Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

• RMweb Gold

It looks a bit like you've sprayed cellulose over enamel to me is the lacquer cellulose?

Regards Lez. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

It looks a bit like you've sprayed cellulose over enamel to me is the lacquer cellulose?

Regards Lez. 

It certainly gives the impression that something like that has happened doesn't it Lez!

There aren't any clues on the can as to what kind of paint it is.  It's described as "Universal Clear Lacquer - Gloss" and it says on the front of the can "Provides a durable gloss finish that protects and enhances paint finishes including cellulose", and on the back the only clue as to what it contains is where it says "Contains: Acetone".

I usually use Halfords paints for finishing coaches in maroon livery (which are acrylic I believe) so I imagine it would work OK with them; I only used Railmatch enamel on this one as I haven't got a Halfords colour for crimson livery.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

If it has acetone in it it sounds like it might be cellulose. While you can over paint cellulose with enamel you can't over paint enamel with cellulose. It's the best enamel paint stripper ever, it will destroy plastic as well. Don't ask me how I know just accept that I KNOW......... the hard way.😳

Regards Lez.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, lezz01 said:

If it has acetone in it it sounds like it might be cellulose. While you can over paint cellulose with enamel you can't over paint enamel with cellulose. It's the best enamel paint stripper ever, it will destroy plastic as well. Don't ask me how I know just accept that I KNOW......... the hard way.😳

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez, and now I seem to have found out the hard way too!   🙄

Luckily it doesn't seem to have attacked the plastic, and with a lot of brute force and language I was able to get most of the paint off again.  I hadn't got anything suitable to use as a paint stripper but it mostly came off when attacked with a glass fibre pen!  Strangely enough, on the side with the reasonably decent finish it seemed easier to get the primer off back to bare plastic, whereas on the side with the 'sun burn' the primer was more reluctant to come off.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to read of this Steve! Quite odd though, that one side's so much worse. Was there really no difference between the two sides' previous stages?

It could of course be as you suggested, that the poorer side had a much heavier coat, whereas the better side's lacquer was thinner and therefore able to lose its solvents to evaporation before they did any harm… Interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Sorry to read of this Steve! Quite odd though, that one side's so much worse. Was there really no difference between the two sides' previous stages?

It could of course be as you suggested, that the poorer side had a much heavier coat, whereas the better side's lacquer was thinner and therefore able to lose its solvents to evaporation before they did any harm… Interesting. 

Thanks Chas, yes I thought it odd too.  I couldn't really think of any difference between the treatment of the two sides.  I had cleaned the whole body with Cif before spraying it and coated it with Halford's primer and then Railmatch enamel both sides at the same time (so both sides had had the same amount of time to dry), then I sprayed the Halford's Lacquer onto both sides, again both sides at the same time.  I can't exactly remember but I think there was quite a long interval between the enamel and the lacquer; as I spray things outdoors in the back yard it's often a case of waiting for suitable weather!

So I can only assume I may have been more heavy handed on one side than the other.

Anyway, as Lez said, it seems to be a lesson learnt!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/01/2024 at 23:29, jimwal said:

My phone (Samsung A52s) uses a different photo format to any of the accepted types here.

Until I find way round it, I'm unable to upload any pictures here.

I had the same problem when one of the updates to my iPhone made it compress photos in HEIF, which my PC doesn't read, rather than jpeg. I was able to change the compression back to jpg in settings so you may be able to do the same though that won't help with any photos already stored in that format. There are also conversion apps available for the PC such as Pixillion that are free for non-commercial use. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2024 at 23:32, 31A said:

as I spray things outdoors in the back yard it's often a case of waiting for suitable weather!

So I can only assume I may have been more heavy handed on one side than the other.

Anyway, as Lez said, it seems to be a lesson learnt!

You can get a spray booth with all the bits and bobs for just under £50 on Amazon although the average price seems to be £110. I brought mine about 5 years ago and it cost £35 on eBay. They are now £150 plus from UK vendors although the same item from Germany is only £71 with free postage. I don't know if you will have to pay VAT and Import Duty but they are worth a look. Mine works really well I can even sneak a cheeky ciggy indoors with it running without anyone knowing although I only did that the first time I set it up just to see how well it actually worked, I haven't smoked in the house since my Kimmy gave it up 15 or so years ago. I thought it might have been a hunk of junk for the money I paid for it but no it really works very well, far better than I had any right to expect for 35 quid that's for sure. 

