The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

Ramsey Island, my playground.

The diving in the sound is excellent. Great fun on the Bitches as well.

You used to be able to get some nice fish and chips out on the South Bishops Light but the keepers are long since gone now.

• Like 1

Viking raiding party gets first sight of Dun Fhoithear (Dunnottar) through the mist in AD 900?

No, A foot weary Dutch archaeologist and party catch their first glimpse of Dunnotar Castle some eleven centuries later. Alas, repeated attempts to storm the gate met with little success. Disheartened, the Dutch party retreated to Stonehaven, where they received a very warm welcome in the Ship Inn. All's well that ends well!

post-13158-0-93957100-1412870605_thumb.jpg

(The castle was closed for a special occasion...)

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

No, A foot weary Dutch archaeologist and party catch their first glimpse of Dunnotar Castle some eleven centuries later. Alas, repeated attempts to storm the gate met with little success. Disheartened, the Dutch party retreated to Stonehaven, where they received a very warm welcome in the Ship Inn. All's well that ends well!

attachicon.gifstonehaven.jpg

(The castle was closed for a special occasion...)

Ah the ship Inn,  spent a couple of days during opening hours in there, the yacht I was crewing was hiding in the harbour from a force ten, there was a SeaKing Helicopter (military) tied down on the hill near where the photo was taken at the time. yes we knew we were in Britain at the time, second storm in a weeks sailing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Three from North Yorkshire:

Whitby Abbey and St.Mary's Church seen from Captain Cook's viewpoint (well actually from near his statue).

post-9751-0-99095200-1413995380_thumb.jpg

Helmsley Castle.

post-9751-0-37953300-1413995486_thumb.jpg

Rievaulx Abbey catching the last of the day's sun.

post-9751-0-73165000-1413995541_thumb.jpg

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 11

Rievaulx Abbey catching the last of the day's sun.

attachicon.gifRievaulx Abbey.jpg

Great views, and I especially like the last one. Abbeys are among my favorite places to visit. But even more than abbeys, I like to visit out of the way country churches. Often simple, without any pretence,  but in many cases with a history that goes back hundreds of years. A history that you can feel  when you enter. Like the church of St. Gwynhoydl’s at Llangwnnadl, Lleyn Peninsula, originally built c. 14th century on the pilgrim's route to Bardsey island

post-13158-0-55570100-1414264004_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Chepstow Woods near Devauden about 10 years ago. What a place to walk a dog.

post-7024-0-49508500-1414613864_thumb.jpg

Again above Devauden, this time on Creigau looking across to The Blorenge (yes, there is a word that rhymes with orange) which is above Abergavenny .

post-7024-0-77978800-1414614256_thumb.jpg

Edited to spel Creigau correctly. You can relax, Blorenge still rhymes with orange.

Edited by 96701
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Whilst looking at the photos that I took around Devauden (the most beautiful place that I've ever lived), here's a view taken 180 degrees from the Blorenge view above, but also taken a little later in the year. We are looking towards Chepstow and the end of the Wye Valley. I was standing in this same spot in spring and could see the top of a hot air balloon. An exceptionally stunning place to be.

post-7024-0-09884300-1414619228_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

My first pic on post # 159 was taken at the foot of the 'Blorenge' at Llanfoist Wharf.

We viewed the lock keepers house at Llanfoist Wharf. We decided against it because the house came with 13 acres of forest and we wouldn't have known what to do with it. From an historical point of view however, it would have been lovely to live in a house that managed the flow of iron ore from the mountain out to the rest of the world via the canal.

Three views of Afon Conwy:

post-9751-0-29946600-1414768021_thumb.jpg

Afon Conwy looking upriver from Gorse Hill late on a summer evening.

post-9751-0-67193500-1414768093_thumb.jpg

Afon Conwy and Conwy Castle and town, photo taken on a rather duller day.

post-9751-0-37255100-1414768138_thumb.jpg

Flowing into the sea, as seen from the Great Orme

• Like 11