Scratchbuilding a MSJ&AR 3 car EMU

Painting has been put on hold until Monday Afternoon/Evening - need to get more supplies including masking tape, etc.

In the meantime, decided to cut the sides for the Motor Brake Third carriage -

post-10633-0-20860000-1399219392_thumb.jpg

This will be one of the cars with louvres on the body sides - just for the challenge  :O

post-10633-0-20771200-1399219934_thumb.jpg

Close-up of one of the six sets of louvres - each of the 16 louvres 20 thou x 40 thou x 7.2mm sanded with a rounded top and ends - a little more fetteling required

A cheat (courtesy of  Terry Tew of Earls Court fame) for the louvers that works, but is not quite as good, is cutting up sheets of plastic "corrugated iron" I have used this  method when building London area LMS 3 Car EMU's which are basically a DC 3rd rail version of the M&SJR EMU's

XF

Not a lot to show at the moment - busy cutting and shaping all the remaining strips (80) for the louvres

Then the over door vents require fitting

The droplight masks are cut ready for when the glazing is carried out after painting the sides

The roof for the Trailer Coach still needs shaping - this will be the next job. Then need to look at the Motor Coach roof especially where there is a dropped level for the pantograph

Ron

Not a lot to show at the moment - busy cutting and shaping all the remaining strips (80) for the louvres

Then the over door vents require fitting

The droplight masks are cut ready for when the glazing is carried out after painting the sides

The roof for the Trailer Coach still needs shaping - this will be the next job. Then need to look at the Motor Coach roof especially where there is a dropped level for the pantograph

Ron

Hi Ron,

I can appreciate that sometimes there is no photo to show all the repetitive tasks that have to be done on a job like this. The louvres alone must account for a good day's work to complete all the panels. At least your glazing method will save some time which can be devoted to other things. I do not envy you the task of making the motor coach roofs. With the step down at the pantograph end, it is going to be interesting to see what you come up with as a solution. As the sides are to be firmly attached to the chassis, will your roofs be detachable?

All the best,

Colin

Hi Ron,

I can appreciate that sometimes there is no photo to show all the repetitive tasks that have to be done on a job like this. The louvres alone must account for a good day's work to complete all the panels. At least your glazing method will save some time which can be devoted to other things. I do not envy you the task of making the motor coach roofs. With the step down at the pantograph end, it is going to be interesting to see what you come up with as a solution. As the sides are to be firmly attached to the chassis, will your roofs be detachable?

All the best,

Colin

Hi, Colin

The roofs will be detachable in the first instance. If they remain free from warping then that's how they will stay, otherwise ......

Cheers

Ron

Motor Coach progress -

post-10633-0-25070500-1399553858_thumb.jpg

Most of the body components laid out, and in various stages of assembly

post-10633-0-99855800-1399553890_thumb.jpg

Vents assembled and fixed

post-10633-0-90160400-1399553919_thumb.jpg

Body ends and compartment dividers fixed on basic floor plate - The pile of louvre strips off camera await fixing

The first set of three louvre banks fixed - just a little cleaning up needed on the left hand side -

post-10633-0-89217900-1399580687_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-80245000-1399580707_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-51899800-1399580738_thumb.jpg

- needs hinges on the RHS of each of the three banks and rivets all round - vertical rows of approx 26 per row, 2 rows per bank and 1 row between each bank, and 9 per bank horizontally, top & bottom - out with the Archers (3D transfers not the liqueur)

Hi, Colin

The roofs will be detachable in the first instance. If they remain free from warping then that's how they will stay, otherwise ......

Cheers

Ron

Ron

I've done a small amount of work forming curved roof sections in plastic sheet, and I initially had all kinds of trouble with warping.  I solved this by roughly rolling to shape a piece of thin aluminium sheet to fit inside the roof, then coating both the plastic and aluminium with Araldite (I prefer the traditional 24-hour variety) before assembly.  I'm sure you'll appreciate the technical reasons for laminated sections exhibiting better rigidity characteristics than either (or any) of the different materials used.  Worth a try if it means you can avoid sealing up each vehicle and thereby retain access to the interiors for future upgrading.

