MRJ 194

David Bigcheeseplant

mrj194.jpg

Model Railway Journal 194 has been dispatched from Wild Swan.

contents include:

Small suppliers

LNER J11 Pom pom in P4: John Sherratt

Insiration: Don Rowland

The final curtain? : Peter Kirmond

Seen at the Scale 7 group AGM: Bob Essery

Finnies Garage: Ian Robinson

1970s Heavy Metal in South Wales: Hywell Thomas

Jackson coupling handbook and Turner jigs: Chris Pendlenton

Locomotives of Dunwich part 2: Roy Jackson

Letters

Diary

• RMweb Gold

This thread gets the olddudders award for being first in the Brave New World to actually have images!

That's because the image is hosted elsewhere on the web rather than on RMweb.

If news that another issues was on the way wasn't enough, the fact it contains an article on 1970's South Wales steel trains make the deal even sweeter!

Pix

Oooh shiny indeed, i'll look for this along with GWJ when I get back to the UK, looking forward to that article though!

Picked mine up form Ian Allan in Cardiff this afternoon - as ever packed full of things to oggle and wonder just how people achieve them (The Scale7 MR crane on page 261 being a prime example of the latter!) Hywel's article take my vote as my favourite article although I'm sure I'm slightly biased... wink.gif

Pix

• RMweb Gold

Looks like another excelent issue. It arrived yesterday before the postal strike hit, will it turn out to be as controversial as 193? I'm working late tonight waiting for people to arrive for thier hols, so will get a chance to start it then.

The new editor is!!!!!!!

I was about to reveal who it was then I found I couldn't post on the forum, but I think I will let someone else say who it is now.

David

Esteemed aging LNWR/Wagon type???

Lives in darkest Shropshire these days...

Dribble lol-049.gif

I take it it's not Steve Jones then ????

Now then............................... :rolleyes:

Just bought this and its a corking edition!!!

The Pom-Pom article is just enough to inspire without causing too much of one having to perspire....

And as for the other loco article - well worth a read in my opinion.

The clincher is the steel wagon article - bloody marvelous and enlightening to those without the knowledge.

Bravo... :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap:

I agree - really a rather good edition. Only just started buying MRJ again regularly after a long break from the hobby, and I must say that comparing the past few issues with some of the back copies I have from about 1996-2002, the difference is amazing. The widespread use of colour really helps - the big photos of Blea Moor in this issue are so atmospheric. I wasn't going to Warley but I think I might have to now.....

The wagon article is really good though - partly because I'm a sucker for industrial and freight stuff (express locos and crimson coaches leave me cold, but a nice grotty wagon - oooh!!! I think I'll have to try and track down a copy of MRJ186 for the Morfa Bank article itself.

My only regret is that, given recent circumstances, I'm not sure we're ever going to see Tim Shackleton's writings in the MRJ again....

Alastair

• RMweb Gold

Picked mine up form Ian Allan in Cardiff this afternoon - as ever packed full of things to oggle and wonder just how people achieve them (The Scale7 MR crane on page 261 being a prime example of the latter!) Hywel's article take my vote as my favourite article although I'm sure I'm slightly biased... wink.gif

Pix

Good innit Pix - a sort of 'all my yesterdays' as far as I'm concerned so definite nostalgiaitis for me on that subject (but I'm certain we were not allowed to send cold reduced without sheeting it by 1972 - after some problems with Mr Ford I seem to recall getting uppity about being sent rusty steel to build his Cortinas or whatever they were called that year).

Good innit Pix - a sort of 'all my yesterdays' as far as I'm concerned so definite nostalgiaitis for me on that subject (but I'm certain we were not allowed to send cold reduced without sheeting it by 1972 - after some problems with Mr Ford I seem to recall getting uppity about being sent rusty steel to build his Cortinas or whatever they were called that year).

From memory british steel coils were delivered unwrapped in those days, but were described as not cut back to gauge, meaning that the outer layers were classd as the wrapper and were thus not paid for in the tonnage. Certain firms used the full coil length to gain a bit of bunce and this resulted in some instances in faulty product reaching the consumer. The introduction of coils from Japan soon after this date that were fully wrapped led to the british suppliers going over to fully wrapped.

Bernard

Hi folks! Thanks for the kind comments on the coil wagon article. I need a rest from them now (too many rivets and complex shapes!) so better build something else...chemical tanks maybe?! Regarding the sheeting of the coils - yes, they were covered over in 1972 but I haven't got round to doing it yet! Even the short haul from Llanwern to Newport Docks saw them covered over by the late 1960s. I'm thinking of using some very fine material and the doping fluid used by model aircraft builders so that the sheets will be rigid and I can 'unload' them when they get to the quay. One of many tasks on the 'to-do' list and hopefully something that will come to fruition this winter...

Hywel

Hi folks! Thanks for the kind comments on the coil wagon article. I need a rest from them now (too many rivets and complex shapes!) so better build something else...chemical tanks maybe?! Regarding the sheeting of the coils - yes, they were covered over in 1972 but I haven't got round to doing it yet! Even the short haul from Llanwern to Newport Docks saw them covered over by the late 1960s. I'm thinking of using some very fine material and the doping fluid used by model aircraft builders so that the sheets will be rigid and I can 'unload' them when they get to the quay. One of many tasks on the 'to-do' list and hopefully something that will come to fruition this winter...

Hywel

Hywel,

Chris Lewis has done some Coil Cs and Js using plastic pipe wrapped in thin plastic- it was either freezer bags or a disposable kagoule- which look quite reasonable. Another option might be the plastic film which seems to have replaced tissue paper as an aerofoil covering for modellers- this can be heatshrunk on.

Look forward to seeing more of your wagons in print soon.

Brian

My only regret is that, given recent circumstances, I'm not sure we're ever going to see Tim Shackleton's writings in the MRJ again....

Alastair

Am I reading too much into given recent circumstances regarding TS's further involvement with the MRJ? Given the sudden change of editorship without explanation (although we no longer get notice of price increases either so I shouldn't be surprised :icon_confused: ), I guess something is amiss. (No, I am not a Scalefour Society member or an e4rum? subscriber.)

Anyway, I thought MRJ 194 was a good issue too with plenty to inspire. I was particularly taken by the house in Portfolio -- brilliantly observed! :icon_clap:

Picked it up on Friday along with the 'Summer' GWJ and used my Smiths 10% off card before it ran out too.

The South Wales Coil article is excellent, its all a bit late for my main interest but its wonderful to see such variety and attention to detail especially as MRJ seem to have gone a bit mad with colour this month.

Blea Moor in print was the best view of this layout i've ever seen or at least the pictures on the first 3 pages. The layout has always disappointed me at shows because you get the overlapped teddy bears at eye lever when you see it. The pictures here though are from a low angle meaning you first see the foreground detail which is much better and then the stock which is beautiful, its only if you study for a while that the seams stand out. The one picture was a bit unfortunate though as it showed up the flaw in lengths of resin wall, they tended to zig-zag in sections rather than flow. I'm sure it'll be enjoyed though by those at Warley and it certainly had some unusual wagon flows portrayed on it.

The AJ book review was quite detailed although it may have been better to put a bit more emphasis on his extra jigs and building the etched jigs really.

Archived