Scratchbuilding a MSJ&AR 3 car EMU

I've got a Cameo, but haven't really used it for anything other than cutting pre-designed shapes for cards and other crafts. Bought mine from Create and Craft.

Big advantages are that you pay a discounted price if you're a member (and it's cheaper to join for a year just to get your club price) and you can spread the cost over four interest-free payments. Link here: http://www.createandcraft.tv/silhouette.aspx

Hope this helps.

Phil

When you get up that far we can supply a kit for the pantograph.

Judith and Michael Edge

Hi, Michael

I was only looking at your pantograph kits last night. Definitely need to order one or two to ensure authenticity to the build

Will contact you in the next day or so

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

The coach is looking very good. I am intrigued as to how you intend to fix the 'sides proper' (as David Jenkinson would call them) to the carcass. Are you gong to pre-paint the sides and are there some outer ends to fix on?

All the best,

Colin

Hi Ron,

The coach is looking very good. I am intrigued as to how you intend to fix the 'sides proper' (as David Jenkinson would call them) to the carcass. Are you gong to pre-paint the sides and are there some outer ends to fix on?

All the best,

Colin

Hi, Colin

The intention is to paint the interior and the outer surface of the window area of the inner layer first. The outer layer with all the necessary detail will be painted before fixing to the body. The ends are already on the body but require detailing prior to painting

The roof will require building up from multiple layers with a great deal of shaping/sanding to get the correct profile. This will also require the existing dividers to be pared to match

The bogies will be constructed from kits or scratchbuilt with bought-in sides - still to be decided

Cheers

Ron

Managed to acquire some mid brown and dark green spray paint this morning from the local chinese bazaar. Will try a couple tests on some scrap styrene to gauge whether the colour and the application is acceptable

Have a couple of pictures of the compartment interiors - both 1st and 3rd class - with descriptions of the upholstery colours and wood panelling - that's something else to do in my spare time  :sarcastichand:

Producing the external vents for the doors, and contemplating all the riveting (actually coach screw heads) which all the steel panelling was fixed to the timber framing of the coach body  :O

I used to travel to school every day on these 'leccies' as we called them. I will be watching your build with interest. 

I know of another modeller who is making the Liverpool electrics which I think are almost the same if not identical, they certainly use 59ft underframes and 9ft 6ins bogies. He is going to utilise some of my LMS underframes to make his and I know he is getting the coach sides etched specially by a manufacturer. Maybe there is some common ground? I can put you in touch if you PM me.

Ralph

P.S. The colour was more of a brunswick green as I seem to remember. 

I used to travel to school every day on these 'leccies' as we called them. I will be watching your build with interest. 

I know of another modeller who is making the Liverpool electrics which I think are almost the same if not identical, they certainly use 59ft underframes and 9ft 6ins bogies. He is going to utilise some of my LMS underframes to make his and I know he is getting the coach sides etched specially by a manufacturer. Maybe there is some common ground? I can put you in touch if you PM me.

Ralph

P.S. The colour was more of a brunswick green as I seem to remember. 

Hi, Ralph

The Liverpool EMUs Class 501 were similar but different to the MSJ&AR Class 505

They were 3 rail not OHLE, 59' in length instead of 58' 1", and with more compartments per coach. The roof was pitched higher above the cantrails. The bogies were 9' 6" in lieu of 9' and 8' 9"

Brunswick Green would be ideal, if only it was available here in Spain, or could be obtained by mail order

Cheers

Ron 

Hi Ron.

Can you get the car spray paints over there? Rover Brooklands Green and Ford Laurel Green are close if that's any use?

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi, Sean

We don't have outlets like Halfords etc., but I can try the local Ford Dealers to see if it is available from their Spares Dept. I only brought in large quantities of Halfords Grey Primer, Ford Beige, and Plastikote Suede Effect when we moved over 4 years ago. Didn't expect to be painting rolling stock

Ron

Ford 'Laurel Green' is no longer available through Ford Spares Dept here in Spain

Have found that RAL 6005 Moss Green is a good substitute for Brunswick Green, and is available in an Acrylic Spray Paint from an online supplier here in Spain at €4.35 + €8 delivery (highest found was €7 + €9 delivery for the same product from an online model shop)

Have ordered the Pantograph kit from Judith Edge. Just got to source the Bogie kits, especially the Motor Bogies

Ron

Great work as usual Ron.

