High Level Kits

High Level Kits

17 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Alan Gibson do them.

Jason

I know they do the wheels for the big 18” Barclay but I’m not sure that they suit for the 14”. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers,

David

• 1 month later...

Customers with Gmail accounts (for emails) who might think we're ignoring their communications:

We are unable to send messages to anyone with a Gmail address, due to Gmail changing security settings at their end. Sending from our business mail doesn't work either but, as a last resort, we may be able to send you a text if we have your mobile number.

This has been going on for a while now but sending via the message facility has always worked fine. Now even this is playing up...

Other news: when time allows, we're ploughing on with the Barclay Chassis. This is proving a difficult job for a variety of reasons and when you get into the dimensions it's apparent why the Hattons' designers made it the way they did. We hope to overcome all the problems and provide a finescale chassis with compensation, for EM and P4. With virtually zero clearance above the wheels, the hornblocks will ride on stops with spring wire exerting downward force only. The gearbox will be a split affair, as in the Pug.

The boiler will be cylindrical with daylight underneath the chassis. We were hoping to be able to utalise the existing cylinder assembly, but now it's looking like we'll have to include our own. It'll be extra work but at least it'll be silver and will integrate with the etchings to provide a strong job. Hopefully, the brakegear can be re-used.

That's the plan up to now....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, High Level Kits said:

Customers with Gmail accounts (for emails) who might think we're ignoring their communications:

We are unable to send messages to anyone with a Gmail address, due to Gmail changing security settings at their end. Sending from our business mail doesn't work either but, as a last resort, we may be able to send you a text if we have your mobile number.

This has been going on for a while now but sending via the message facility has always worked fine. Now even this is playing up...

Other news: when time allows, we're ploughing on with the Barclay Chassis. This is proving a difficult job for a variety of reasons and when you get into the dimensions it's apparent why the Hattons' designers made it the way they did. We hope to overcome all the problems and provide a finescale chassis with compensation, for EM and P4. With virtually zero clearance above the wheels, the hornblocks will ride on stops with spring wire exerting downward force only. The gearbox will be a split affair, as in the Pug.

The boiler will be cylindrical with daylight underneath the chassis. We were hoping to be able to utalise the existing cylinder assembly, but now it's looking like we'll have to include our own. It'll be extra work but at least it'll be silver and will integrate with the etchings to provide a strong job. Hopefully, the brakegear can be re-used.

That's the plan up to now....

Is your CONTACT box facility working, I have sent two messages to you that way, and an email from a Hotmail / Outlook email account, but have received no response.

I will phone you tomorrow - what time would be best?

John Isherwood.

18 minutes ago, MJI said:

I had same issue with my own email google kills it off.

The problem is that Google tries to force you to login via Google - but, from what Chris tells us, he is not able to work with Gmail addresses.

I finally got an order placed, but only by refusing the repeated attempts by Google to get me to login via their platform.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

The problem is that Google tries to force you to login via Google - but, from what Chris tells us, he is not able to work with Gmail addresses.

I finally got an order placed, but only by refusing the repeated attempts by Google to get me to login via their platform.

CJI.

Google is rejecting emails from my own domain as it is not a big domain like google.

It is google being gits

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, High Level Kits said:

14 hours ago, MJI said:

Google is rejecting emails from my own domain as it is not a big domain like google.

It is most likely not the size of the domain, but the DNS settings you are using. I had the same issue with mine when I switched providers a few months ago. You'll need to configure (or get your email provider to configure) SPF or DCIM: https://support.google.com/a/answer/33786?hl=en - these are internet standards, not something Google specific, but at the moment I believe Gmail is the only major provider to enforce them. The idea is to prove that emails that say they're from you, actually are from you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

It is most likely not the size of the domain, but the DNS settings you are using. I had the same issue with mine when I switched providers a few months ago. You'll need to configure (or get your email provider to configure) SPF or DCIM: https://support.google.com/a/answer/33786?hl=en - these are internet standards, not something Google specific, but at the moment I believe Gmail is the only major provider to enforce them. The idea is to prove that emails that say they're from you, actually are from you.

Having read the Google link, I would guess that the knowledge and understanding required exclude 99% of users!

They have got to be joking!

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Having read the Google link, I would guess that the knowledge and understanding required exclude 99% of users!

They have got to be joking!

CJI.

Pretty much everything involved in setting up an email server excludes 99% of users - it's not something you do yourself if you don't know what you're doing!

Even when I was running my own (I've recently switched to a provided one as I just don't have the time to keep maintaining it), I used software that did most of that config for me. 

I posted that link in the hope that it'll help High Level to get their provider to configure it properly for them, I doubt it's something they manage themselves.

