OO gauge J94 Austerity Tank locomotive

DJM Dave

I am happy to report that conversion to EM has proved straight forward following Andy Ys example. I have pulled the wheels out on the stub axles and the loco is currently circling the clubs test track in EM.

It's not a finessed conversion yet, I need to insert spacers and some glue but the process has at least worked.

The loco runs sweet and quietly.

Hi Andy,

I can put a list on here if Daves happy with it, I've added a list on my own thread.

The production etches should arrive next week hopefully as the amended drawings have been approved and will be added to the website then.

A giesl ejector well specially for the dj models loco will be produced shortly,

Hi mate,

Feel free, I'm all for helping the modelling community so go for it.

Cheers

Dave

A particular credit should go to you on this video of the most accurate capturing of the tone of yellow which seems to baffle every stills camera pointed at it. As you have shown, it is comparatively softer than most pics (mine included) show. Even the still of the Youtube clip has it quite sherberty.

Thanks ever so much indeed Andy. I tried by best to get the camera focusing right on it.  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a "Dog ate my homework" excuse if there ever was one :-)

Only kidding, sounds horrific !

Paid my invoice, and await the canarys' arrival.

Yes it does I guess, but on seeing the the the theft from my card it was almost surreal.......can't be happening to me etc!!, bank was good though, all money dutifully returned and J 94 om its way to Oz.

Now one happy bunny :no:

Mike

Love the fact that 68023 has been modelled from Darlington 51A. 

Instant Purchase!

It does make renumbering mine to 68011 or 68051 easier as I don't need to source replacement shedplates. I can't do 68047 as I've already used the front numberplate for that one on a Hornby loco I renumbered and weathered several years ago and have since sold on.

I got given a set of J94 brass etches from the Brassmasters (I think) kit several years ago. This has provided the Revenge and Respite nameplates and some fronts. David Temple had built a Brassmasters J94 for a customer about 20 years ago and the leftover etches were a peace offering for a delay in a saddletank he was making for me.

Do Brassmasters still exist? If so could they be persuaded to make the frets available as a separate item? If not, could someone find the etches and run some? I'll try and take a photo of the remains of the etches tomorrow if the light allows.

All the very best

Les

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Just purchased 68023 at Rails today. The model runs as sweetly as the Hornby J15. That is a big plus for it. Also the better detail and finish. The old Dapol/Hornby model is OK, but having seen them side by side, I can see the areas that have been improved upon.

I think it still is a shame that the Q6 was aborted after Hornby's was announced. It would have been so good and classy.

With regards,

Rob.

It does make renumbering mine to 68011 or 68051 easier as I don't need to source replacement shedplates. I can't do 68047 as I've already used the front numberplate for that one on a Hornby loco I renumbered and weathered several years ago and have since sold on.

I got given a set of J94 brass etches from the Brassmasters (I think) kit several years ago. This has provided the Revenge and Respite nameplates and some fronts. David Temple had built a Brassmasters J94 for a customer about 20 years ago and the leftover etches were a peace offering for a delay in a saddletank he was making for me.

Do Brassmasters still exist? If so could they be persuaded to make the frets available as a separate item? If not, could someone find the etches and run some? I'll try and take a photo of the remains of the etches tomorrow if the light allows.

All the very best

Les

Also saves on weathering as Darlington were known to clean there J94s that were kept in the old roundhouse, and little else over in the main shed. 

Also saves on weathering as Darlington were known to clean there J94s that were kept in the old roundhouse, and little else over in the main shed.

Ah yes, but there was a steady supply of immaculate locos coming out of works for running in, so it didn't really get noticed all that much... Three of the six WD diagrams were always clean ones, the other three were the local trio.

Les

Do Brassmasters still exist? If so could they be persuaded to make the frets available as a separate item? If not, could someone find the etches and run some?

Les

Yes Brassmasters still exist, link http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/index.html

RT Models do a good range of J94 parts too: http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_023.htm

Had good service from both concerns recently.

Regards,

Martyn.

Pardon the query on here, but I got the invoice last week for the BR black version ordered, and fully paid for via Pay Pal, which is acknowledged on my PayPal A/C as a payment paid to DJ Models.

As of Tuesday 13 sept., I have not yet got the model, not a problem, it may just be in the system, but I received no further email acknowledgement of the payment and I do not really know who is despatching it to me, as both DJ models and Kernow have been mentioned in the postings on RMweb about the Hunslet. I obviously cannot give the details on here as to the invoice or payment, but what is the current delivery situation,

Stephen Wallin

I have sent on by PM the details of the Pay Pal transaction number and the original Pay Pay invoice number, to get an acknowledgement that all is well with the order, as your website is reporting sold out.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the mails here and the PM.

I've looked into this for you and i'm afraid i've let you down, so please accept my apology.

when i was sending all the orders to Kernow for processing and dispatch i left yours off accidentally and moved your file into the 'dispatched' section thinking i had done the correct thing, and not realizing i hadn't.

I have contacted Kernow and there is a model winging it's way to you today, for delivery tomorrow morning, again with my humblest apologies.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the mails here and the PM.

I've looked into this for you and i'm afraid i've let you down, so please accept my apology.

when i was sending all the orders to Kernow for processing and dispatch i left yours off accidentally and moved your file into the 'dispatched' section thinking i had done the correct thing, and not realizing i hadn't.

