Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

G'Day Folks

Re. Black five, North London Line, Running powers, Broad St closed.

manna

An excuse for every occasion..............🤪

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, manna said:

Black five, North London Line, Running powers, Broad St closed.

Nice one, thank you!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, stewartingram said:

There was a Black 5 allocated to 34A for a while.

Indeed there was; not that particular one but I have not renumbered it as it was a bequest from a late friend and it seems disrespectful to alter its identity.  Although I have detailed it with a Brassmasters kit. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning folks,

Following Mr Wealleans lead, Carlisle v Arsenal or Tottenham, FA Cup 3rd Round tie.

Football pedant more On.

Forest Green Rovers are based in Gloucestershire and would have been unlikely to be playing in London.

Football pedant more Off.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

41 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Forest Green Rovers are based in Gloucestershire

Quite right.   I was thinking of Forest Gate, who I now find play as Clapton Community FC.   Maybe Eric was playing a half time benefit gig for them?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good morning folks,

Maybe an excuse for a Carlisle Canal A3 to visit Finsbury as well?

Cheers, Nigel.

Good idea - thank you; I haven't got any of those (yet)!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Getting into the realms of fantasy now, I think. I wonder how many times, if at all, a Carlisle Canal A3 got to London?  Now, as the Midland had those five day diagrams which could result in locos going a long way from home, a Carlisle black 5 in London could happen, though much more likely to Euston or St Pancras. The latter is pretty close to Finsbury though, isn't it? Or a temporary and unrecorded transfer would do the trick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

Or a temporary and unrecorded transfer would do the trick.

That's been my excuse so far!

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 31A said:

That's been my excuse so far!

Hopefully to an ER shed, or you're going to need some LMR coaches for 44668.  Either a football excursion set, or some kind of odd peak hour semi-fast that has been running since pre-grouping times using running powers as suggested by @manna.

Of course, since Finsbury Square is fictitious, you are free to invent whatever other connections you need to explain such a train.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, great northern said:

Getting into the realms of fantasy now, I think. I wonder how many times, if at all, a Carlisle Canal A3 got to London?  .

Not total fantasy, GN. Some years ago, I did see a picture of one of the Canal quartet at the buffer stops at The Cross. And there's a (well-known?) John Aylard photo of 60068 heading north at Wood Green with a fitted goods from Kings Cross goods yard, complete with newly fitted double pot and 12C shed plate. The latter definitely running in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 24/03/2024 at 08:13, GMKAT7 said:

Good morning folks,

Following Mr Wealleans lead, Carlisle v Arsenal or Tottenham, FA Cup 3rd Round tie.

Football pedant more On.

Forest Green Rovers are based in Gloucestershire and would have been unlikely to be playing in London.

Football pedant more Off.

Cheers, Nigel.

Aged Footy nerd says FGR wern't even invented in the late 50s early 60s. 

Created by the amazing Dale Vince I believe he's called. Quite a character. Hippy but makes Diamonds and is strictly Vegan; sometimes all at the same time as well.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022
Butt0ck clenchingly bad spelling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/03/2024 at 21:06, 31A said:

The Black 5 that sneaked into the background of a recent photo raised some interest on here and with the local spotters, and one of them followed her down to the loco yard to record this momentous apparition.

IMG_7378.jpeg.78d27a0b72a3d3065ec9a6343465d5bc.jpeg

IMG_7377.jpeg.fcc5cae9750d5469f5a040f2058f936c.jpeg

As I mentioned, this Hornby model came from the estate of a deceased chum and colleague, so I didn't really want to renumber her, and not being much of an expert on such locos I'd probably have chosen one with the wrong sort of boiler or something anyway.  

