Derailment between Charlton and Blackheath

Hi

A friend of mine works in a building that over looks the line and sent me some photo of this, on the day it happened.

She was at her desk when she heard a very load screeching and banging outside and looked out the window and saw the wagons had come off the track, lots of dust thrown up as well.

• RMweb Premium

Being off under the bridge will delay the recovery operation.  Cranes cannot be used.  Airbags might not be effective.  Other methods such as use or retailing plates are slower.  Then the track has to be made good and inspected.

Delays to services reported this morning on BBC London.

Southeastern unable to run Charlton - Blackheath and vice versa due to Wednesdays derailment.

Quite a few concrete sleepers are broken/gouged deeply and would need to be replaced, plus unknow damage to signalling and power cables under and directly next to the track in the immediate area.

I would expect that all should be back to normal over the weekend  ( they might even look at the 'Wet Bed' in the area too - ever hopeful Me! ).

Mike.

P.S.

Sounds like there's another DBS Aggregate train ( Peak Forest - Cresent Road Sdgs? ) off the road at Luton, Platform One, this morning ... slight delays apparently and a shunt for terminating FCC services - to Leagrave Jnc and back!  

Also a Freightliner Class 66 off the track today at Luton Crescent Road sidings (no picture).  The front bogie seemed to have come off at the points leading to road 1 and 2.  The wagons it was hauling were sitting in Limbury Road sidings later in the day.

Also a Freightliner Class 66 off the track today at Luton Crescent Road sidings (no picture).  The front bogie seemed to have come off at the points leading to road 1 and 2.  The wagons it was hauling were sitting in Limbury Road sidings later in the day.

This is one of our jobs at Rugby - commiserations to my colleague on that job this morning... the trackwork has always been rough in the yard at Crescent Road and shunting can be awkward at times due to the layout.

As it happens 6M79 is also one of our jobs!

Bit of an update on the Luton derailment - apparently it happened on the points leading from the Up Slow into the Up Loop that leads into the yard, 66 603's front bogie went one way and the rear bogie went the other way. 603 currently sits in the yard awaiting a move away by low loader.

Yes it's aggregates from Bardon Hill Quarry.

Correction due on the Luton incident - it occured at the first set of handpoints in the loop, not the powered points from the Up Slow. Had a word with the driver this morning and it transpires that a the Method Of Working arrangements may need looking into.

• RMweb Gold

Being off under the bridge will delay the recovery operation.  Cranes cannot be used.  Airbags might not be effective.  Other methods such as use or retailing plates are slower.  Then the track has to be made good and inspected.

Looks like an easy one to me Rick.  As BBLine says it would be an easy jacking job provided the track is ok and with MFD gear or equivalent rerailing would be very simple as the wagons were presumably empty so aren't a difficult lift; the hardest part is making sure both axles of the bogie are kept in line when you drop it back on the rails.

As with many simple derailments such as this the last thing you'd call out would be a crane - slow, extra possessions needed, making sure it arrives the right way round, and mind numbingly expensive.  Modern jacking kit is simple to get in place and is by far the best and quickest way of doing a simple vertical lift and traverse according to my various T shirts ;)  Indeed even the old fashioned hand worked traverse jacks and packing were pretty quick although they didn't have the lift capacity of the hydraulic kit.

Here are some views of a much heavier lift rerailing job in South Wales back in 1973

post-6859-0-02791500-1397043296_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-04709700-1397043334_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-93278300-1397043425_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks like an easy one to me Rick.  As BBLine says it would be an easy jacking job provided the track is ok and with MFD gear or equivalent rerailing would be very simple as the wagons were presumably empty so aren't a difficult lift; the hardest part is making sure both axles of the bogie are kept in line when you drop it back on the rails.

As with many simple derailments such as this the last thing you'd call out would be a crane - slow, extra possessions needed, making sure it arrives the right way round, and mind numbingly expensive.  Modern jacking kit is simple to get in place and is by far the best and quickest way of doing a simple vertical lift and traverse according to my various T shirts ;)  Indeed even the old fashioned hand worked traverse jacks and packing were pretty quick although they didn't have the lift capacity of the hydraulic kit.

Here are some views of a much heavier lift rerailing job in South Wales back in 1973

attachicon.gifimg146.jpg

attachicon.gifimg143.jpg

attachicon.gifimg140adj.jpg

Superb Sturgeon of the period shots, thanks Mike.

Mike.

Archived