Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

I might try an objective comparison between these two models, but then, who is sub objective?

Subtle differences in the plastic finish perhaps, the Heljan O2 is definitely a heavyweight too!  Not that the Hornby O1 lacks weight.

Apologies for hand-held pic at 1/6th second.

Second pic from Iphone6 

More and 'proper' photos in due course.

post-7929-0-72515500-1461289241_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-36929800-1461290127_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Before going completely mad with eight-coupled goods engines I would like to nominate this model as Hornby's best...   well, today at least , since I just bought it.   :)   Lovely green colour....

post-7929-0-16886900-1461381417_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The new B17 model's strangely depressed superheater header covers are the one significant blot that my eye is always drawn toward. Easy to correct thankfully. With the small GER pattern tender to make it a 'Sandy', the charm of this model is redoubled.

Before going completely mad with eight-coupled goods engines...

You may want to hold a little madness in reserve for the GN cab and tender O2 versions. Very characterful.

That we should have three native LNER design eight coupleds, (with another to come) and a generous helping of the rest of the UK's eight coupled types available RTR is not something I ever expected.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 1

The new B17 model's strangely depressed superheater header covers are the one significant blot that my eye is always drawn toward. Easy to correct thankfully. With the small GER pattern tender to make it a 'Sandy', the charm of this model is redoubled.

You may want to hold a little madness in reserve for the GN cab and tender O2 versions. Very characterful.

That we should have three native LNER design eight coupleds, (with another to come) and a generous helping of the rest of the UK's eight coupled types available RTR is not something I ever expected.

Indeed it is marvellous to have so many excellent models of engines which truly represent the age of steam. For me this is 1910-1950 give-or-take but of course extended far further back.  The Robinson O4, the O1 and O2 rebuilds, and the ex-LNWR G2a 0-8-0 all have great appeal in this sense, I always liked large engines!  

The B17 whatever its weaknesses in real life really was a beauty. I notice the pristine small-tender  R3318 61646 'Gilwell Park' is not stocked as widely, nor with the discounting afforded the weathered version R3004 61631 'Serlby Hall', I wonder why?  edit; not so sure, I think some do discount it to £109 or thereabouts.

I have been trying to work out which B17s spent time on ex-GCR lines, but it is not very clear from my shed allocation books.

edit; but have just dug out my 'Power of the B17s' book by OPC which has individual histories...  great!   :)

Edited by robmcg

Here are two of the three main LNER eight-coupled engines, O1 by Hornby and O2 by Heljan.

Note the Heljan was reduced in price because of minor detail damage, bought second-hand. Both run beautifully, smooth and silent, the Hornby is the quieter ,  I have tried to do both photos with identical lighting.  There is marking on the O2 smokebox door but to me that's a bit like typical smokebox burning from ash.

If I was to be fussy, each has a visible plastic join-line on the boiler-smokebox (doesn't worry me though) , the O2 looks to have slightly finer flanges, and it is certainly heavier model, the finish being a fraction less sharp, but all-in-all they are both simply superb. I paid £129 less VAT about £104 for the Heljan O2 plus £8.50 airmail to NZ, and about the same for the Hornby O1 with free delivery for the latter.

Actually they are quite hard to find at these prices with lowish/zero delivery costs, and I was especially pleased to get the new O1 with intact smokebox handles! I observe a lot advertised without the handles, knowingly or otherwise, B1s too.

Further to the plastic and paint finish, it is my tentative conjecture that the Hornby finish is slightly more brittle and sharp-looking than the Heljan, or Bachmann for that matter, and it's a matter of taste which is better, shades of the Standard 4MT comparisons.

post-7929-0-01511600-1461451051_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-61746400-1461451068_thumb.jpg

and lest we forget,  the lovely Bachmann O4 ...

enhanced a bit

post-7929-0-12961100-1461451143_thumb.jpg

edit; I would have taken the front coupling out of the O1 but it is too tight and I fear breaking the front pony truck. It's as if welded in.  sigh

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Both of my O1's  are secondhand , the one I have just renumbered  was £57 via ebay so well pleased with that price. I don't think the other one would have been much more a few months ago.  It was missing the brake rods and front steps. Modified Brake Rods from a Hornby P2  for the Loco and a Hornby B1 set for the Tender and Hornby L1 steps sorted out that for minimal cost. I tried the Bachmann O4 versions but sadly they don't fit being far too wide. Mine also had the front coupling fitted and it didn't want to come out, I cut if off flat against the bogie.

Hornby haven't even issued a Service sheet for the O1 and no spares of any kind appear to be available?.

I still haven't seen a O2 "in the flesh" there something about it which doesn't appeal , some with poor running , handrails unpainted and wrong sizes on the Tender  and plastic handrail knobs , wrong cab spectacles shape and badly moulded chimneys , I won't mention the price either  :O !! 

