The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

On the BBC4 programme last night 'The British Garden: Life and Death on your Lawn' Chris Packham mentioned that the British spend more per head on feeding birds than anywhere else in the world. For some reason that made me feel incredibly proud to be British !

• Like 4

We were in Hastings the day of that Crazy Golf World Champs - we quite often paly a few rounds there. There were lots of strange blokes there, some even had special golf balls for different types of crazy golf hole. As Mrs Lurker put it: they make train spotters seem normal

Wait, hang on: there's a Crazy Golf World Championship ???!???

When we have a week off me and Mrs Rivercider have taken short breaks in Devon or Cornwall, we always try to get in some walking along the coast which is marvelous.

Sometimes I just go off for the day on my own, last week to the Teign Valley, by bus to Teign House Inn near Christow Station, I then walked up to Bridford for a pub lunch then down to Dunsford to a tea garden, and bus home.

post-7081-0-12572500-1500035632_thumb.jpg

Climbing up Pound Lane to Bridford, the line of trees top right are along an embankment that once carried a narrow gauge tramway from one of the many quarries hereabouts, 5/7/2017

post-7081-0-09879100-1500035708_thumb.jpg

A small ford at Woodlands, the stream feeds into the Teign further down the valley 5/7/2017,

cheers

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

A ripening field of wheat in the shadow of the currently silent Eggborough Power Station - 18th July 2017.

post-414-0-49673600-1500466991.jpg

• Like 7

Lincolnshire - the only place I know with a tank farm and a wind farm, in the same field

post-10066-0-21974100-1500809256_thumb.jpg

Day out in the Peaks, Buxton speedway. Gave the red monster an airing.. even I wouldn't claim that speedway tracks were things of beauty, on the whole, but I'll forgive this one in such a setting

post-10066-0-03384200-1500809350_thumb.jpgpost-10066-0-64965900-1500809448_thumb.jpg

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I drove from Derby to Peterborough yesterday, along one of those back-roads routes which seem to appeal to satnavs, by way of Melton Mowbray and emerging on the A1 near the Ram Jam Inn. Very enjoyable. Didn't have time to stop for a pint and a pie..

Don't stop at the Ram Jam, it has been closed for some years now.

Best Melton Mowbray Pork Pies (IMHO) are from Leesons in Oakham.

Regards

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Working in Birmingham during the week at present, which CERTAINLY doesn't qualify in any shape or form... drove across to Stourbridge area yesterday, to a music group which meets in a "Community Room" above the Fire Station. Stopped along the way for a bag of chips, quick pint on the way back. Spirits much revived and I know I'm home now!

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Britain can indeed be seen as an island when seen from the sea.

A grey day in Mounts Bay

post-6859-0-77002800-1502185222_thumb.jpg

Plymouth - a different view of the Hoe

post-6859-0-78161600-1502185409_thumb.jpg

Mevagissey

post-6859-0-97670300-1502185553_thumb.jpg

The Eddystone Rock on which the lighthouse stands is definitely part of the British Isles ;)

post-6859-0-26040400-1502185707_thumb.jpg

Mouth of the River Dart with Dartmouth and the Britannia Naval College lying beyond

post-6859-0-63737700-1502185859_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

This is where I 'work', Flatford hamlet on the Suffolk/Essex border, a National Trust site, where I volunteer. It is in the Dedham Vale AONB and also known as John Constable country. The first photo is from the opposite side (Essex) of the River Stour looking at Bridge Cottage, a thatched mill workers tied cottage. The other photo is Flatford Mill and mill pond, once owned by the Constable family. The site is so peaceful, even with visitors and when I'm there all concerns disappear as I'm enveloped in the beauty of the area. It is a quintisential English country village scene. 

post-13514-0-07886300-1502188230_thumb.jpg

post-13514-0-38401000-1502188245_thumb.jpg

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

This is where I 'work', Flatford hamlet on the Suffolk/Essex border, a National Trust site, where I volunteer. It is in the Dedham Vale AONB and also known as John Constable country. The first photo is from the opposite side (Essex) of the River Stour looking at Bridge Cottage, a thatched mill workers tied cottage. The other photo is Flatford Mill and mill pond, once owned by the Constable family. The site is so peaceful, even with visitors and when I'm there all concerns disappear as I'm enveloped in the beauty of the area. It is a quintisential English country village scene. 

Beautiful pictures, the boat looks like a Frolic which are made amazingly well away from water, in Norfolk . http://creative-marine.co.uk/boats/frolic-21/frolic-21-launch.html

• Like 1

Beautiful pictures, the boat looks like a Frolic which are made amazingly well away from water, in Norfolk . http://creative-marine.co.uk/boats/frolic-21/frolic-21-launch.html

Hi

The launch is a battery/electric type, operated by the River Stour Trust, sorry don't know the make. They bring it to Flatford on some weekends and bank holidays in the Spring/Summer season and operate short trips. The Stour Trust is a charity whose aim is to restore navigation to the upper stretches of the River Stour, so that pleasure boats can operate from Sudbury to Shotley peninsular, which was the original extent of the 1700s legislation making the River Stour navigable for commercial traffic. At present parts of the upper section can only be used by canoes and kayaks. The Trust has restored/is restoring locks on the Stour and previously restored the lock at Flatford Mill, which was in place to supply the mill pond. They also worked with the National Trust to excavate the dry dock at Flatford about 20 years ago, which was found when the NT were building a new tea room. The dry dock was the place where most of the Stour commercial barges/lighters were built and repaired. 

Interestingly the barges operated until mid First World War (1916) when the Admiralty ordered them to be scuttled for fear of their use by any German invasion force coming across the North Sea, with Harwich at the mouth of the River, being a major naval port and Felixstowe across the estuary, a RNAS flying boat station. The Stour Trust has rebuilt one of the barges, with battery/electric propulsion and named it The John Constable. It is used for river trips around Sudbury. Sorry to ramble, you've got me into guide mode.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The frolic is made in a variety of lengths from 18ft to 36ft and most commonly these days electric. Although a steam version was once available for hire near my sailing club.

My motor boat is electric, it's a much more peacefully way of exploring the broads, although I do have a diesel generator in a quiet pack. if the batteries run out before I can get to a charging point.

I could easily go on about the broads and Norfolk Wherries, But the others on this forum might get annoyed at East Anglia takiing over the thread...

PS Wherry  is a good pint as well,

post-15969-0-45092500-1502200309.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

There is a couple of second hand boats listed, one an electric powered Frolic 21 and the other a steam powered Mayfly 16 complete with trailer. The first is priced at £18,000 and the second at £18,750. Now where did I put that lottery ticket?