The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Scottish Independence - would England and Wales be better off

rovex

I agree that the four countries are better off together. I do think though that there should be much more devolution from Westminster and not just for Scotland. However, perhaps it should be noted that the cost per head of the population of Scotland to the UK government is higher than the other three - even allowing for Ulster security costs - so in that sense, if Scottish residents do vote for independence, there would be a per capita cost reduction in the rUK ... there would be potential for a small reduction in taxes but that might be offset by the costs of border security between England and a newly foreign country.

A foreign country which, we might note, is planning a defence establishment larger than that of Belgium and the Netherlands combined. What would all those troops be for?

I agree that the four countries are better off together. I do think though that there should be much more devolution from Westminster and not just for Scotland.

That's probably the only way that the Union could be saved, either now or, if this referendum fails, in a generation's time.

However, perhaps it should be noted that the cost per head of the population of Scotland to the UK government is higher than the other three - even allowing for Ulster security costs - so in that sense, if Scottish residents do vote for independence, there would be a per capita cost reduction in the rUK ... there would be potential for a small reduction in taxes....

Not exactly true, if Scotland did become independent the Treasury would loose more in tax income than it would gain by loosing it's present payments to Scotland. So an independent Scotland is likely to be better off and the rUK worse.

....but that might be offset by the costs of border security between England and a newly foreign country.

That is pure paranoia. The borders between the UK and the Republic of Ireland have always been open, and I can see no reason for a different arrangement between Scotland and the UK.

• RMweb Gold

Not exactly true, if Scotland did become independent the Treasury would loose more in tax income than it would gain by loosing it's present payments to Scotland. So an independent Scotland is likely to be better off and the rUK worse.

If meaning oil revenues, I always find it amusing when in Shetland that they regard themselves more as Scandinavians and not Scottish, the general feeling was that the Scots were trying to claim something which did not belong to them.

Seems you can't please anyone........

I wish there was a device that could show what people were thinking vice what they were saying.  Would be very useful with politicians (would probably blow a fuse).

The whole debate is very complex and the inability of politicians to tell the truth or to reveal their true agendas makes it very hard for 'joe public' to get a true vision of the subject.

The reason that Salmond can promise the earth is that the Scots don't have such a long life span as the English (too many deep-fried Mars bars?), so the pension bill will be less.  :stinker:

Ed

The answer to the OP is a definite NO, I certainly hope the vote is agin, but I suspect that even if it is we haven't heard the last of this.

Very hard to say. Financially, whether we would be better off "down south" without Scotland depends on exactly how you do the sums. The SNPs projections of an independent Scotland's financial future seem to assume a best case scenario with Scotland walking away from the UK national debt but keeping all the oil revenues. In that scenario, rUK would probably be worse off, even with the higher per-capita currently allocated to Scotland.

However such a deal is extremely unlikely to be agreed, however much the SNP might want it. In fact, the most realistic proposal I have seen so far would be a straight oil-for debt swap. Curiously, if we assume that Scotland owes 8% of the national debt (on the the simple basis that 8% of the UK population live there) then 8% of the national debt is actually pretty close to the value of the estimated oil reserves remaining to be extracted from beneath Scottish waters.

Based on simple per-capita calculations, rUK would benefit marginally from scottish independence as it would leave a slightly larger slice of the pie for those of us south of the border. However I suspect that any benefits would likely be lost due to the costs of having to duplicate legislative agencies and having to replace key national infrastructure such as Faslane.

People often comment that lawyers are the ones who benefit most financially from a divorce and I suspect the same is true here. It will not be the voters on either side of the border who get any financial benefit from independence. Any gains will be swallowed up by the costs of duplicating organisations and infrastructure on either side of the border that is currently shared.

What seems strange to me is that the very many Scots who happen to live in another part of their United Kingdom are denied a say in what happens to their nation within the UK. In other words if you're a Scot who happens to live in Newcastle, which doesn't make you a migrant except perhaps in Mr. Salmond's eyes, you could effectively be turned into a foreigner without having had a say in it.  

If we hadn't been a United Kingdom then we probably wouldn't have had the combined strength to stand up to Hitler, the Kaiser or Bonaparte. That's worth a heck of a lot more than a penny or two on or off the income tax or making a few politicians in Edinburgh feel much more important. 

• RMweb Gold

Speaking to a Scot who lives South of the border recently, they said that the reason they were denied a vote on their homeland was because they had chosen to leave it for work and felt it was the SNP sticking 2 fingers up to them for doing so. They also said that they had worked with Salmond in the past and feared that it was just a big vanity project for him with little hope of actually working.

On a recent holiday the subject came up with a mix of Europeans and North Americans and all were completely bemused as to why Scotland would want to leave the UK, they also all felt that what they had seen and read had been nothing more than "soundbite politics" with nothing substantial.

Archived