Edit

Nearly forget the "plastic" paint finish and the "Gold" window surrounds !!

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Heljan really don't have a good track record with UK steamers. I'm hoping they pick up their game for the GWR 47xx

There are one or two members of this forum who might not agree with that summation.The first 'all Heljan' release is actually the O2 released a couple of months ago Too early then to use the term 'track record'.Let's put the record straight by using the phrase 'a chequered start' mainly in terms of quality control. Its performance is outstanding.Best to wait and see and not pre judge.

• RMweb Gold

And the Garratt as well.

At the risk of sounding pedantic and of repeating what has been posted many times before,the BG is a Hattons commission produced on what was clearly a tightly controlled budget by Heljan.Yes,it has had its difficulties as we all know but really were not Heljan perhaps given an impossible brief given the obvious complexities of the prototype and its replica in model form ?

Thus the O2 remains in strict terms,Heljan's first. We are in any case way off topic,aren't we ?

I would have taken the front coupling out of the O1 but it is too tight and I fear breaking the front pony truck. It's as if welded in.  sigh

If you ease off the front keeper plate screw a couple of turns, the lower keeper plate which retains the pony truck will move enough to allow you to unclip it: then you can apply all the force required wth no risk of collateral damage.

Heljan really don't have a good track record with UK steamers. I'm hoping they pick up their game for the GWR 47xx

Even ignoring that the B-G was a Hattons commission to that business'  specification, I reckon if you were to ask the typical B-G owner - I know two - or the typical O2 owner (me for example) what they feel about the product, you would find them smiling.

It's rather early to consider a track record on the basis that the O2 definitely isn't perfect. Because that applies to all the models I own. In the LNER 2-80 stakes the Hornby O1 has their daft camming pony truck, ugly cut outs in the cylinder fronts, isn't quite heavy enough to pull a full load, and has a visibly out of position loco to tender coupling; the Bachmann O4 an overlong widened section of the footplate over the cylinders, the piston axis pointing below the centre of the crank axle, and isn't heavy enough to pull a full load. What the Heljan O2 definitely has is plenty of weight for traction, and a mechanism to adequately exploit that weight: that happens to be what floats my boat once the basic 'looks like the subject' criterion is met. My assessment then, a very promising start.

Indeed the GNR version O2s will be full of character,  but more importantly, you have reminded me of the charm of the small-tender Sandringhams, the current Hornby BR 61646 'Gilwell Park' being an example....   when people talk of B17s being not very great, I like to think of 61663 'Everton', nearly new, on a 1937 Swindon to York service passing Staverton 20.8 miles from Swindon in 17 mins 30 secs., touching 88mph at Wantage Road, fully a minute ahead of the GWR timing for 'The Cheltenham Flyer'. 

Lovely proportions, these engines had....  and the Hornby model tender-gap (closed-up at tad in this photo) and green paint notwithstanding is a superb model.

post-7929-0-61296400-1461534591_thumb.jpg

p.s. I will judge the GN version O2 when they arrive, but the prices are steep!

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

About time Hornby did West Ham United as a LNER Footballer version of the B17 . :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Ah, but should they do it factory-weathered or not?   The Man United special Edition I think sold quite well, weathered, but the current weathered Serlby Hall B17 small-tender version I'm not sure if the weathering isn't a bit along the lines of the weathered K1 now being sold cheaply here and there.

I haven't checked but are not all these current offerings of B17s the B17/6 version?  Some of which were not converted to B17/6 until 1957 and then withdrawn by 1959-60.

Some wartime, post-war or LNER colours would be nice, but maybe the earlier years the details were different. Methinks some reading is in order..

edit;  61637 Thorpe Hall R2921 is listed as B17/2 at least, and LNER green Sandringham is B17/1 of course.

Edited by robmcg

A matched pair of "Footballers" would be nice, Everton and Liverpool perhaps.....  

And yes, the less said about Hornby Factory Weathering the better, the weathered K1 looks like its been driven at speed through a dairy farmers slurry pit!

• RMweb Gold

A matched pair of "Footballers" would be nice, Everton and Liverpool perhaps.....  

And yes, the less said about Hornby Factory Weathering the better, the weathered K1 looks like its been driven at speed through a dairy farmers slurry pit!

Of course....naturally a Hatton's "special"...well,maybe,Hattons now dealing with DJM...

Of course....naturally a Hatton's "special"...well,maybe,Hattons now dealing with DJM...

I was just thinking....

Knowing that Hornby can be a tad creative with liveries (Olton Hall?) howabout Everton in Express Blue and Liverpool in Maroon?