Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Lovely photos today. The first one is interesting for I have not come across too many of the class 154 prototype unit.

And I agree about the class 120, it is one that should be in the RTR range, but whether it will get made now is a good question in view of eye watering prices.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Lovely to see the class 120s, also to see them before the original centre (buffet) vehicles were replaced by spare Metro-Camm class 101 trailers. They bring back many fond memories to me - although not so much when they were doing the Norwich - Birmingham runs, which could be a little tedious (and rattly!), especially the evening services, which used to stop at every pillar and post in East Anglia.

Interesting that the class 154 is in two-car formation - I don't recall ever seeing it without the centre car.

That's an interesting signal in Spalding. I wonder if you would ever get drawn upto it and sit across the crossing waiting for the road?

Lovely shots again David (especially the searchlights in yesterdays post!)

Andy G

Hello.

Presumably if that signal were at red (sorry, stop) then presumably there would be an arrangement that the train stops at a defined point on the other side of the crossing, presumably at the LX or Whistle board.

Perhaps there was even interlocking such that if that signal was at stop the preceding signal would also be at stop to hold the train clear of the crossing.

All surmising, of course.

Interesting that the class 154 is in two-car formation - I don't recall ever seeing it without the centre car.

Hello.

Stand to be corrected, but my memory was that when 150 002 was converted to the 154 (002) only the two driving cars were done, the trailer becoming spare until it reverted to 150 form.

I do wonder what it would have been like had the 150/156/158 DMUs been built as 3-car units rather than 2-car, but that is a musing for another thread...

Hope this helps.

• RMweb Gold

I think as a 154 it did for at least a time have three cars.

When it was rebuilt back to a 150 it had its braking system replaced, as built it had two pipe air PBL then westcode electronic EP system. This I feel was a retrograde step as the PBL system only required an adaptor coupler to be hauled by a loco with fully operational brakes

You can tell if it has PBL brakes as two air valves are visible on the coupler heads.

There are three car 158s by the way

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder what it would have been like had the 150/156/158 DMUs been built as 3-car units rather than 2-car, but that is a musing for another thread...

Fewer units would have been built overall, so heritage DMUs and even better loco hauled trains would have lasted longer.

So familiar to me!!  I worked in the Tube Mill that is to the left of photograph C8975 - "BSC Clydesdale Works".  There was a drawing office just out of shot to the left of that photo, I filled a book with spotting notes during the summer I was employed in there.

Motherwell 27030 & 27049 14th Aug 87 C8981, both locomotives had already been withdrawn, 27030 would be cut up at Vic Berry's in October of that year.

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit

C8981, the back of the DIY store. I remember it well. The store staff must have wondered why so many people went out there and came back without buying anything.

• RMweb Gold

C24816 - what was a 33 doing at Motherwell?

On 1st October 1999 EWS alocated 3 Class 33s to Motherwell.  33025 (grey/yellow) and 33030 (EWS) were used at Aberdeen for shunting. They usually moved between the 2 locations dead in train, but not always.

33019 was kept at Motherwell for spares, this is probably the one in the photo.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos from Scotland. There are good views of the trackwork as well as the catenary. I think that the class 314 on that special is riding a little roughly, you can see that the cars are not fully aligned with each other.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

On 1st October 1999 EWS alocated 3 Class 33s to Motherwell.  33025 (grey/yellow) and 33030 (EWS) were used at Aberdeen for shunting. They usually moved between the 2 locations dead in train, but not always.

33019 was kept at Motherwell for spares, this is probably the one in the photo.

David

Indeed.   A most unlikely pair of visitors to Aberdeen.  They also worked local trip-freights (pipes and timber) to Elgin and Laurencekirk.  

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dave,

J1794, I suspect it's down to colour rendition, but that leading EE Type 1 don't half look like it's BSYP :)

You're right Andy, it is green.  On the original scan I can just about make out the BR crest.   Parts of the slide had developed a blue cast, I haven't managed to remove it all.

Edit - It's got a grey roof so it must be green.

David

Edited by DaveF

Hello Dave,

Like everyone else who commented on J1994, what a picture. Unusual way the locos are, liveries, weathering etc. 

Excellent pics, any more like these ?

Regards Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dave,

Like everyone else who commented on J1994, what a picture. Unusual way the locos are, liveries, weathering etc. 

Excellent pics, any more like these ?

Regards Jeff

Jeff,

Many thanks for the kind comment.

I am sure there are more but I have so many photos that what comes up on any day is really luck of the draw as I pick, fairly randomly, from the photos I've got round to captioning.  There are certainly a lot more on the Midland yet to come, around 200 captioned ones plus more I've not yet sorted out.  I'm not saying they are all "good" photos though.

David

Edited by DaveF

1C76 was the 15:55 Derby-St Pancras

1M79 was the 14:55 Sheffield-St Pancras. The 2nd coach was in theory Lounge Car M14902, although difficult to tell from the corridor side. The train has an extra FK at the front.

I'm not saying they are all "good" photos though.

David

Dave,

As far as I'm concerned, any photo of the railway which you can't go out and look at today is a good one!

Thanks for posting and keep 'em coming is what I say.

Edited by leopardml2341