• RMweb Gold

Cheers Brian

I can see a nice rake of maroon and blue and grey MK1's behind it, but I've got to do a mixed goods with a brake tender at some point! Think I best start doing something on Garston Bridge hadn't I :D

Thanks again mate

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Steve

I'm really made up with how it looks in the daylight, sometimes it's hard to get a good picture under normal lighting. Can't wait to get the sound chip in it and get a video done.

Thanks again Steve for the kind words

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Well D270 is finished!! I did the finishing touches tonight and fitted a Biffo sound chip, so tomorrow night I'll do a video. A few photos of the finished 40 below, sorry there's quite a few!

Cheers, Paul

post-18716-0-18420100-1401226110_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-11263300-1401226122_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-77871300-1401226132_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-81616200-1401226143_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-04244000-1401226156_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-10205900-1401226170_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-04827100-1401226185_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-68582000-1401226196_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-38140100-1401226208_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bob

Gona have to concentrate on the layout for a week or two now, but I might slip a 'How I've weathered my signal box' into this thread. Next up will be a scrapped 08 for my layout and a scrap line peak, think the peak will be used to raise layout funds!!

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice vids Paul - Great sound on Biffs chips, I have a Deltic O Gauge one, Superb :yes:

Cheers, Bob.

Thanks again Bob

I've seen Biffs video of an O gauge deltic an it's really impressive, an although I'm not a huge deltic fan I'll have to get one because they sound great! :) I bet their a lot easier to go into O gouge, I knew I should of gone bigger!! :D

Cheers, Paul

Edited by PjKing1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all, sorry for the lack of updates, but been busy sorting stuff for the wedding out and the first stag do! I have made a start on a Bachman class 85 but I'm waiting on a new airbrush to arrive before I carry on, as my old one is getting a bit temprimentle. Hopefully I'll have a couple of pics up in the next week or two.

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

Looking forward to you doing the electric mate and what type of airbrush you getting , one day I'll have to get myself one

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to you doing the electric mate and what type of airbrush you getting , one day I'll have to get myself one

Thanks Brian, it's just a cheap an cheerful dual action airbrush, apart from when I'm weathering track I only really use an airbrush to apply the varnish when sealing, but for the 85 and coaches when I get around to doing them I want to use the airbrush to apply frame dirt, think it gives a better look than powders for this, although I'll have to experiment ;)

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Very nice,

Can I ask what colour was used on the roof ?

Thanks

Hi Rob

For the roof of the 40 and all the others I've used 'Exhaust black' powder and a small amount of grey powder. I've applied the grey first then the black and it just kind of mixes together, I apply more black around the exhaust etc. Thanks for the comments and hope that helps.

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Evening all

Well tonight I've managed to have a go at weathering the class 85 using an airbrush, the only powders I've used are on the bogie sides. It needs a lot more work doing to it and as you can tell off the pics the buffer beams and under frame are still to be done.

As this is my first real attempt at weathering using an airbrush rather than powders please be honest in your comments. Must admit I've enjoyed weathering using the airbrush but I like diesels and powders, there just seems more control over the weathering.

Hope you like it! Cheers, Paul

post-18716-0-02245100-1403814757_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-52739500-1403814774_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-82785800-1403814787_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-79376100-1403814810_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-41341200-1403814822_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-72889300-1403814836_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

Got to say I have no idea of how electrics weather lol but I hope your having fun and getting to know the new techniques . I think I'll have to get an air brush at sometime soon for when I start my wagon building adventure lol so I'll be watching this with interest .

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Got to say I have no idea of how electrics weather lol but I hope your having fun and getting to know the new techniques . I think I'll have to get an air brush at sometime soon for when I start my wagon building adventure lol so I'll be watching this with interest .

Brian

Thanks Brian

To be honest neither do I! ;) but going off very old memories and pics they just seem to get muddy. Now that's probably blown any kind of rail cred I had out the water. Maybe I should stick to diesels :)

Paul

Hi Paul - I prefer the brush weathering technique, I also think that you have more control and in most cases looks more realistic, but airbrush weathering also looks good when done right - I think that high speed loco's weather differently in full size, and your 85 looks quite good.

Cheers, Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bob, I agree with you I much prefer using powders as to me it gives a more genuin dirty look, but if you can master an airbrush it can look just as good. I'm quite happy with this so far but I recon I'm gona go over it with some powders as I don't want it looking like a bog standard airbrushed 85 and I'd like to keep with how I've done the rest of my locos.

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

Is this your first attempt using your airbrush on the 85? Did you have any practice prior to this or did you jump in at the deep end? It looks good to me.. when I first saw it, it took me back to the 80's! So much so I dug out my old photos for a comparison of your model.

I have happy memories travelling up n down the WCML behind these fine machines. School holidays permitting and limited finances my friends and I would buy our 7day Rail Rover ticket and hardly see our parents until the next week!

One thing I did notice was on the body sides you have sprayed a dusty brown quite high.. this is what prompted me to dig out my old snaps! As I recalled the hot summer of 84 I was certain I had photos of 85's covered in this dry brown dust looking just like yours. Alas I could not find it, memory starting to play tricks I guess!! I did find a photo of a class 81 which shows the dusty side I was referring too (see below)

A picture tells a thousand words as they say.. so here are a few more of mine.

As you say, diesels are much more oily than electrics.. but as you can see they do get mucky! The roof collects dirt from the overhead cables, especially after it has been raining. The 85's have a small ledge/ rebate on the body side below the windows/ vents. This ledge would collect muck, rainwater would puddle and start to run down the body creating dirty steaks. These locos would have been used on passenger work which may have helped keep them cleaner as they pass through the carriage wash plant.

I think you have made a good start on your model..as you have found airbrush alone sometimes is not enough. I find using a combination of different weathering techniques in layers like Bob states enhances locos. Powder, dry brush, washes all bring the loco to life.

Steve

post-727-0-82129600-1404076789.jpg

post-727-0-98394500-1404076815.jpg

post-727-0-92379900-1404076838.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Steve and great photos!! Think you should stick all your collection on although it would prob take you about 6 months I remember the size of your photo album when I was a kid!! :)

It was my first attempt on something expensive I've played around on the odd carriage and this was the first time with this airbrush. Like you said it's a different kind of dirt with electrics than diesels, my only worry was I couldn't do it justice with powders but the airbrush produced the effect quite well, that sprayed up affect that they seem to have with the dirt. I think I'll use a combination of both on the bogies and buffers for the final touches as I've got more control over it then, but think I'm happy with the body up to now. Thanks for the compliments and sharing your great photos mate,

Thanks again, Paul