Tighte End Yard (DRS): Exhibition Debut Complete.

Jack374

Always handy to sell on some surplus stock Jack :senile:

bring in new funds for new stock... :locomotive:

Cheers Neil, I haven't sold anything yet! (Gentle hint!) :no:

A very nice build Jack.

Is there a reason, you think you must do thing s "Fast"

Thanks David, I just try and get projects finished fairly quickly so I can get playing with them! Once I've started a task I normally finish it fairly quickly, but small stalls usually stop progress dead until I can rectify them.

For example, I've just painted the walkway(s) in "concrete" colour....trouble is....it doesn't look very concrete at all! So now I've got to wait until I get a trip to the model shop; that put an end to that task!

Updates soon!

Jack.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I had a little play on the layout earlier, obviously not fully as I still haven't attached the fiddleyard. Summer's coming though! :yes:

All DRS stock with a Northern Belle interloper thrown in too. Locos are 47790, 47501, 37259, 20308 and 57007. All have been modified or detailed to some extent, and the 37 has just come off the workbench (details of it's mods can be found here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81813-jacks-workbench-modern-image-projects/?p=1936146):

Firstly all the locos on shed:

post-21664-0-28259400-1435329439_thumb.jpg

Then 57007 came out of the shed:

post-21664-0-61726700-1435329448_thumb.jpg

And the 20 ran round to collect the broken 'duff':

post-21664-0-16971600-1435329463_thumb.jpg

And put it in the shed:

post-21664-0-56714000-1435329470_thumb.jpg

Then the 57 returned and coupled up to 37259:

post-21664-0-35795500-1435329478_thumb.jpg

Then they both departed on a light engine move:

post-21664-0-88177100-1435329486_thumb.jpg

And just for fun! :senile:

post-21664-0-05486000-1435329495_thumb.jpg

Hope you like,

Jack.

• Like 9

Great looking layout.  Really like the last set of pics, especially the convoy at the end.  Did you actually run them all coupled up together?  I wasn't sure how well running multiple locos together would work as I plan to do a lot of shunting around on my layout and was thinking of having a few unpowered locos to make things simpler. I am assuming you are DCC.

Great looking layout.  Really like the last set of pics, especially the convoy at the end.  Did you actually run them all coupled up together?  I wasn't sure how well running multiple locos together would work as I plan to do a lot of shunting around on my layout and was thinking of having a few unpowered locos to make things simpler. I am assuming you are DCC.

Thanks very much Midnight-Freight, the convoy unfortunately was just a line of my DRS stock that I was running, not even coupled up properly, with the 57s lights on. I believe you can tweak the CVs on DCC to change the speeds but TBH I would just take all the worm gears out of the bogie towers if I wanted to run such a convoy! The Class 20 in the pics is unpowered, that doesn't even have a motor in it as I nicked it for another project, so yes unpowered locos are a solution, and IMHO much easier to do! :D

HTH,

Jack.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Always handy to sell on some surplus stock Jack :senile:

bring in new funds for new stock... :locomotive:

Well, all the stuff (and more I found overnight) has sold at our club (Leyland MRC) exhibition, I am now many pennies in pocket! :O

On the layout, ballasting is almost complete. Even though I've been on holiday the past two weeks the exhibition has inspired me to finish it for good as I've decided to exhibit it year (condition/date etc. permitting).

Piccies soon! :D

Jack.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, a very delayed update! :)

So first a picture of the painted walkway, although I think it's a bit too light, at least it's not green!

post-21664-0-93944700-1439994031_thumb.jpg

And another progress picture of the ballasting...slowly but surely!

post-21664-0-85452800-1439994116_thumb.jpg

Recently I've been playing using the new cassettes, which are bits of softwood battening with track glued to it. When changing them I'll use crocodile clips as illustrated to connect the next one...

post-21664-0-49727700-1439994127_thumb.jpg

Today I've been very productive and done two major things...clad the bridge and made a very low relief warehouse.

The bridge was fairly simple but took a while. First I hot glued a girder on the the underside of the front and then clad the rest in brick paper using double sided tape, wrapping it around the corners to achieve a stone like look instead of an angular joint.

post-21664-0-55815700-1439994295_thumb.jpg

The warehouse is a piece of mounting card with corrugated plasticard taped on top. I've also neatened it up with thin edging and added drainpipes, again from plastic extrusion.

post-21664-0-39220500-1439994318_thumb.jpg

Finally, an overall view of the layout today, with some different stock to add variety:

post-21664-0-96444800-1439994310_thumb.jpg

Happy modelling! ;)

Jack.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Today I've added the final buffer stop and repaired one of the others, here's a pic with many FNAs currently occupying the site:

post-21664-0-03272300-1440773236_thumb.jpg

Also added a backscene from a photo I took the other day, it and the the warehouse are removable as mentioned, but the bit over the bridge is fixed on with contact adhesive:

post-21664-0-82059300-1440773242_thumb.jpg

post-21664-0-58106300-1440773249_thumb.jpg

In it are Rivington and Harrock/Hunters Hill, which adds interest, and the distinctive shape of Rivington sets it firmly in Lancashire!

Happy Modelling! :)

Jack.

• Like 5

Hey Jack, that's looking really good mate, I like the Flask's and Loco Line up. Brilliant.

Thanks very much Andy, the flasks are there to remind me to weather the things, which I eventually will once the weather is more suitable for airbrushing.

And when some more locos are freed from the workbench I'll do a mega, MEGA line up and pupulate the depot as it might be on an open day. :senile:

Jack.

• Like 1

Nice work !

I presume that's rail match concrete colour ? I've used it a lot and it's not very concrete to my eyes either - more desert storm !

Have you considered scalescenes papers ? I'm using concrete for my new bridge

Thanks very much Rob and George, I've got loads of DRS projects on the workbench as I've said, so the fleet will grow considerably soon! :locomotive:

Nice work !

I presume that's rail match concrete colour ? I've used it a lot and it's not very concrete to my eyes either - more desert storm !

Have you considered scalescenes papers ? I'm using concrete for my new bridge

The original colour I used for the hardstanding was indeed RM 'concrete', although my pot turned out to have a nasty green hue, so I looked about and found a couple of light Humbrol greys, and I've just bought a pot of RM 'diesel roof grey', all of which I'll try.

For brick paper for the bridge and retaining wall I have used/will be using Metcalf stone sheets. I've found them quite easy to work with, although bending the stone over the top edge of the bridge proved very difficult on card and I've had to glue it with tacky glue for it to stay.

Thanks,

Jack.

Layouts coming on nicely Jack. Love the DRS fleet you have there. Bet you don't need any lighting on the layout with all those flasks. Just got a nice permenant green glow. HaHaHa.

Cheers Marcus, I must admit from across the hall at night recently I've seen a faint green glow coming from the railway room...must investigate haha :O

Jack.

It's when you find a puddle on the end of one of the flask wagons and it hasn't been raining it's time to panic. HeHe.

Haha yeah that'd be a neat little cameo with loads of inspectors and people in white suits inspecting the 'leak'...something different!

Evening,

Just a little update to show I've taped down some black emery paper to the car park area to simulate Tarmac. I've simply cut it to shape (the bit not covered at the top will be concrete, honest! :yes:), and double sided sticky taped it down. Also a sneaky shot of 'Craftsman' with a brace of FNAs ;)

post-21664-0-48939200-1441387104_thumb.jpg

post-21664-0-22326800-1441387111_thumb.jpg

Back to school after this weekend...I'll be at Blackburn Ex behind New Bryford both days, so pop by and say hi to Mick and me if you're there.

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 5