Regards Lez 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, lezz01 said:

You can get a spray booth with all the bits and bobs for just under £50 on Amazon although the average price seems to be £110. I brought mine about 5 years ago and it cost £35 on eBay. They are now £150 plus from UK vendors although the same item from Germany is only £71 with free postage. I don't know if you will have to pay VAT and Import Duty but they are worth a look. Mine works really well I can even sneak a cheeky ciggy indoors with it running without anyone knowing although I only did that the first time I set it up just to see how well it actually worked, I haven't smoked in the house since my Kimmy gave it up 15 or so years ago. I thought it might have been a hunk of junk for the money I paid for it but no it really works very well, far better than I had any right to expect for 35 quid that's for sure. 

Regards Lez 

Hi Lez, many thanks for this; I really must give some thought to buying a spray booth of some sort, it would make life a lot easier when the weather is like we've had so much of lately!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Ian Blenk said:

Great shots, we used to live in Pickering for a number of years, just up the road from the station. No overall roof then.

Thank you Ian, glad you like the photos.  I think the Pickering station restoration maybe one of the best things the NYMR has done!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice photos Steve.

One of the nice things about the spray booth I brought is that it folds to about the size of a briefcase when not in use. It came with a 6' x 4" dia. flexible hose with an attachment a bit like a vacuum cleaner head that you can trap in an open window. It also has a turntable and a very efficient filter.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Nice photos Steve.

One of the nice things about the spray booth I brought is that it folds to about the size of a briefcase when not in use. It came with a 6' x 4" dia. flexible hose with an attachment a bit like a vacuum cleaner head that you can trap in an open window. It also has a turntable and a very efficient filter.

Regards Lez. 

That is very handy to know Lez, as I was wondering where I could keep such a thing if I got one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I love your last Pickering photo. It almost has a Cuneo feel to it!

On paints, have you tried Ford Rosso Red for BR crimson? I find it very good.

Andy

Thank you Andy; I was quite surprised by how well those pictures at Pickering came out!  The last one wasn't a great shot of the loco but I like the way the steam filters up into the roof ironwork.

Ford Rosso Red - that's the one!  I haven't got any of that, but will try and remember to look for it when I go to Halford's next.

Cheers!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 31A said:

Thank you Andy; I was quite surprised by how well those pictures at Pickering came out!  The last one wasn't a great shot of the loco but I like the way the steam filters up into the roof ironwork.

Ford Rosso Red - that's the one!  I haven't got any of that, but will try and remember to look for it when I go to Halford's next.

Cheers!

When I lived in the UK, I found that Peugeot Regency Red was a good match for BR crimson (and Rover Damask Red for maroon).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

When I lived in the UK, I found that Peugeot Regency Red was a good match for BR crimson (and Rover Damask Red for maroon).

Thanks John, that's a couple of others to look for then.  My brain couldn't cope with remembering all those, I need to start a shopping list!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

One if those (Damask Red ?) is discontinued I think (possibly because so is Rover !). If you see it buy a couple of tins. 

Failing that, this lot will sell you a 400ml aerosol can of anything you can find a code for. I used then for RAF Light Aircraft Grey, Hemp and Dark Sea Grey - https://www.riolettcustomaerosols.co.uk/

Fair comment - I haven't lived in the UK since 2001!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, 31A said:

I do like Pickering Station since they've restored the overall roof, and in the twilight it was very atmospheric.  

Atmospheric? Your photos are just full of it! A really successful set!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

One if those (Damask Red ?) is discontinued I think (possibly because so is Rover !). If you see it buy a couple of tins. 

Failing that, this lot will sell you a 400ml aerosol can of anything you can find a code for. I used then for RAF Light Aircraft Grey, Hemp and Dark Sea Grey - https://www.riolettcustomaerosols.co.uk/

Thanks Stuart, worth looking into!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Atmospheric? Your photos are just full of it! A really successful set!

Thank you, much appreciated!  Surprising sometimes what comes out of a smart phone when you just point and shoot!

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Damask red is still widely available in multiple media options. Amazon brings the best results although you can find it on eBay as well. The last time this came up on another thread around November there were at least 4 different manufactures producing Damask red as an aerosol plus others producing paint for self thinning for spraying.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, 31A said:

Scalefour News issue 166 February 2010 included a list of Halfords equivalent paints for railway colours,

Some colours may nolonger be available as it was a while ago.

Halfordspaintequivalentsnotes.png.daa74619ab13ed7c601d5736ca99b1fd.pngHalfordspaintequivalents.png.7118b0e6b179b7399228500ac8485a2a.png

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6