Also on the subject of curved roofs, but nothing to do with their rigidity...

Did these vehicles have sheet steel roofs, or were they the traditional canvas-over-planking construction?  If the latter, I had some success using planked plastic sheet (Evergreen is best for this) (the choice of plank width is limited), covering the assembled roof with tissue fixed with dope, as used by aeromodellers.  In fact, roof planks were not chamfered at the edges in the same way as (eg) wagon and van bodies, so the groove between adjacent planks, present in commercial plastic planks, shouldn't be there.  You do see the groove through the tissue if it's been stretched over the roof, sealed at the edges, then wetted to cause it to shrink and tighten before coating the whole roof with dope.  (This is the technique recommended by the aeromodelling community, however they have good reasons for wanting the tissue to form a tight skin over a wing profile, for example.  Maybe it doesn't need to be shrink-fitted on coach roofs.)  You might be able to further refine this technique using your Cameo, half-cutting through a plain sheet of plastic to form sharper joint lines, ie without any visible grooves.  This also gives you total control over the plank width, of course.

Andy

Did these vehicles have sheet steel roofs, or were they the traditional canvas-over-planking construction?  If the latter, I had some success using planked plastic sheet (Evergreen is best for this) (the choice of plank width is limited), covering the assembled roof with tissue fixed with dope, as used by aeromodellers.  In fact, roof planks were not chamfered at the edges in the same way as (eg) wagon and van bodies, so the groove between adjacent planks, present in commercial plastic planks, shouldn't be there.  You do see the groove through the tissue if it's been stretched over the roof, sealed at the edges, then wetted to cause it to shrink and tighten before coating the whole roof with dope.  You might be able to further refine this technique using your Cameo, half-cutting through a plain sheet of plastic to form the joint lines.  This also gives you total control over the plank width, of course.

Andy

I would not think it is a good idea doing this. I am sure the coach builders wanted the roof planks a tight as posible to stop the canvas cover wearing on the joints. The chamfers on wagons etc are to stop the joints getting too wet, not to look pretty.

Ron

I've done a small amount of work forming curved roof sections in plastic sheet, and I initially had all kinds of trouble with warping.  I solved this by roughly rolling to shape a piece of thin aluminium sheet to fit inside the roof, then coating both the plastic and aluminium with Araldite (I prefer the traditional 24-hour variety) before assembly.  I'm sure you'll appreciate the technical reasons for laminated sections exhibiting better rigidity characteristics than either (or any) of the different materials used.  Worth a try if it means you can avoid sealing up each vehicle and thereby retain access to the interiors for future upgrading.

Did these vehicles have sheet steel roofs, or were they the traditional canvas-over-planking construction?  If the latter, I had some success using planked plastic sheet (Evergreen is best for this) (the choice of plank width is limited), covering the assembled roof with tissue fixed with dope, as used by aeromodellers.  In fact, roof planks were not chamfered at the edges in the same way as (eg) wagon and van bodies, so the groove between adjacent planks, present in commercial plastic planks, shouldn't be there.  You do see the groove through the tissue if it's been stretched over the roof, sealed at the edges, then wetted to cause it to shrink and tighten before coating the whole roof with dope.  (This is the technique recommended by the aeromodelling community, however they have good reasons for wanting the tissue to form a tight skin over a wing profile, for example.  Maybe it doesn't need to be shrink-fitted on coach roofs.)  You might be able to further refine this technique using your Cameo, half-cutting through a plain sheet of plastic to form sharper joint lines, ie without any visible grooves.  This also gives you total control over the plank width, of course.

