Metropolitan Bo-Bo EP sample

Multiple identity account

As I assumed, Heljan are correct on the various liveries, after all so far all versions have been reasonably correct, I would never say perfect, as somebody will emerge from the woodwork and raise issues.

My only complaint is the flash of white light on the rear lights as it reverses, but it has been cured with some low value resistors in the lighting circuit, it really was quite a minor problem. Getting a further one next week, and expanding the test track to a small shelf layout.

Stephen

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can someone advise me as to what is included in the accessory pack that was included. Were there spare three link couplings aswel as nem couplings? Thanks

Don't remember any accessory pack. Pipes were fitted to both ends I think, as is usual for Heljan these days.

• 1 month later...

We are pleased to announce the imminent arrival of further versions of our 'Met Bo-Bo' model including the keenly awaited 'SARAH SIDDONS'!

The following models are due into stock next week;

9005 - METROPOLITAN No.19 (no names)

9006 - METROPOLITAN No.6 WILLIAM PENN

9007 - LONDON TRANSPORT No.11 GEORGE ROMNEY

9008 - 'Heritage' liveried METROPOLITAN No.12 SARAH SIDDONS (current condition)

9009 - 'Heritage' liveried LT/METROPOLITAN No.12 SARAH SIDDONS (1990's condition)

Please note that these models are based on 'one-off' production runs and are unlikely to be repeated - demand has been high (especially for the SARAH SIDDONS models) so we respectably ask that orders are placed soon to avoid disappointment.

All are fitted with 21-pin DCC interface and have a suggested SRP of £139.95

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Just unwrapped and dcc'd Sarah Siddons. Two questions occur for anyone who knows more about this sort of thing than me (probably everyone!):

1. Should it have tail lights? It doesn't seem to.

2. On the end of the pcb nearest the pins, there are two red wires that seem to just end in mid air! There doesn't seem to be anything that they should have connected to, and it seems to work fine, but seems a bit odd to fit the white plugs with wires that go nowhere- especially when so tightly fitted to a metal chassis. Is this normal?

Thanks for any ideas.

Rich

PS both nameplates visibly wonky, but pics of other Sarah's I've seen seem to be the same so maybe it's just a thing (I know the real ones are straight!)

There are no tail lights on these models.

I seem to recall that my 'Sherlock Holmes' also has the two wires going nowhere, although it is some time since I opened it up to fit the decoder.

On my example, the little PCBs over the cab were assembled upside down, so the cab lights were on with the lower two marker lights, and the top marker light came on if the cab light function was selected! It was very easy to flip the boards over and clip them back in.

• RMweb Gold

Bo Bo boo hoo - Well I succumbed to another one at Warley but it's got a gremlin discovered while trying to chip it!

On dc the lower lights only work one end and on DCC it only moves on speed step 2, not anything higher and the lights are flickering at one end yet constant at the other! I tried the chip and an alternative in one of the others and works fine so something is different.

Got an excellent response from Cheltenham Model Centre though so it's back in it's box and off to them freepost to sort :)

Edited by PaulRhB

• 1 month later...

Those old Hornby tinplate teaks look surprisingly at home behind the Bo-Bo

I took my Sherlock Holmes over to DougN's layout last year and ran it with his Hornby teak Gresley non-gangwayed stock, and it looked quite at home.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I took my Sherlock Holmes over to DougN's layout last year and ran it with his Hornby teak Gresley non-gangwayed stock, and it looked quite at home.

And that's as near(?) as you are likely to get to Met.stock in rtr :jester:  This is truly a fabulous model IMHO.

And that's as near(?) as you are likely to get to Met.stock in rtr :jester:  This is truly a fabulous model IMHO.

I agree, especially for the lovely teak finish, but the next best thing is a rake of the old Graham Farish (OO) generic non-gangwayed coaches I am using. Painted in LTs brown, they look reasonable behind #8, Sherlock Holmes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone looked into drop-in EM or P4 wheel sets for this loco? Could an existing set fit or are these odd sized wheels. Not being into D/E locos I'm not familiar with typical sizes. Also presumably gears would have to match....

If anyone is interested, here are a couple of photos of No. 8, Sherlock Holmes, on  a rake of five repainted Graham Farish coaches. All of these coaches have had only one coat of paint so far, and I have experimented with different shades of brown. The Brake ends are in a correct LT brown but look a bit dark to me, whereas the intermediate shade looks more like I think it should, especially once I can weather it.

These coaches are by no means accurate: in fact, they are distinctly 'generic'  and represent almost no real coach designs at all! However, they do seem to capture the general character of the Dreadnought coaches, at least at normal viewing distances. I have improved them all by fitting metal 14mm wheels.

27622822667_c3fc444836_b.jpg
LT Bo-Bo Sherlock Holmes with Farish Coaches - 2 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

28620714288_4a1b4e8edc_b.jpg
LT Bo-Bo Sherlock Holmes with Farish Coaches - 1 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1