North American paint equivalents for British paints

jsp3970

Am posting this here in the hopes that someone can help.

After recently returning to modeling British paints I have learnt that getting paints sent over here from Britain is not possible, seems no one is willing to ship them over here. I recently asked Canada Post and they won't ship them either so even getting paints from an importer wont work.

So the question is does anyone know of any equivalent for British paint that is readily available here in Canada?

The paints in question are rail blue, rail grey, rail yellow (or whatever it is called for the loco ends) and green used on diesels.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

It this topic has been covered elsewhere I do apologize and I am posting it in this section because I figure that it is more likely to get noticed by someone who lives in North America if I post here.

Since I use BR warning yellow for UP Armor yellow, it stands to reason that you could reverse that theory...

But I'm surprised you can't import Railmatch Acrylic colours, they aren't volatile and are supplied in sealed containers so the spill risk is minimal.

If you are ok using Lifecolour acrylics I know from reading Finescale Modeller Magazine that they are available in the USA. They do a British Railways set of colours and a railway weathering set. They give good results when airbrushed.

My other recommendation would be to look at Vallejo Aircolour and look to mix / match their colours to get the desired result.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/download/c7d79e56e5c88e66e821d489925a0fde/Carta_ModelAir_rev02.pdf

That is what I do to get US colours I can no longer get in the Polyscale range. Get a colour wheel, some basic colours and have a go.

Cheers

ChrisM

• Like 1

I have modelled UK railways in the States for 25+ years and converted to acrylics years ago. There have been several US RR acrylic colour ranges over the years but about the only one left now is Badger - these are generally pretty good. The only colour I could never match well was GWR green but I've heard that Games Workshop acrylics have something suitable. I did hand carry some Humbrol acrylics back to the US but was very disappointed with the performance.

I just do not understand why Testors has discontinued the RR Polyscale range.....

Games Workshop do some fairly decent acrylics. Anything they do does tend to get "mimicked" by Vallejo in their "Game Colour" range - I switched from GW to VGC a while ago, and I use them all for my model railways/railroads now.

What colours are you trying to match, I'll see what I can find?

Jeff:

Micro-Mark is now offering Vallejo paints custom matched to the old Floquil/Polly Scale standby colors -

jsp:

I have no idea what you're chances are with matching British colors, but certainly somewhere in the vast Vallejo line there are colors that are close?

Thanks Marty, I use Micro-Mark now and again - they are more reliable than most model train suppliers in terms of having things in-stock.  Right now I have taken a break from British outline to build a US On30 layout but have amassed quite a stock of red acrylics for my LT/Metropolitan efforts.  I quite like the Badger Modelflex range - Milwaukee Maroon makes an excellent 1930s Metropolitan maroon (lighter than the later LT maroon)...... however I have to mail order as you don't see it in the shops much.

Am posting this here in the hopes that someone can help.

So the question is does anyone know of any equivalent for British paint that is readily available here in Canada?

The paints in question are rail blue, rail grey, rail yellow (or whatever it is called for the loco ends) and green used on diesels.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I used to have the same issue. BR blue is almost impossible to find using standard colour ranges. At one time Floquil had a BR set which included rail blue, grey, and yellow. As others have mentioned UP armor yellow is a close match.

What I used to do was go to an automotive paint supplier in NE Calgary. They would colour match anything you brought in and supply the paint in spray cans. Not cheap but one can of rail blue lasted me around 8 years and 30+ diesels. The cans have a much better spray nozzle than the standard can and are designed for doing automotive touch up work. Dunno if they are still around but you could do some checking locally to see if any suppliers will still computer colour match. The downside is they only did gloss so you'd have to finish off the model with dullcote.

I used to have the same issue. BR blue is almost impossible to find using standard colour ranges. At one time Floquil had a BR set which included rail blue, grey, and yellow. As others have mentioned UP armor yellow is a close match.

What I used to do was go to an automotive paint supplier in NE Calgary. They would colour match anything you brought in and supply the paint in spray cans. Not cheap but one can of rail blue lasted me around 8 years and 30+ diesels. The cans have a much better spray nozzle than the standard can and are designed for doing automotive touch up work. Dunno if they are still around but you could do some checking locally to see if any suppliers will still computer colour match. The downside is they only did gloss so you'd have to finish off the model with dullcote.

Thanks, do you know where in the NE that was?

Games Workshop do some fairly decent acrylics. Anything they do does tend to get "mimicked" by Vallejo in their "Game Colour" range - I switched from GW to VGC a while ago, and I use them all for my model railways/railroads now.