I have contacted Kernow and there is a model winging it's way to you today, for delivery tomorrow morning, again with my humblest apologies.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for sorting it out so quickly, looking forward to receipt of the loco.

Stephen

How the heck did Stratford get their hands on this?

First impressions.

General appearance is very well packed and on opening the box well presented.

The basic accuracy and details have been gone over so I will not add any comments, other than that the wheels appear to me to be better than a lot of offerings.

Using a  Gaugemaster W it takes quite a bit of voltage to set it moving.

Not quite as smooth and slow running as some modern locos when first placed on the track.

There is also more side to side movement than in some models.

However when I attached a couple of wagons it started to behave.

Is this down to the light weight?

All versions seem to come with holes in the buffer beam for vac and steam pipes which will mean blocking them up and touching in the paint.

Same applied with the Hornby J15 so that seems to be the current industry standard.

I still get grumpy as it will need a new tin of paint again as it dries out between uses. :O

An excellent addition to the growing stud of Durham based machines for when I get around to a layout based on that part of the world.

Bernard

post-149-0-08049900-1473867331.jpg

I hope I am not jumping the gun, but looking at the service sheet I see that the axles are gear coupled, not driven by the side rods. It means a lot of gears operating at once, I hope it is quiet in operation. Also a Flywheel is listed in the Specification, but the motor seems not to be fitted with one? As it is a coreless motor it would have to be on the gear end with the worm, is it just not shown as a part?

I must say that I would be tempted to drop the gears and drive one axle, with new bearing in the side rods if over sized holes are used, as with many all geared designs.

Anyway it will be run in first and may need no attention to the gears.

Stephen

You mentioned tomorrow morning, not here today,14th, so down to the post I expect.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

The model was coming from Cornwall and needs to be signed for.

so i would think the distance and yesterdays weather in parts of the country might have had an impact on the journey time.

Please let me know tomorrow via PM

cheers

Dave

Very impressed with my model. Smooth performance after 15 minutes running-in each way. 

Having subsequently dismantled it to allow for easier painting, I'm very impressed with the exquisite small motor. Not the easiest of models to take apart - lots of delicate parts such as the reversing leaver, which is only joined to the footplate in one place, and not glued to the cab.

I'm only replacing the injectors, hand rail knobs and smokebox door dart. The injectors because I already have some rtmodels ones in stock, the handrails knobs because my chosen prototype has a different arrangement and the door dart because it looks too fine compared to my kit built locos...

I'll share photos once done modifying.

Paul A. 

How the heck did Stratford get their hands on this?

First impressions.

General appearance is very well packed and on opening the box well presented.

The basic accuracy and details have been gone over so I will not add any comments, other than that the wheels appear to me to be better than a lot of offerings.

Using a  Gaugemaster W it takes quite a bit of voltage to set it moving.

Not quite as smooth and slow running as some modern locos when first placed on the track.

There is also more side to side movement than in some models.

However when I attached a couple of wagons it started to behave.

Is this down to the light weight?

All versions seem to come with holes in the buffer beam for vac and steam pipes which will mean blocking them up and touching in the paint.

Same applied with the Hornby J15 so that seems to be the current industry standard.

I still get grumpy as it will need a new tin of paint again as it dries out between uses. :O

An excellent addition to the growing stud of Durham based machines for when I get around to a layout based on that part of the world.

Bernard

attachicon.gifDSC_0536.JPG

Light engine it does waddle a bit.

However after a ride hell-for-leather down Junction Bank on one of the Lambton system's WD saddletanks (spent clinging on to the brake standard) I can assure you the movement of a WD saddletank in service was anything but smooth.

I like watching the lurch when it encounters a bit of slightly dodgy track- again bringing back memories of watching the real things lurch on some of the pointwork in the yards by Darlington Station.

Having now looked at my notes and pics the locos I saw on these duties included the real 68023, which was also the far end one of the dump of six at the shed when finally replaced by diesels.  Mine is now being recrested and will be weathered but will keep its number.

Les

Extra holes in bufferbeam?  Not an issue to me- cheaper than doing an extra version, and it seemed to catch out Railway Modeller's reviewer who added brakepipes then realised that in service they didn't have them (though 71515 does have them in preservation).

• RMweb Premium

Very impressed with my model. Smooth performance after 15 minutes running-in each way.

Having subsequently dismantled it to allow for easier painting, I'm very impressed with the exquisite small motor. Not the easiest of models to take apart - lots of delicate parts such as the reversing leaver, which is only joined to the footplate in one place, and not glued to the cab.

I'm only replacing the injectors, hand rail knobs and smokebox door dart. The injectors because I already have some rtmodels ones in stock, the handrails knobs because my chosen prototype has a different arrangement and the door dart because it looks too fine compared to my kit built locos...

I'll share photos once done modifying.

Paul A.

Your changing the smokebox dart because it looks too good? Well that's gotta be a first lol

• RMweb Gold

Picked up mine today from our L.P.O. 17Km round trip but hey well worth it very well packed(tell Rails how to do it!!), I haven't run it yet, however if it runs half as well as it looks I will be well satisfied. Brilliant model Dave thanks, well worth the wait.....Credit card woes seem a distant memory now!! It only took a week to get here which is unusual, anyway certainly not complaining.............now a Midland 0-4-4 tank perhaps? oops sorry wrong thread :jester:

Rgds and Thanks again.....Mike

Archived