AWS pickup from styrene. 

It's very important to make sure the retaining plate fits snugly inside inside the fold up chassis and that both of these and the Hornby chassis are absolutely true. I soldered a washer under the second screw hole in the retaining plate where there is nothing between it and the Hornby chassis. This needs to be exactly the same thickness as the fold up chassis.

Otherwise I pretty much just followed the instructions.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Jeremy,

Another tip. When it comes to painting, temporarily bolt the fold up chassis and retaining plate together so that yo don't get any paint on the abutting faces. You will also need to mask off the chassis for the bearings as there are no hornguides. It's probably worth chemically blackening the area before hand as any bare metal exposed when you remove the masking will show through behind the wheels. As the bearings themselves are quite large, it's also worth blackening the outer faces of those as well.

If you do have any specific problems, I will do my best to help.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks John. 

I started doing this ages ago and couldn’t get it to run smoothly. Eventually I worked out that the gear meshing was way out meaning the gears weren’t turning freely. Once I’d solved that I have managed to get the basic chassis up and running. 

The pony truck has been causing me issues as I wasn’t happy with the Hornby design. Having just done an EasiChas on a 51XX, which has a lovely etched pony as part of the kit, I looked at alternative options. I had decided on a Comet part but couldn’t work out how to mount it. Your comments have helped and I’ve used the Comet one to create a cosmetic wrapper around the original casting. This looks like it’ll work but the proof will be when I try it out once the epoxy has cured. 

Thanks for the painting tips too. I’ll get there in the end! 

Jeremy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/01/2023 at 15:52, Killybegs said:

Jeremy,

Another tip. When it comes to painting, temporarily bolt the fold up chassis and retaining plate together so that yo don't get any paint on the abutting faces. You will also need to mask off the chassis for the bearings as there are no hornguides. It's probably worth chemically blackening the area before hand as any bare metal exposed when you remove the masking will show through behind the wheels. As the bearings themselves are quite large, it's also worth blackening the outer faces of those as well.

If you do have any specific problems, I will do my best to help.

Thanks for these tips, John, should be useful for me as well, in due course. Was only thinking about my own 72XX project the other day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Killybegs said:

Latest addition to the Worseter loco roster. The loco was converted to P4 for me by Robin Whittle (Barrow Road). I built a Lanarkshire Models chassis for the tender and did the weathering. Needs  a bit of detail weathering but I thought I would take advantage of a nice sunny day here in Donegal. I need to order some more crew and lamps at some point (I have several locos that still need staffing) and put some coal in the tender.

1225651961_4556306.jpg.26a5be664fc5126f439e5666b64d327a.jpg

Very nice, John. I have to say that the Jubilees with the Stanier tender are, to my eyes, probably the best-looking of all  steam locos.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, JeffP said:

Where was that, please?

Shrub Hill road Worcester on the vinegar branch. See The Vinegar Branch Worcester.

Unfortunately Mr Killybegs will get a form 1 for sending a large tank loco down the branch … nothing heavier than a 16xx pannier allowed. A 204 hp shunter was allegedly tried but got stuck… 

Very nicely modelled there! 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

17 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Shrub Hill road Worcester on the vinegar branch. See The Vinegar Branch Worcester.

Unfortunately Mr Killybegs will get a form 1 for sending a large tank loco down the branch … nothing heavier than a 16xx pannier allowed. A 204 hp shunter was allegedly tried but got stuck… 

Very nicely modelled there! 

Now, now Phil, as you well know, its only based on the Shrub Hill Road crossing. On Worseter (not Worcester) the crossing is on the line that serves Worseter MPD. I am lead to believe that there is photographic evidence that a 9F appeared on shed on one occasion. There must have been a lot of wheel squealing on the tight curves!

By the way, how's your layout coming along?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

Now, now Phil, as you well know, its only based on the Shrub Hill Road crossing. On Worseter (not Worcester) the crossing is on the line that serves Worseter MPD. I am lead to believe that there is photographic evidence that a 9F appeared on shed on one occasion. There must have been a lot of wheel squealing on the tight curves!

By the way, how's your layout coming along?

Hee hee I expected you to plead that the vinegar branch is prototypically connected to the engine shed John. That is a super recreation of an iconic railway feature….

As for my layout did you see the photos in the layout thread Here . Nowhere near as advanced as yours but coming along…. Weather hasn’t been good enough to get outside lately and even more worrying I have been drawn in to helping/advising with another layout based on Wadborough and Pirton Sidings … the next box down from Abbotswood . It’s all Hornbys fault… their All Saints church is based on Pirton church, apparently every clerical member of the diocese has the model and they want a layout to display it on in time for a historic buildings festival in September. A 12 x 6 roundy roundy with push button public operation is on the cards….

• Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Hee hee I expected you to plead that the vinegar branch is prototypically connected to the engine shed John. That is a super recreation of an iconic railway feature….

As for my layout did you see the photos in the layout thread Here . Nowhere near as advanced as yours but coming along…. Weather hasn’t been good enough to get outside lately and even more worrying I have been drawn in to helping/advising with another layout based on Wadborough and Pirton Sidings … the next box down from Abbotswood . It’s all Hornbys fault… their All Saints church is based on Pirton church, apparently every clerical member of the diocese has the model and they want a layout to display it on in time for a historic buildings festival in September. A 12 x 6 roundy roundy with push button public operation is on the cards….

You obviously need a bigger house Phil!! The layout is looking good so far.

Can we assume that the roundy roundy with lots of Pirton churches on it will be appearing in the next series of the Hornby show. Hee hee!!!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...