Scratchbuilding a MSJ&AR 3 car EMU

Stunning mon...

The efforts one has gone to with this whole project are amazing. :sungum:

Can't give up now and throw it all away - 'too far down the line' :locomotive: 

Got to strive to do better and faster now it's over 50% built, but with another 90% (track, electrics and detailing) to go  :scratchhead:

Ron

Your roofing solution has given me an idea how to approach making roofs for my Oerlikon EMU after a number of failed attempts!

XF

Hi, Nigel

I had thought originally of using a styrene skin, but the possibility of needing to maybe create multiple curves, and the warping of the unsupported styrene put me off

The building up of a base of styrene strips, and carving the curves to shape - testing with a couple of styrene templates, whilst slow does give a better overall and controllable finish. The ultimate test of this method will the stepped roof of the motor drive unit

Cheers

Ron

• 6 months later...

Any updates on this project Ron?

Nigel

It's on the backburner - finding the time is very difficult at the moment - painting the outside of the villa, re-decorating one of the bedrooms, and upgrading the electric installation in my daughter's apartment

Modelling is really grindingly slow - may see some improvement by the end of next month

Ron

Ron, I may be stating the obvious but are you aware that two centre cars still exist at the Midland Railway Centre?  Really enjoying your thread. Ray.

Yes, I understand they are undergoing refurbishment - Pity that a motor driving unit wasn't saved as well

Possibly one of the best books on the MSJ&A is a Foxline publication,"Altrincham toManchester before Metrolink".I think it`s out of print at the moment but Booklaw are reprinting the series slowly so it may be available in the future.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that a power car was going to be preserved but was so riddled with Asbestos that the deceison was made to scrap it.Perhaps someone has more information.

Ray.

It's on the backburner - finding the time is very difficult at the moment - painting the outside of the villa, re-decorating one of the bedrooms, and upgrading the electric installation in my daughter's apartment

Modelling is really grindingly slow - may see some improvement by the end of next month

Ron

Is the electric installation 1500V DC by any chance ?LOL

BR

Nigel

Is the electric installation 1500V DC by any chance ?LOL

BR

Nigel

Only the domestic 230v AC - upgrading from 25A (domestic consumer standard) supply to 40A (although the supply from the meter is 100A), and splitting the single 16A circuit, into three separate 16A circuits (Ring circuits not allowed in Spain)

Ron

Archived