Dapol silver bullets

(The) Youth

• RMweb Gold

[Paranoia] I'm sure I'm being watched, I start scratchbuilding two more silver bullets at Scaleforum in September last year and within weeks the model was announced.

wacko.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_frustrated.gif ...You're not alone......first a Hurst conversion for the Cl153 halfway done..then Hornby announce one...then paid arm and a leg for a Kemilway BR 2-6-2T, and then Bachmann..............rolleyes.gif

No,

Further to my previous negative reply... when I said no, obviously I actually meant yes, but I don't remember doing so... :icon_redface: turns out i built the master soon after measuring one, but didn't bother casting any as you can't get the bogies.... :icon_frustrated:

post-336-12569315780774_thumb.jpg

Jon

Dapol might be in a mess with the proposed numbering for the silver bullets.

According to their catalogue and Hattons pre-orders page, the numbering for individual wagons seems to be one from the ANF Industrie batch and three from the Arbel Fauvet batch. Isn't it the latter wagon they are modelling, so the first one is wrong?

Also, they are all shown with country code 70 (BR) but all the information and pictures I have seen show them as being registered to SNCF (code 87), unless they've been re-registered since 2006, which is the latest info I have.

Can anybody in the know confirm my concerns or correct me?

Many thanks,

Chris

Dapol might be in a mess with the proposed numbering for the silver bullets.

According to their catalogue and Hattons pre-orders page, the numbering for individual wagons seems to be one from the ANF Industrie batch and three from the Arbel Fauvet batch. Isn't it the latter wagon they are modelling, so the first one is wrong?

Also, they are all shown with country code 70 (BR) but all the information and pictures I have seen show them as being registered to SNCF (code 87), unless they've been re-registered since 2006, which is the latest info I have.

Can anybody in the know confirm my concerns or correct me?

Many thanks,

Chris

A quick glance at David Ratcliffe's new book throws up 33 70 7890 124-2 at Coalville open day in June 1989 (in pristine condition) and 33 70 7890 120-0 at Crewe in February 2000. These were the ones to BR Dia E708 for Tiger Rail in 1989 by ANF. These were the wagons branded for Caledonian Paper

At the same time, Arbel-Fauvet built 120 vehicles to E719, numbered 33 87 7898 000-119

These were divided as follows:-

000-039 to Locatransport

040-079 & 100-119 to NACCO

080-099 to Oeva.

The NACCO ones worked internal flows in the UK for ECC, whilst the others worked mainly on traffic from Vise, near Liege, in the Belgian Ardennes.

Brian

Whilst I'm waiting for my Dapol silver bullets to arrive. I thought I'd share this photo I took on Workington docks of how they are unloaded into road tankers. Just shows you don't actually need a paper mill to model clay slurry traffic. I will be using a re liveried Guiness Bedford TK.

Very simple and easy to model.

post-7043-12576129091004_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They do look very nice, why though have plastic ladders and such made Dapol Dave, ust to have them replaced? Nice touch just seems a shame to go to trouble of making them to see them replaced.

Maybe thats why I dont design and make RTR!mellow.gif sad.gif

Ian

I assumed they were the etched or cast pieces actually, if they were plastic they would have been black. The end platform barrier looks to be cast with the top platform as an etch. A nice bit of design work if its all to scale, much better than plastic anyway!

I assumed they were the etched or cast pieces actually, if they were plastic they would have been black. The end platform barrier looks to be cast with the top platform as an etch. A nice bit of design work if its all to scale, much better than plastic anyway!

I think Ian was meaning why make them on the first sample products (pictures in post #15 on this tread, where the ladders and end frames etc were in plastic), then replaced on the latest ones with metal? I prefer the metal ones too, but I wonder if Dapol were hoping the plastic ones would do else why make them?

• Like 1

Ta very much bigbloke, Aye I was reffering to the images contained within this post, which are very clearly plastic, hence the question posed to Dapol Dave of this parish! huh.gif

Ian

I think Ian was meaning why make them on the first sample products (pictures in post #15 on this tread, where the ladders and end frames etc were in plastic), then replaced on the latest ones with metal? I prefer the metal ones too, but I wonder if Dapol were hoping the plastic ones would do else why make them?

Hi,

This is an easy one to reply to.

As noted the original pictures show plastic. This is because when the cad/cam program is transferred to the tooling machine it includes everything (including couplers) and these are all made in plastic.

So, when it comes to the first shot (used to check fit and look etc, we have plastic ladders and walkways etc. (this is always the case, and nothign to worry about)

Last Friday i published on our website a revised first shot picture with the metalwork added for effect.

Hope this helps?

cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just in from the 'Chromers' the first 2 samples of Silver Bullet for you all to mull over for a bit.rolleyes.gif

I think they are too Chrome (if that's possible), but please let me know what you all think via this forum, and we'll go with the concensus.

They are on our home page. www.Dapol.co.uk

Cheers

Dave

The Chrome Looks good to me Dave - I'd be happy with the finish as shown -

For the period im modelling , the wagons would be brand new - so I'd like em nice and shinycool.gif

tfn

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments and please keep them coming.biggrin.gif

We send out the 'barrels' (they are a 1 piece moulding with separate glue in ends) out to a company on the North Wales coast that chromes metal and plastic.

It isn't cheap, but in all honesty we knew that when we started the project, hence the RRP being higher than normal for a bogie wagon, but we hope everyone thinks its worth it.

Cheers

Dave

Now am I getting these confused with something else or didn't these also spend some time in ECC Blue livery? If so, any intention of producing these at any time in the future Dave ?

In the meantime, I will be snapping some up as soon as they're available and will be weathering them immediately as the reflection of my face is bad enough without it being distorted by those curves!