What colours are you trying to match, I'll see what I can find?

Rail blue, rail yellow, rail grey, and brunswick green.

Thanks Andrew, I know exactly where that is as I work for Calgary Transit and have driven by that place on the route 33.

A little bit of a drive for me as I live in Bowness, but I will certainly go check them out.

Thanks Andrew, I know exactly where that is as I work for Calgary Transit and have driven by that place on the route 33.

A little bit of a drive for me as I live in Bowness, but I will certainly go check them out.

Bowness to Marlborough isn't that bad. I used to live in McKenzie and commute downtown daily. Back then Trains & Such were in the NW on 4th st. That was a long drive.

On another note, have you crossed paths with any of the British modelling group(s) yet? There is one quasi-formal group called the Calgary British Railway Modellers, and a couple of my old friends that just model on their own but exhibit @ Supertrain and Heritage Park.  I'd also recommend spending $10 and joining the Calgary Model Railway Society. http://www.calgarymodelrailway.ca/

Bowness to Marlborough isn't that bad. I used to live in McKenzie and commute downtown daily. Back then Trains & Such were in the NW on 4th st. That was a long drive.

On another note, have you crossed paths with any of the British modelling group(s) yet? There is one quasi-formal group called the Calgary British Railway Modellers, and a couple of my old friends that just model on their own but exhibit @ Supertrain and Heritage Park.  I'd also recommend spending $10 and joining the Calgary Model Railway Society. http://www.calgarymodelrailway.ca/

I remember when Trains and Such were there, then they moved down near Chinook and Chinook & Hobbies West opened a store in the old location on 4th Street, which is now closed itself. I liked that location as I normally work out of Spring Gardens garage and would detour on the way back home. The nearest store is now PM hobbycraft at 32nd Ave and 19th Street NE which is the wrong way for me. I also doubt the powers that be would like it if I pulled the bus over and went shopping!

I was going to talk to the Calgary British Railway Modellers at the next Supertrain, which is April 12 and 13, and see if they know anything about obtaining paints.

Incidentally I was told that there was a model railway society on 12th Ave SE, near the Victoria Park garage and stampede grounds. Do you know anything about that?

I was going to talk to the Calgary British Railway Modellers at the next Supertrain, which is April 12 and 13, and see if they know anything about obtaining paints.

Incidentally I was told that there was a model railway society on 12th Ave SE, near the Victoria Park garage and stampede grounds. Do you know anything about that?

The club near the Victoria garage is the Calgary Model Trainmen. HO scale. They've been there for years. Long narrow red building. They are also part of the Calgary Model Railway Society.

• 1 month later...

So while at the Calgary Supertrain show found out that PM Hobbycraft sell Humbrol paints. Went down today and found Brunswick Green. However Diesel Blue and BR Yellow weren't there but as they carry the range I have checked to see if I can special order them.

• Like 1

Had a look around online, after testing various types, user Platform 1 of this very parish came up with the following Vallejo paint matches:

• Rail blue - 70.963 Medium Blue
  • Rail grey - 70.883 Silver Grey

After a search around on Colourpedia, I came up with:

• Brunswick green - 70.970 Deep Green

Not sure on the Yellow though. But still, this gives you something to go on, no? :)

Edited by DanielB

• 2 months later...

I have recently started to stock Humbrol Acrylic Rail Colours (14ml potlets) and have the most frequently asked for colours available.

http://www.modelrail...p?q=humbrol&s=5

If sales of these go well I will add the rest of the range.

Steve

Model Railway Imports

Canada

Steve,

It looks like you have a more comprehensive range than many shops back here! :O

• 2 weeks later...

Received some paints from Model Railway Imports, well packed and very happy to finally have a source of UK paints here in Canada. Will soon be buying more. Of course now I need to learn out to use an air spray!

• 6 months later...

was surprised to notice that Amazon US, and to a lesser extent Amazon Canada, are selling Humbrol acrylics including some British railway colours. Also weathering powders. For some reason the enamel paints do not seem to include railway colours though....

I think one of the hardest colours to match is LMS Crimson Lake.  I've found that Badger DM&IR Maroon (16-87) is very close.  These are excellent acrylic paints designed for airbrush but work with regular brush as well.  I recently got some at Udisco here in Montreal.

https://udisco.com/hobbies/inv/badger.aspx

They still have a good stock of Polly S paint as well.  I believe they do mail order.

John

Edited by brossard