'New' GBRf locos?

Fat Controller

From page 44 of today's Independent:-

"GB Railfreight is close to a deal to buy trains that will export anything from fridges to bottles of water on the Eurotunnel. The 16 locomotives will transform it into DB Schenker's main rival on exporting through the Channel Tunnel"

The style suggest's it's a press release (perhaps badly translated, rather than badly-written), but I can see nothing relevant on either GBRf or Europorte's press releases. Any idea what the locos might be?

I do find a couple of things amusing:-

The emphasis on exporting, especially as the flow is currently in the opposite direction. I suppose they might try bottling some of the floodwater..

The idea of them being transformed into DBS's 'main rival' for traffic through the Channel Tunnel- as far as I'm aware, they're already DBS's only rival, as SNCF threw in the towel a while back.

I have a suspicion that either Eurotunnel's announced a paper transfer of the Class 92s to its subsiduary as a sale, or a journalist has simply 'cut and pasted' an old press release without looking at the date.

From page 44 of today's Independent:-

"GB Railfreight is close to a deal to buy trains that will export anything from fridges to bottles of water on the Eurotunnel. The 16 locomotives will transform it into DB Schenker's main rival on exporting through the Channel Tunnel"

The style suggest's it's a press release (perhaps badly translated, rather than badly-written), but I can see nothing relevant on either GBRf or Europorte's press releases. Any idea what the locos might be?

I do find a couple of things amusing:-

The emphasis on exporting, especially as the flow is currently in the opposite direction. I suppose they might try bottling some of the floodwater..

The idea of them being transformed into DBS's 'main rival' for traffic through the Channel Tunnel- as far as I'm aware, they're already DBS's only rival, as SNCF threw in the towel a while back.

I have a suspicion that either Eurotunnel's announced a paper transfer of the Class 92s to its subsiduary as a sale, or a journalist has simply 'cut and pasted' an old press release without looking at the date.

Brian,

GBRf have "bought" the 16 92's from Parent Company Europorte.

HTH

Mike

Brian,

GBRf have "bought" the 16 92's from Parent Company Europorte.

HTH

Mike

'Tis to be hoped they do something about availability; I believe ony six are runners at present.  These can about cope with the current Channel Tunnel Traffic and the 'out-shedded' Ipswich- Manchester diagram. Hopefully, this means that there might be some new flows; Europorte have taken six of 'my' drivers on full-time work (they were shared between us and Europorte), whilst DBS have had another four, so someone must be expecting something..

Out of interest, where did you find this?

I gave up reading 'Rail' when it transformed into a 'trade' magazine.

But Brian, you are 'in the trade'

Brian R

PS

Don't mention Saturday !

In reverse order:-

I wasn't going to, though I did have the consolation of Scarlets winning away (OK, it was Treviso..)

I am in the trade; however, Rail to me is not in depth enough to be for 'professional' consumption, but is not really an enthusiast mag. For the former, I stick with Modern Railways (which I have copies of dating back to 1968), and for the latter (and modelling), I'll go with Rail Express.

'Tis to be hoped they do something about availability; I believe ony six are runners at present.  These can about cope with the current Channel Tunnel Traffic and the 'out-shedded' Ipswich- Manchester diagram. Hopefully, this means that there might be some new flows; Europorte have taken six of 'my' drivers on full-time work (they were shared between us and Europorte), whilst DBS have had another four, so someone must be expecting something..

Out of interest, where did you find this?

Only five are runners currently, 92028 is dumped at Coquelles in need of repair. They currently have 3 diagrams with Ipswich-Trafford Park 'liners, the Carlisle-Mossend departmental, and the bottled water to Daventry, but they're also taking over the Dagenham-Garston flow from DBS, so they'll need a fourth 92 for that too. Better get fixing 92028...

Only five are runners currently, 92028 is dumped at Coquelles in need of repair. They currently have 3 diagrams with Ipswich-Trafford Park 'liners, the Carlisle-Mossend departmental, and the bottled water to Daventry, but they're also taking over the Dagenham-Garston flow from DBS, so they'll need a fourth 92 for that too. Better get fixing 92028...

They seem to have two or three Europorte ones stabled in the 'Riviere Neuve' yard at Frethun most days, as well as the various 'stored' examples at Coquelles shops. I shall have another look at the RS planning page to see what the current state is.

They seem to have two or three Europorte ones stabled in the 'Riviere Neuve' yard at Frethun most days, as well as the various 'stored' examples at Coquelles shops. I shall have another look at the RS planning page to see what the current state is.

Doesn't surprise me, the Felixstowe-Manchester's have been 66's the past couple of weeks, thus only two of the 92's will have been in traffic. What condition are the 10 long-term stored 92's in? The five moved from Crewe to Dollands Moor fairly recently don't look that bad, with the ones at Loughborough looking a lot worse for wear, but of course this means nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

Doesn't surprise me, the Felixstowe-Manchester's have been 66's the past couple of weeks, thus only two of the 92's will have been in traffic. What condition are the 10 long-term stored 92's in? The five moved from Crewe to Dollands Moor fairly recently don't look that bad, with the ones at Loughborough looking a lot worse for wear, but of course this means nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

None are in as bad a state as 45015 so that will be a good start.

Not all are intended for use, I think Rail referred to another 5 being made available so that would leave several to scavenge parts from or hold onto in storage.

None are in as bad a state as 45015 so that will be a good start.

Not all are intended for use, I think Rail referred to another 5 being made available so that would leave several to scavenge parts from or hold onto in storage.

From what I've heard, whilst the exteriors may be presentable, the interiors look as though Milo Mindmender Enterprises (see Catch 22) have been through them. I know Catch 22 is fiction, but it bears an uncanny resemblance to reality at times, somewhat more than many press releases.

Archived