Andy

Hi, Andy

The trial roof is made from 4 full width laminations (3 x 40 thou + 1 x 20 thou) and 2 narrow laminations (40 thou) at both roof eaves. It has been partly shaped by scraping and sanding. The next step is to use a former to check the shape conforms along the whole roof. So far after two weeks it is still flat without any signs of warping. but it is possible to glue a aluminium or steel strip under the crown of the roof

With regard to the roof on the prototype - the roof sheeting was thin steel panels approx 2' wide. The timber roof formers at 2' centres with angle strips fixed either side to which the steel panels were rivetted. An additional steel former was fixed midway between the timber formers as a support and fixing location. The Steel panel was also rivetted to this former. It would appear that the steel panels were butt jointed. The whole roof being covered in canvas - the width of the canvas and the joints cannot be determined from any of the pictures I have

A picture of the wet pattern which shows the form of the underlying roof panelling -

post-10633-0-79462900-1399628781.jpg

A view of the roof structure -

post-10633-0-76473700-1399628581.jpg

Will continue with the trial roof and see what develops - can always change course if it doesn't work out as expected

Cheers

Ron 

Scraped and sanded the roof of the Trailer Coach to shape -

post-10633-0-70252400-1399659236_thumb.jpg

Covered with a paper surface

post-10633-0-75229200-1399659205_thumb.jpg

Trimmed the coach compartment dividers to accept the roof

Rainstripping, torpedo ventilators, gutter stripping, downpipes, grab handles all need fitting - ... and painting

A small update to the Motor Brake Third -

post-10633-0-66658600-1399747416_thumb.jpg

One of the inner body layers fixed

post-10633-0-89798100-1399747397_thumb.jpg

First set of rivetting added - additional rivets to be placed midway between all these - to appease all those rivet counters ?  :no:

... and the Trailer Coach -

post-10633-0-34102200-1399747439_thumb.jpg

Rainstripping added to the roof

These coaches look good. You certainly build quicker than I do.  The louvres really look the part something that is not easy to with them.

Hi, Peter

Thanks - Maybe I have more time to model. Certainly speed is not important

The louvres are a challenge in styrene - metal would be a better medium

Ron

Those look like the Archers rivet strips Ron?

Not that you need advice, but I always find them to be reluctant to stick, so I'd get a coat of primer over them asap.

Cracking work so far. It's looking really good.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi, Sean

Yes, they are Archers, .... and they don't adhere at all. Hoping I can place the additional rivets over the top, and then apply the paint. Although I may give them a quick blow over first, and then place the additional rivets over this very light coat

Cheers

Ron

Archers transfers don't adhere to unpainted styrene very well, though to be fair they do say that in the instructions. When I've used them this way I've run a very thinned coat of clear gloss varnish round them to help seal them down. To take away any edge to the varnish you need to wash away the excess with white spirit before it sets.

Ron

A super bit of modelling yet again and I am certain you have covered this but what solvents do you use please.

The reason I am asking is that on thinner strip/sheet some of the more aggressive types tend to distort/melt them.

Ron

A super bit of modelling yet again and I am certain you have covered this but what solvents do you use please.

The reason I am asking is that on thinner strip/sheet some of the more aggressive types tend to distort/melt them.

Hi, John

On this build it's only MEK with a very small brush - it dries quick and makes a clean joint but won't take any stress or strain as the 'weld' isn't very deep. From a general handling viewpoint any solvent can be a problem especially with very small detail as the item can stick to the tweezers if you're not quick or have too much solvent on the brush

So far distortion is reserved to the outer body sides which have a slightly outward bow (1mm each end) along their length due to all the added detail on the outer face being fixed with solvent and all the glazing being fixed with CA on the inner face. This should be corrected when these sides are fixed to the inner body sides/body assembly

Ron

PS. Bridge builds requires a different approach as the structure requires strength so good wleded joints are necessary - plasticweld is used for these tasks 

A quick spray over the rivet transfers, and placed the second level of transfers over the right hand column -

post-10633-0-24741000-1399799499_thumb.jpg

Compare right hand column of rivets with left hand column

post-10633-0-70172500-1399799531_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-62445300-1399799563_thumb.jpg

Despite the slight wobble, appear to have come out ok - did have to use a drop of MEK over the top level of transfers to seal them

Archived