The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• RMweb Premium

To follow up on my previous post.

This Site  http://www.norfolkeventsphotography.co.uk/galleries/three-rivers-race-2016/index.php?keyWord=&kid=&page=21

has hundreds of Pictures of The 3 Rivers Race 2016, just onto page two you'll see the small Hole in the wall of Potter Heigham  Bridge, the competitors nightmare.

What the photos don't show, is the long night with the mist settling, so everything is dripping wet and cold!!!

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

Looking West across Kimmeridge Bay, you can make out the South West Coastal Path in the far distance - the white line along the cliff tops, especially up the headland between Lulworth Cove, and Durdle Dor.

post-7336-0-09595100-1465376948.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

This was our day at Erwood on the River Wye yesterday - in the company of kingfishers, salmon, trout and various wildlife including

post-7138-0-40020900-1465584451.jpg

This Large Brook Dun spinner that seemed to think I was an attractive mate and

post-7138-0-42538400-1465584567_thumb.jpg

This 3ft sea lamprey - waiting for a mate before building a substantial crater nest (redd) in the river

My good pal Dave Nuttall was passing and recorded the day...

post-7138-0-81732400-1465584682_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-14953900-1465584680_thumb.jpg

There had obviously been some nefarious goings on too - James found this Spudulator...

post-7138-0-80660200-1465584771_thumb.jpg

A day spent on the river fishing like this is a day added to lifes span, not deducted

Phil

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

This was our day at Erwood on the River Wye yesterday

Hi Phil,

It's at Erwood that you can drive along the Mid Wales Railway trackbed and over this original MWR bridge:

https://goo.gl/maps/fgmnwNxj6qM2

Restoration at Erwood: https://www.railscot.co.uk/locationnew.php?loc=Erwood

Martin.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martin

Yes indeed - Was only discussing that with Jimbo yesterday

if you cross the river at Llanstephan on the rickety suspension bridge and take the left turn towards Erwood pretty soon you start wondering why the road is so straight and level and has bridges in keeping with railway...

Can just see and hear an Ivatt Class 2 with a couple of coaches echoing up the valley...

The part of that line that I have never sussed is further up at Marteg where the formation leaves the Wye valley and heads up the Marteg en route to the summit and drop down to Llanidloes

How on earth did the railway thread through the tight gorge there?

And is this derelict line on the Welsh Assembly plan to create a north - south rail link that doesn't cross in to England?

Kind regards

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
It's at Erwood that you can drive along the Mid Wales Railway trackbed and over this original MWR bridge:

Here are some 1980s views of that bridge showing that it's a tall structure. Strengthened at some stage by having the original ironwork encased in brick. The original columns were on a stone base, and the wing walls in the background are stone. The result is a very odd looking structure.

Does that strengthening date from the time of road conversion, or earlier times in railway use? Anyone?

post-1103-0-98431600-1465599720.jpg

post-1103-0-40499300-1465600230.jpg

Bringing us back on topic, I remember struggling through thick brambles on a rainy day to get these pictures. smile.gif

Martin.

• Like 4

days like today make things all worth while after a good hours hike up the side of indians head got to take this pic of the beautifull samantha looking down on the dovestones resevoir 

samcliffs_-132e.jpg

Is this a rare sighting of the beautiful, ethereal, Samantha of 'I'm sorry I haven't a Clue' ........ 

• Like 2

Is this a rare sighting of the beautiful, ethereal, Samantha of 'I'm sorry I haven't a Clue' ........ 

While she may well have been ethereal, shurely the 'I haven't a Clue' Samantha was "lovely"

Item 2

post-21705-0-31781900-1465637103_thumb.jpg

"one day the whole of Italy will look like this"

the words of Garibaldi standing in front of Joseph Cowen's summerhouse on Summerhill above Blaydon Burn in the 1840s looking out over the Tyne and the industries of Blaydon Haughs and the site of the Blaydon Races.

Garibaldi stayed with Cowen a number of times and a statue of G was erected by Cowens' workers in front of the now ruinous summerhouse. Only the larger than lifesize head (with hat) from the statue survives in Blaydon library.

Garibaldi's Redshirts' campaign was financed by Cowens with gold bullion hidden in cargoes of Cowens' bricks dispatched to various southern Italian ports.

dh

While she may well have been ethereal, shurely the 'I haven't a Clue' Samantha was "lovely"

Yes, your right.

Damn, that's another person who's corrected me today, apart from those in my own home....

I must be loosing it, it?

• RMweb Premium

The 505 finished 41st in 12:32:56 or 12:10:20 after its handicap of 3% off of finishing time.

Luckily the Norfolk Broads speed limits of 4 to 6 mph do not apply to sailing boats

The fastest boats were the Thames A Raters with 27% added their finishing time.

The slowest boats had a handicap of 25% off of their finishing time.

Well that's enough of why I live in the UK until regatta week 30th July to 5th August.

• RMweb Gold

I've been posting OS grid references with my pictures.

For anyone wondering what to do with them, go to: https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/

Copy and paste the grid reference into the search box top left.

Then zoom in as far as it will go. You will eventually get some very detailed OS mapping, somewhat spoiled by the ugly sausage-style road overlay.

If you subscribe to that site you can get the Explorer 25K mapping, but it won't zoom in as far as the above.

For the Landranger 50K mapping there is no need to pay a subscription, it is available full-screen free at: http://www.fonant.com/osmap.html

Martin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

After 3 days of rain, the sun reappeared last evening.

post-1103-0-65858100-1466208857_thumb.jpg

click image for better quality

camera at OS grid ref: SO 81337 69928

post-1103-0-55576800-1466208864_thumb.jpg

click image for better quality

camera at OS grid ref: SO 80901 69431

From the 1940s to the late 1960s this whole area at Larford, Worcestershire was a sand quarry. The original land levels were much higher than they are now. Here's a view from the same camera position as above taken in 1968 as quarrying was coming to an end. In those days there were 10 pine trees in the stand on the hill top, now just the one is left. The others were mostly lost to lightning strikes over the years, the lowering of the surrounding land making them more exposed.

post-1103-0-62288800-1466209030.jpg

Just to right of this view an archeological dig in the 1950s found quantities of Roman and Iron Age remains. See: http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/5179/the_severn_north_of_worcesterpdf

And looking the other way from the same position:

post-1103-0-94058100-1466209032.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality of these.

Martin.

• Like 9

This morning a military vehicle preservation group organised a 40 vehicle convoy to run via forestry tracks from Moreton in Dorset, across the ford, to Bovington to coincide with Bovey's Historic Military Vehicle Weekend, and to tie in with the Dorchester Carnival Parade. The convoy included tanks,transporters, jeeps,and a selection of trucks, and motorcycles. Later, when the mud had settled our pups made use of the ford to cool down after their walk.

post-7336-0-32015800-1466270565.jpg

post-7336-0-40936400-1466270795.jpg

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Nice pictures of Larford Martin ...always feels like home with the Malverns in the background

There were plenty of sand quarries in this area IIRC - another was by the site of the engine shed in Kidderminster, sand was of such good quality it was sent to Swindon for making foundry moulds

Kind regards

Phil

• Like 1