Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby to Produce Super Detail Original Merchant Navy?

robmcg

Colour photos from the early 1950s are thin on the ground. Monochrome photos are not conclusive seeing as non-panchromatic film was still used by amateurs in the early 1950s and red showed up as black. 

I'm with Glenn on this one.

At the time Larry was probably first looking for guidance, most of the available colour pictures were from the 60's when red plates were by far the most common.

Much greater numbers of colour pictures from the 50's are now available and they do support my memory that most plates, even BB's, went into black from '52 before dividing into red for MN/WC and light blue for most BBs a few years later, with some BBs then going on from blue to red.

The reason I remember so clearly is because I know the crests so well, as they were highlighted by black nameplates in the period when I was an active spotter. When the nameplates changed to red, the crests were overpowered and many Bulleid fans who started in the 60's or after the end of steam hardly notice them and find difficulty telling them apart. This is particularly true in railway journalism where gross errors of identification from photographs are common where the running numbers are unclear, but a quick glance at the crest would have immediately identified the subject correctly.

... anyway, getting back to the point of this thread.

I think I've already posted similar somewhere else, but I would prefer Bachmann to produce an original MN, after all they're doing the research for the N gauge version why not just scale it up?

A Merchant Navy in all its 'Southern' glory would be a fantastic addition to my stock and if Barwell revamp the Bulleid coaches with shallow vents, I can run the A.C.E. in its post-war state at last.

Hornby have had the chassis (and tenders) for over ten years and done nothing. Their design clever is taking RTR standards backwards - with the return of moulded handrails, 3-pole instead of 5-pole motors, etc.

Glenn

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

To model 34002 Salisbury and 34019 Bideford as they were in March 1967, while Nine Elms loco's, I'm in need of 2 donor loco's.

I know R2218, 34041 Wilton, is suitable.

How about R2436, 34043 Coombe Martin?

If you have a suitable donor in mint condition available for sale or know of one for sale somewhere, please let me know.

Regards,

Michel,

Lelystad, Netherlands

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

To model 34002 Salisbury and 34019 Bideford as they were in March 1967, while Nine Elms loco's, I'm in need of 2 donor loco's.

I know R2218, 34041 Wilton, is suitable.

How about R2436, 34043 Coombe Martin?

If you have a suitable donor in mint condition available for sale or know of one for sale somewhere, please let me know.

Regards,

Michel,

Lelystad, Netherlands

Depends on how accurate you want the models to be. R2436 Combe Martin has the correct 4500g tender but does not have AWS apparatus on the front bufferbeam. R2218 Wilton does, but as one of the first releases the smoke deflectors are missing a couple of the headlights.

• RMweb Gold

Both Salisbury & Bideford would need both AWS and speedo to be correctly modelled in 1967. 

So Wilton is the best donor to use to model the Air Smoothed West Countries late in their careers, however the numbering can be difficult to remove without taking the paint off and as Brushman rightly says, they are missing the marker lights on the inside edge deflectors.

• 2 weeks later...

Photos of the first 3D print of the Merchant Navy (to bring this thread back on topic) is on this weeks Hornby Engine Shed Blog: http://www.Hornby.co...ass-71-collett/

As I was privy to, and able to provide feedback on the CADS some time ago its good to see further progress.

Hi Graham, this link just connects to the RMWeb / BRM home page for me, instead of the HESBlog. 

• RMweb Premium

I have begun to wonder how many versions of the MN we will see in its first year. This weeks Engine Shed blog had the following statement in relation to one of the stereo samples

"Whilst the sample below doesn’t show a great deal of detail, rest assured the finished locos, like the 21C1 EX Works condition from 1941 shown here"

Maybe we will see batch 2 or 3 locos as well.

• RMweb Gold

Looks very promising indeed, looking forward to the Pre-Christmas announcements to see what Hornby have lined up for us in 2016/17. Personally speaking, a 1950s BR early or late crest in brunswick green would be very nice.......

IIRC only 35028 received the second BR emblem before being rebuilt. It was the last to be "done".

Several others retained the early one for a year or two after rebuilding.  

John

• RMweb Gold

The intention as I understand it is that Hornby will over a period of time is to produce a number of variations across all three series of engines.

Hopefully, they might also get round to a Rebuilt First Series loco eventually. (Aberdeen Commonwealth, please)

John

The intention as I understand it is that Hornby will over a period of time is to produce a number of variations across all three series of engines.

I have mixed feelings over this, a while ago I'd have gone crazy over the release of an original MN, but now one is finally on its way (17 years since the rebuilt version was released!), I can't get excited about it.

I think it's because Hornby's releases have been delayed and then; when they do appear, many are not up to scratch.

... all I wanted was an original cab on a West Country.

Glenn

• RMweb Premium

I have mixed feelings over this, a while ago I'd have gone crazy over the release of an original MN, but now one is finally on its way (17 years since the rebuilt version was released!), I can't get excited about it.

I think it's because Hornby's releases have been delayed and then; when they do appear, many are not up to scratch.

... all I wanted was an original cab on a West Country.

Glenn

That has to be one of the most pessimistic posts I have yet read on RMWeb.

Archived