RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

On the Great Central this evening, in North Lincolnshire.

attachicon.gifb Brocklesby 47239 westbound oil and Class 31 eastbound empty steel March 78 J5978.jpg

Brocklesby 47239 westbound oil and Class 31 eastbound empty steel March 78 J5978

Enlarge photo J5978 and you can see it's 47219 (an IM loco) and not 47239 (a CF? loco).

• RMweb Gold

Enlarge photo J5978 and you can see it's 47219 (an IM loco) and not 47239 (a CF? loco).

Thanks for correcting the number - I was, as usual, working from Dad's notes and never thought to really look at the image!

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. As always, excellent photo's tonight. C2863, of the test train, is very interesting, and very modellable. J1556, of the class 20 with the brake tender, is another really good photo', and I see that the brake pipe on the brake tender is painted red, and it is seems to be fitted with ex-LMS bogies.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Great set of pics again, Dave.

The one of the green 27s seems to confirm the generally manky condition they were in around this time (see also BrushVeteran's Flickr). On some locos, you'd be hard pushed to know they had white window surrounds.

Those 27s have a decent heavy train to pull.

I can't count the exact number of wagons, but can get pretty close and I reckon there are about 40 in that consist.

Give that the wagons usually weighed around 7 or 8 tons, and were designed to carry 26 or 27 tons of ore, lets say a total of 35 tons.

35x40 = 1400 tons, plus brake van.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of the WCML in June, 1976. It was a hot one that summer! I see all the door drop-lights are open on the class 304 EMU in the final photo' - such heat!

All the best,

Market65.

Photos from visits made to Preston in 1971 and 1972 this evening.   Both were made on days just before University exams - but everyone needs some time off from studying. 

Work in preparation for electrification was going on at the time of both visits.

attachicon.gifPreston Smith Rodley pw crane 22nd May 71 C626.jpg

Preston Smith Rodley pw crane 22nd May 71 C626

David

Not meaning to hijack your excellent thread but looking at this particular picture spotted a "then & now" opportunity with one of my own, 13 years 1 month after your own shot.

post-7146-0-46422400-1415790973_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-93185400-1415790708_thumb.jpg

47235 runs along the Down & Up goods loop at Preston on a Rocksalt train, 29th June 1984.

Paul J.

Edited to add David's photo as it didn't come out on the first attempt. Not much sun about in Preston on both days. Par for the course.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 12

A few photos taken on visits to the Kent and Essex Sussex during the 1970s  for tea time today.

In those days the sun didn't always shine, sometimes the weather was distinctly grey and murky.  The Agfa film I used then was ASA (ISO) 50, so poor light meant slower shutter speeds and an aperture of F2.8 or 3.5 so not always too much depth of field.

attachicon.gifa Tenterden ex NSB (Norway) 2-6-0 19 27th Dec 76 C3156.jpg

Tenterden ex NSB (Norway) 2-6-0 19 27th Dec 76 C3156

attachicon.gifa Tenterden Hunslet 24 William Austen and Terrier 10 Sutton on brake vans Sept 78 C4136 - Copy.jpg

Tenterden Hunslet 24 William Austen and Terrier 10 Sutton on brake vans Sept 78 C4136

attachicon.gifa Tenterden SR U class 1618 Aug 75 C2387.jpg

Tenterden SR U class 1618 Aug 75 C2387

attachicon.gifc Tenterden Bank Hunslet 24 Willam Austen and Terrier 10 Sutton climbing to Tenterden Sept 78 C4149.jpg

Tenterden Bank Hunslet 24 Willam Austen and Terrier 10 Sutton climbing to Tenterden Sept 78 C4149

attachicon.giff Rolvenden Peckett 18 Westminster Aug 75 C2414.jpg

Rolvenden Peckett 18 Westminster Aug 75 C2414

attachicon.giff Rolvenden Terrier 3 Bodiam running round, RSH 26, Peckett 12 Marcia Aug 75 C2407.jpg

Rolvenden Terrier 3 Bodiam running round, RSH 26, Peckett 12 Marcia Aug 75 C2407

David

Hi David,

Just a correction to a couple of your captions, C2414 is actually Fox Walker 385/1877 'Minnie', now preserved at Mangapps Farm and C2407 the RSH is probably no.56 not 26.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Not meaning to hijack your excellent thread but looking at this particular picture spotted a "then & now" opportunity with one of my own, 13 years 1 month after your own shot.

attachicon.gifPreston Smith Rodley pw crane 22nd May 71 C626.jpg

attachicon.gifCBR 6-26(HR).jpg

47235 runs along the Down & Up goods loop at Preston on a Rocksalt train, 29th June 1984.

Paul J.

Edited to add David's photo as it didn't come out on the first attempt. Not much sun about in Preston on both days. Par for the course.

I always enjoy looking at then and nows.  Many thanks for posting your photo.

David

Hi David,

Just a correction to a couple of your captions, C2414 is actually Fox Walker 385/1877 'Minnie', now preserved at Mangapps Farm and C2407 the RSH is probably no.56 not 26.

Cheers

Thanks for the information, Ive altered the captions and made a note in my own photo catalogue.

David

Edited by DaveF

Lovely shots from Stratford, Dave.    C4370 reminds me that it was always challenging to record numbers from Clacton units, especially when they were on the move, because the fronts of the units were so filthy and the unit number was low-down.   In C4376, it seems very late for a head-code to be shown in 1979, but maybe the GE did their own thing, as per white roofs on 47s etc.  

Bill

Edited by AberdeenBill

• RMweb Gold

Lovely shots from Stratford, Dave.    C4370 reminds me that it was always challenging to record numbers from Clacton units, especially when they were on the move, because the fronts of the units were so filthy and the unit number was low-down.   In C4376, it seems very late for a head-code to be shown in 1979, but maybe the GE did their own thing, as per white roofs on 47s etc.  

Bill

I've always thought the same about it being late for headcodes to be shownheadcodes but I do have more photos taken on the same day, 2 other emus showed headcodes.  One day they will appear here....

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What good photo's of Stratford tonight. I particulary like the photo' of Tulyar, the Deltic looks so magnificent in the sun at Stratford that day. And look at all the people queuing to get in the cab. In photo' C4373, is another of those Cravens DMU's which were transferred from Hull in the late 1960's - also look at what looks like a large amount of bird dirt on the rear of the DMBS's roof!

All the best,

Market65.

Ooh I've come over all nostalgic. Between about 1978 when my parents first allowed me to travel up to London from Brentwood age 13 (imagine that now!) and 1985 when I left University in 1985 (living in Brockley) is when I did much of my travelling on this line simply because I couldn't afford a car. I either cycled or walked the four miles from home to Brentwood station!

Fantastic photos as always.

• Like 1