The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• RMweb Gold

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Go on, I'll chuck one in.

My guess is that you are coming down The Burway into Church Stretton? Here's the Google view:

https://goo.gl/maps/iKkUU3ExseLHdYo16

But finding the exact location is tricky.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2019 at 19:32, martin_wynne said:

Broken chain.

broken_chain_1392x1044.jpg
camera at SO 43054 83588 looking E

Martin.

Please, an explanation of the broken chain for someone three thousand miles to the west. Is it something with the north gate? TIA

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Does that make it my turn?

Here's another view in the same county.

random_1400x700.jpg.aa6b228da6d962478d913f5633b3d89c.jpg

Martin.

The vale in the background suggests somewhere around Clee Hill, along the A4117, so I'll put that forward as my guess.

PS Really enjoying this, let's keep it up!

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Please, an explanation of the broken chain for someone three thousand miles to the west. Is it something with the north gate? TIA

smile.gif

The young man is pushing his bike because the chain is broken. It went bang just as he cycled past me. He wasn't best pleased.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

The vale in the background suggests somewhere around Clee Hill, along the A4117, so I'll put that forward as my guess.

PS Really enjoying this, let's keep it up!

Yes, well done. It's at Cornbrook Corner. Here's the Google view:

https://goo.gl/maps/eep2gRPdDTL4UQY37

There was a clue in the file name -- the area across to the left is called Random -- see Random Farm and Random Cottage:

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/52.39206,-2.58154,16

Here's another view of Cornbrook Corner:

random_1400x1050.jpg.670fcbb409d41c7d064802205ff26a6c.jpg

Martin.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

smile.gif

The young man is pushing his bike because the chain is broken. It went bang just as he cycled past me. He wasn't best pleased.

cheers,

Martin.

Thank you, I thought that it had something to do with the crossing gates, they are quite different from the ones used here.

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 23/06/2019 at 23:14, SVRlad said:

I'll let someone else post the next one, as I feel I should let others have a chance before I post another photo. 

No one else has bitten so I'll chuck another in.

2.jpg

• Like 6

• Moderators
1 minute ago, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

Magpie mine near Bakewell?

Well done, I knew people would think Cornish engines firstly.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Please can I insert a small digression, but I am still smiling about this. Sorry no picture but this will become clear.

We were in Norfolk this weekend. We saw “Godwick Deserted Village” on the map. Well, this might be interesting so we sought Godwick for some time. Its location is remote, even by the standards of rural Norfolk. Eventually we found a tall ruin in a field.

We struggled over a broken stile and found an information board. Godwick was a medieval village where they collected clay from the ground. The village had a church built of stone, but the records of the late 1500’s show this to be without a tower. Also a manor house, its site fenced off from public access. The village diminished for years, finally abandoned in (probably) the 1600s.

After the church fell down, someone built a church tower as a folly. In 1981, half of the tower fell down.

So what there is of Godwick today is half a folly, and some rounded earthworks which English Heritage explain as “streets” through something they call an “interpretive illustration”.

Godwick is not a deserted village. It is the site of a lost settlement and nothing more. But we were glad to be in the British isles :)

- Richard.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Yes it looks like they can be pretty nondescript - but next time I can do my homework before setting out. I think the main thing is, we have them.

- Richard.