Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

I am jealous of that 84 photo, because they were not too common in the daytime south of Crewe by 1976.

In fact my regret is that I don't have a photo of 84005, and my only one of 84007 is on the scrap line at Crewe Electric Depot.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of the WCML. I also like the one with AM10. Great units, that are indeed ripe for modelling!

In the second photo, there are two coaches which look as if they have snow on the roofs, is that right, I wonder, for I cannot see snow elsewhere.

With warm regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of the WCML. I also like the one with AM10. Great units, that are indeed ripe for modelling!

In the second photo, there are two coaches which look as if they have snow on the roofs, is that right, I wonder, for I cannot see snow elsewhere.

With warm regards,

Rob.

Not only that, there's 8 sets of windows. I always thought that there were 7 in MKII stock : 3+4.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

They ain't CDAs, that would be a CBA. Built 1969 (+5 more in 1977 to replace accident wright offs). Designed to carry crushed limestone.

Tunstead to Margam behind a Peak was one of their earliest workings.

Now how can we convert Hornby HAAs to CBAs?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

With warm regards,

Rob.

As jonny 777 has said I think it's just water overflow.  I think I've got other photos taken over the years showing it.

David

• RMweb Gold

That looks like another panel, under the route indicator box of 84005.

i can`t recall seeing that before.

The thick line just under the indicator box is part of the surround to the box.

I don't know about the horizontal line lower down but it is present on others of the class. There are quite a lot of photos if you search for Class 84 on the web.

David

• RMweb Gold

As jonny 777 has said I think it's just water overflow.  I think I've got other photos taken over the years showing it.

David

That is something which I have not, knowingly, seen before! I thought that it could not really be snow, for everything else was saying it wasn't. Very interesting!

Warm regards,

Rob.

P.S. I will have to try modelling it now - if I can work out how to!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent selection of photo's of the S & C today. I especially like that first one at Langwathby. A real train in the landscape shot as the 40 hauls that freight past the camera.

With warm regards,

Rob.

J4007: superb study of a Deltic, if only photos had sound effects... 

J3138: that looks like very low grade iron ore...     Was there any washing before it was transported to a steelworks?

Bill

It was 30% or so iron content; it wasn't washed, but would have been crushed before going into the blast furnace. There were sources of higher iron content ore in South Wales and Cumbria, but it was deep-mined, and much more expensive to extract.

• RMweb Gold

J4007: superb study of a Deltic, if only photos had sound effects... 

J3138: that looks like very low grade iron ore...     Was there any washing before it was transported to a steelworks?

Bill

J3138 was taken in Feb 73 which was very close to the end of the iron ore quarrying operation.  I think that a lot of the ore moved then was "left overs"  and from small unused areas, so that the sites could be tidied up before closure.

The ore was simply quarried, loaded and transported at that time.   In early years the ore had been calcined at the quarries.

Davd

Edited by DaveF

Tunstead to Margam behind a Peak was one of their earliest workings.

Now how can we convert Hornby HAAs to CBAs?

Phil

As usual I am playing catch-up with this marvellous thread.

I managed to photograph the Margam - Tunstead working in 1983

post-7081-0-77846600-1447870693.jpg

45017 arrives at Peak Forest with the empties from Margam, 13/6/83

cheers 

• Like 16