Have you seen this thread? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55846-last-days-of-the-class-505s/

Hi, Michael

Thanks

Yes, I have now - a nice collection of photos - plenty of detail

Did you ever sort the triple door ventilation challenge on the motor units?

I do have an idea how to model it on these units - time will tell

Cheers

Ron

I'm incredibly impressed over how even a 'knife ridge' line you've achieved on all the door apertures.

It is all down to the use of the cutter - setting the blade high so as not to cut through the plasticard, but still show a reasonable groove

Hi, Ralph

The Liverpool EMUs Class 501 were similar but different to the MSJ&AR Class 505

They were 3 rail not OHLE, 59' in length instead of 58' 1", and with more compartments per coach. The roof was pitched higher above the cantrails. The bogies were 9' 6" in lieu of 9' and 8' 9"

Brunswick Green would be ideal, if only it was available here in Spain, or could be obtained by mail order

Cheers

Ron

The Liverpool LMS 3rd rail units were never assigned a class number but were basically the same as the London Area's units although some were formed into 4 car units. I understand that there was some transfers of trailer cars from Manchester to the London area in the 1950's however I have no details of the coaches involved.

The Class 501's were BR standard designed units built in 1957 and were allocated to the North London Lines, however some Class 501's did get transferred to Merseyside in the 1980's, but only for department service

XF

Hi Ron,

Coach sides look good. There is a lot of work making suburban coaches as I am finding out building a whole load of my own from Comet sides.

There are 2 books which may be of interest to you. You may already have them but just in case:

Scenes from the past 36(Part One) - Altrincham to Manchester before Metrolink by N R Knight - Foxline - ISBN 1-870119-60-6

The Manchester South Junction and Altrincham Railway by Frank Dixon - Oakwood Press - ISBN 0-85361-454-7

They both have excellent photos, the Foxline one in colour. If you need to know anything please ask and I can get you what you want. I also have access to LMS Coaches Vol 3 which has all the correct information but I need to go to the club to get it first but I know that the drawings are in that book. Hope this might help you.

Someone in our club did actually build an MSJ&A set in 0 gauge many years ago but I have no idea what happened to it. It would certainly not compare to what you are making anyway as this was in the days when 0 gauge models were not up to the standard we get today. I think it might have been Jim Whittaker and if my memory serves me correct he actually made a model of the approach to Knott Mill station. I could be wrong on this as I only ever saw some photos. 

Ralph

Hi Ron,

Coach sides look good. There is a lot of work making suburban coaches as I am finding out building a whole load of my own from Comet sides.

There are 2 books which may be of interest to you. You may already have them but just in case:

Scenes from the past 36(Part One) - Altrincham to Manchester before Metrolink by N R Knight - Foxline - ISBN 1-870119-60-6

The Manchester South Junction and Altrincham Railway by Frank Dixon - Oakwood Press - ISBN 0-85361-454-7

They both have excellent photos, the Foxline one in colour. If you need to know anything please ask and I can get you what you want. I also have access to LMS Coaches Vol 3 which has all the correct information but I need to go to the club to get it first but I know that the drawings are in that book. Hope this might help you.

Someone in our club did actually build an MSJ&A set in 0 gauge many years ago but I have no idea what happened to it. It would certainly not compare to what you are making anyway as this was in the days when 0 gauge models were not up to the standard we get today. I think it might have been Jim Whittaker and if my memory serves me correct he actually made a model of the approach to Knott Mill station. I could be wrong on this as I only ever saw some photos. 

Ralph

Hi, Ralph

There is a lot of work on coaches, if you want all the details both the interior and the exterior. Also deciding at what stages of the build painting, etc. is required

I have ordered the Foxline book. If you can scan details from the LMS Coaches Vol.3 I would be most grateful

With regards to the layout the only section of the MSJ&AR that I can build accurately will be the Castlefield area, and then it's out into the garden

Thanks for your info and help

Cheers

Ron

What era and livery will your unit be when finished?

XF

Hi, Nigel

British Railways - Period 1955-1969

Livery - Early BR - Brunswick Green with half Yellow end panels

Diamond Pantograph - 1500v DC

The Judith Edge pantograph will require a slight modification from single diagonal braces to cross braces

Cheers

Ron

Archived