Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

• RMweb Gold

I think the 56's were later although they were new in 1977, I don't think they ventured down that far south west until the eatly 80's. Referencing an earlier post, while I am not a massive fan of class 33's, I am even less of a fan of class 56's so they are way down the to do list.

Rob - first class 56s arrived on WR (Cardiff) in July 1979, remember it well. Also by the way a 2H apparently made it to Temple meads once. I also rode on a 3H as a shuttle service from Stapleton road to Parkway when the South Wales line was shut in 1975.

Neil

Rob - first class 56s arrived on WR (Cardiff) in July 1979, remember it well. Also by the way a 2H apparently made it to Temple meads once. I also rode on a 3H as a shuttle service from Stapleton road to Parkway when the South Wales line was shut in 1975.

Neil

Thanks for the class 56 clarification Neil, still earlier than I thought, and only 18 months after they first landed on our shores. 

The modelling fund is solvent at the moment from the sale of the Lima DMU fleet which couldn't run on Peafore Yard so maybe a 2H is in order. Just need Dapol to hurry up with the 121 and 118 then announce a 119/120!

• Like 1

The final test tonight before the show on Saturday, and I can now say I feel ready for the show. A minor repair was required on a dry solder joint on one of the points was required so glad to have found it now not Saturday morning. I look forward to catching up with a few RMWebbers over the weekend, do say hi, I don't bite!

Here are a few piccies, first off 37240 on the cement train:

post-7400-0-38047600-1428613625_thumb.jpg

Also the midnight oil has been burnt and 25191 has been passed fit to run for the show:

post-7400-0-80083400-1428613663_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-34252600-1428613678_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-31467800-1428613691_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Cant wait to see Peafore Yard tomorrow at the Cheltenham exhibition after enjoying the brilliant updates and progress in this topic!

Me too, but it will be Sunday for me. My mate, and driver, has insisted on doing both Cheltenham and Trainwest, so a long day for us ( and probably expensive too).

Good to meet you today Rob. Our trip over from Wales was good and well timed with a 11.40 departure from Cheltenham for the second leg to Melksham. So just the 30 layouts seen today! I have to say that Peafore Yard looks better 'in the flesh' than on this site. Great job, and I look forward to seeing you next year when the upper level will be shunting too, thanks for the tip on the Wills corrugated clear glass.

Tony

Good to meet you today Rob. Our trip over from Wales was good and well timed with a 11.40 departure from Cheltenham for the second leg to Melksham. So just the 30 layouts seen today! I have to say that Peafore Yard looks better 'in the flesh' than on this site. Great job, and I look forward to seeing you next year when the upper level will be shunting too, thanks for the tip on the Wills corrugated clear glass.

Tony

Thanks Tony, it was really good to meet you along with all the other RM Webber's who came to the show, it is always nice to put aface to a name. It was definitely an enjoyable experience being at the front of the layout and having a proper chat with people rather than ducking around lighting gantries etc. At times it felt just like having the layout set up in the living room and chatting with a group of mates while playing trains. Just need an armchair, carpet and a standard lamp! Hopefully those who had a drive enjoyed it too.

Overall I was really pleased how the layout performed, a small intermittent wiring problem manifested itself 10 minutes before then end so I will need to find and fix that before Thursday.

• Like 4

So with a good nights sleep and some rest I can now reflect on the first show with Peafore Yard. I really enjoyed operating the layout and thankfully I didn't get bored at any moment, despite only having the lower level in play. As always I took a note pad with me and noted down suggestions to improve the layout, some interesting ideas including:

- Making the scrap yard crane work (quite a tricky project but one I would like to pursue in the future)

- 03121 had a bell fitted, I also noted looking at some photos it had a car number plated wedged on its bufferbeam at the cab end for a period while allocated to BR.

- Through wire the match trucks with extra pick ups for the 03's

As alluded to in last nights post, although the layout ran well over the weekend and my fears of self destructing points did not come true, I did have a rather bizarre intermittent electrical fault crop up on the point into the scrapyard about 10 minutes before the  end of the show. As the layout is out again at the Gas Cupboard in Trowbridge on Thursday night then I was keen to get to the bottom of it tonight. I find intermittent faults somewhat infuriating and this one was no exception as there appeared to be some sort of short which would affect a different part of the point each time a loco ran through. Testing with a multimeter indicated all normal and a quick check for debris between the vee and the switch blades revealed nothing. After 15 minutes of head scratching and testing the locos again the fault has mysteriously disappeared and I am none the wiser, definitely a case of "fault not found" rather than "no fault found".

I took some photos while testing;

post-7400-0-84545800-1428955493_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-33328500-1428955503_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-99558800-1428955516_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-43860900-1428955565_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-89129800-1428955574_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-95730300-1428955584_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-60360700-1428955588_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

That headcode looks a bit odd. The figure "1" on headcode blinds did not have a serif.

Geoff Endacott

Good spot Geoff, I will change it next time I have the transfers out, I will double check which make of transfers they were as well.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

Good to hear the show went well - looking forward to seeing it at barnstaple in July.

Can I ask where you get your point levers from (in the last picture above)?

I'd like a couple for Bratton Lane, and they look nice.

regards,

James

Hi Rob,

Good to hear the show went well - looking forward to seeing it at barnstaple in July.

Can I ask where you get your point levers from (in the last picture above)?

I'd like a couple for Bratton Lane, and they look nice.

regards,

James

Thanks James, really looking forward to Barnstaple,Richard and the team have an excellent line up planned. Re the point levers I think they are Dornaplas ones, I scratch built the bases. Other ones that are worth a look is Knight wing as well.

Hi Rob,

Pleased to hear the show went well, hope you find that fault before the next outing. Nice pics by the way.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, hoping that whatever fault it was has either been fixed by my exploits last night or manifests itself in a more permanent way so I can get to the bottom of it.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I was at Melksham on Saturday, so I was unable to get to Cheltenham  to see Peafore. I hope I'll be able to catch it some other time.

No probs Andy, would be good to meet up, Geoff has invited it to Train west next year at the new venue.

Hello Rob,

Nice to have a chat before the start of the show on Sunday morning. As I said, I do like compact layouts for which yours is a great example.

I must get round to starting a thread for my compact layout on here.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, I noticed a few people scribbling down the track plan, it is certainly fun to play with. Great to see Aberclydach, I thought it was a lovely layout,the L shape certainly works well.