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had issues with my own domain when SPF wasn't set up with other people not receiving my emails. Once it was sorted out (by me on my provider's site) everything worked as normal again.

• RMweb Gold

SPF is relatively straightforward if you know the IP address(es) or URL(s) of the mailservers. and anyone you use for bulk emailing e.g.:

Add a DNS record to your domain:

v=spf1 mx a ip4:123.123.123.123 ip4123.123.123.124 include:loadsaemailapp.com include:mailspammer.org -all

The -all at the end means if the providing server isn't on the list, fail it. You can have soft fail as well which works but warns, or one that lets anything through - not advisable!

DKIM is still something I've not got my head around - fortunately not much needs that.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Bucoops said:

SPF is relatively straightforward if you know the IP address(es) or URL(s) of the mailservers. and anyone you use for bulk emailing e.g.:

Add a DNS record to your domain:

v=spf1 mx a ip4:123.123.123.123 ip4123.123.123.124 include:loadsaemailapp.com include:mailspammer.org -all

The -all at the end means if the providing server isn't on the list, fail it. You can have soft fail as well which works but warns, or one that lets anything through - not advisable!

DKIM is still something I've not got my head around - fortunately not much needs that.

I'm sure that it's relatively straightforward to you - but it's double-dutch to me and, I'm sure, most others.

CJI.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I'm sure that it's relatively straightforward to you - but it's double-dutch to me and, I'm sure, most others.

CJI.

Quite likely - but relatively is the key word 🙂 and the person maintaining the website and/or domain should be able to sort it easily.

DKIM keys looks a bit like this - k=rsa; t=s; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQDGMjj8MVaESl30KSPYdLaEreSYzvOVh15u9YKAmTLgk1ecr4BCRq3Vkg3Xa2QrEQWbIvQj9FNqBYOr3XIczzU8gkK5Kh42P4C3DgNiBvlNNk2BlA5ITN/EvVAn/ImjoGq5IrcO+hAj2iSAozYTEpJAKe0NTrj49CIkj5JI6ibyJwIDAQAB

There's no deducing that from email server addresses...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

What's wrong with a pen and paper?

It costs at least 75p to send a letter, and you've got to buy a stamp and then actually post the thing, far too much work. Much easier to rant on t'internet.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• 1 month later...

A couple of photos of a High Level Lo-Rider motor bogie. Really lovely kit, recommended to me by Mike Edge for a Class 124 TransPennine I am building. Comet chassis, and various other parts for the bodies.

The Lo-Rider is designed as a replacement for Hornby and Lima bogies, but it can be modified for other builds. I have used the mounting points to add scratch built top bracket and that fits through a top mount on the chassis.

The top mount adds a couple of millimetres to the height, but still as low as a Replica Railways motor chassis, and only at a fifth of the chassis, not the whole length. It will be interesting to see it compares in power to that, but if necessary, I could add a another motor bogie to one of the other units.

CL124TP_166.jpg

CL124TP_171.jpg

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jamiel said:

A couple of photos of a High Level Lo-Rider motor bogie. Really lovely kit, recommended to me by Mike Edge for a Class 124 TransPennine I am building. Comet chassis, and various other parts for the bodies.

The Lo-Rider is designed as a replacement for Hornby and Lima bogies, but it can be modified for other builds. I have used the mounting points to add scratch built top bracket and that fits through a top mount on the chassis.

The top mount adds a couple of millimetres to the height, but still as low as a Replica Railways motor chassis, and only at a fifth of the chassis, not the whole length. It will be interesting to see it compares in power to that, but if necessary, I could add a another motor bogie to one of the other units.

CL124TP_166.jpg

CL124TP_171.jpg

I would use two, i would be worried about overloading it on 6.

Mine are all 1 bogie 3 cars

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Jamiel said:

CL124TP_166.jpg

CL124TP_171.jpg

41 minutes ago, MJI said:

I would use two, i would be worried about overloading it on 6.

Mine are all 1 bogie 3 cars

The one in my Judith Edge Clayton happily dragged the fish train round Retford for a few circuits.

Accurate placement of weight should suffice for 6 free running coaches I would have thought.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The one in my Judith Edge Clayton happily dragged the fish train round Retford for a few circuits.

Accurate placement of weight should suffice for 6 free running coaches I would have thought.

Mike.

What gearing, and how big is the fish train?

• RMweb Gold

Two very good questions!, the gearing I haven't got a clue about because it's that long ago since it was built, but 36/48 to 1 as it's a freight engine, and the fish train, again from distant memory was about 25 ish not all that free running vans, so a reasonable load.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1