But I did do a bit of upgrading.  I got the Brassmasters detailing kit, but ended up not using a great deal of it.  I did use the etches that provide the front frames (which block daylight between the cylinders and the driving wheels) and provide the motion bracket that supports the slide bars.  The kit provides castings for the tender springs and axle boxes, which are moulded in rather low relief on the Hornby model, but I didn't use them as I also wanted to address the spurious 'ledge' at the bottom of the tender tank.  Instead, I got a Bachmann Jubilee tender underframe and fitted that, which addressed both issues and seemed a lot easier than carving the springs and axle boxes off the Hornby moulding.  The Bachmann item needed a bit of 'adjustment' at the front end to fit the Hornby tender body, but it wasn't difficult.  I did however remove the moulded brake shoes from the Bachmann tender side frames, and replaced them with brake gear from a Mainly Trains etch.  I also made my own tender pick ups to replace the Hornby ones lost in this conversion.

I fitted Alan Gibson bogie wheels, but the bogie was then reluctant to stay on the rails on curves, so I added a coil spring above the bogie to give a bit of side control.  The bogie then stayed on the rails, but the loco was now unbalanced (the rear driving axle is sprung) so I added some lead weight in the smokebox to try and restore equilibrium and tractive effort.  She does, however, still 'sit down' a little towards the rear.

I made cylinder drains from wire, but didn't fit the Brassmasters injectors as I couldn't really make out where they were supposed to be attached!

Some light weathering and she's a useful member of the fleet, but I still haven't come up with an explanation for a Kingmoor loco being at an ER terminus in London!

Hockey or Rugby Special Steve. Crewe failed to return the 5 and used it on this going South to complete Run In after a minor Repair.

Simples as 5s were universal Engines. So easy to Drive and Fire that POrters could do it...but the Injectors needed a big 'ammer occasionally.

No nonsense footy matches required.

Ar$£

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Should have said what a great attitude to an 'inherited' item. I now know that the several G#R 4.6.0s I have ready for you will be well loved and employed (🤐)

I. D. Jut

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Should have said what a great attitude to an 'inherited' item. I now know that the several G#R 4.6.0s I have ready for you will be well loved and employed (🤐)

I. D. Jut

Steve, he is scaring you again with threats of them funny looking N-gins.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Hopefully to an ER shed, or you're going to need some LMR coaches for 44668.  Either a football excursion set, or some kind of odd peak hour semi-fast that has been running since pre-grouping times using running powers as suggested by @manna.

Of course, since Finsbury Square is fictitious, you are free to invent whatever other connections you need to explain such a train.

It's found its way to Peterborough off the Midland and the New England B1 for the up Parly has failed, so Spital Bridge being closer to the station than New England, it's got roped in!?

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, 31A said:

It's found its way to Peterborough off the Midland and the New England B1 for the up Parly has failed, so Spital Bridge being closer to the station than New England, it's got roped in!?

Or just "Its my train set".

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Not total fantasy, GN. Some years ago, I did see a picture of one of the Canal quartet at the buffer stops at The Cross. And there's a (well-known?) John Aylard photo of 60068 heading north at Wood Green with a fitted goods from Kings Cross goods yard, complete with newly fitted double pot and 12C shed plate. The latter definitely running in.

I think I have seen the one of 60068, and they must have appeared on other occasions, but not very often. My 1961 Ian Allan tells me that I saw 72 out of the 78 A3s, over a period of about eight or nine years, and of the seven I never saw two were Carlisle engines, Sir Visto and Bayardo. I know I saw the other two at Doncaster, Flamingo in Plant, and Coronach at the station, ex works and taking a train North. The other five were Haymarket engines, including the ever elusive Cicero.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, 31A said:

Or came across to Cambridge on the Bletchley and pinched for a London train.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

It could have come from the M&GN via Norwich or over the GE & GN joint line.

I think that's maybe stretching it a bit Phil, I don't think I've ever heard of any Black 5s on the M&GN!  😉

Really, it's there because the computer says so!  Looks like tomorrow we've got a Standard 5 coming as well:

Screenshot2024-03-25at22_22_30.png.3fa0834f662475c78242fefe51fc6b85.png

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1