The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Bob Hoskins dies

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

A great actor - his portrayal of Kruschev in 'Enemy At The Gates' was brilliant and I was glad to see that the BBC even showed a short clip from 'On The Move' in the tribute to him on the news channel.  Sad to hear that he's gone but maybe we'll get a repeat of 'Pennies From Heaven'.

• RMweb Premium

RIP Bob. A bit young at 71 these days.

Btw beast, I don't think there was any CGI in WFRR, though I'm not sure if you're kidding or not in your comment. I believe the animation parts were all hand cell painted.

A great actor - his portrayal of Kruschev in 'Enemy At The Gates' was brilliant and I was glad to see that the BBC even showed a short clip from 'On The Move' in the tribute to him on the news channel.  Sad to hear that he's gone but maybe we'll get a repeat of 'Pennies From Heaven'.

Even better was his portrayal of Beria in "The Inner Circle" (about the Kremlin's private cinema operator and the death of Stalin) - where he appeared in a train sequence.

RIP Bob, not just a terrific character actor but a nice character by all accounts too, just about everyone he came into contact with had nice things to say about him.

Who else could have played Harry Shand so well? In an earlier role in a (probably) long forgotten series called 'Villains' made in 1972, he played a similar character to Shand but with a more comical side to him.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Villains-Complete-Series-Bob-Hoskins/dp/B00526PI7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398940692&sr=8-1&keywords=villains+dvd

In 'Mona Lisa', his and Michael Caine's roles could easily have been reversed but the result wouldn't have been quite the same I think.

• RMweb Gold

Btw beast, I don't think there was any CGI in WFRR, though I'm not sure if you're kidding or not in your comment. I believe the animation parts were all hand cell painted.

They were hand drawn, but CG shading was used to make them sit nicely with the real actors.

I saw an interview with Bod Hoskins and he said he hallucinated rabbits for months when making that film. He did an exceptional job as the animated characters were fleshed out by Bob's acting against fresh air.

Deserves I think the overused, but in this case really deserved status of 'STAR'.  Much more than a lovely Cockney rogue; to see him on stage, as I had the privilege to, was to see an actor who carried an audience with him every step of the way.

As so often one thinks of the roles he might have performed, now sadly lost to us.  R.I.P.

'Thick as thieves' was a pilot comedy with Bob and John Thaw as rascals - to use an old-fashioned phrase . Sadly 'The Sweeney' came out at the same time so killed off the possibility of a series.

The bit I recall was when the two wide boys opened a stolen parcel containing some picture prints. Punch line was John Thaw saying "he's there thinking 'some day my prints will come'...."

• RMweb Premium

I learnt to read at a very early age courtesy of Bob Hoskins.  Watched avidly every Sunday the (I presume repeats of) 'On The Move' (a series of ten minute long programs originally designed for adult illiteracy learning) where he played a removals man.

• RMweb Gold

I learnt to read at a very early age courtesy of Bob Hoskins.  Watched avidly every Sunday the (I presume repeats of) 'On The Move' (a series of ten minute long programs originally designed for adult illiteracy learning) where he played a removals man.

They were originally broadcast on Sundays so they might not have been repeats.

Archived