RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

J4306: is that a switch diamond or just some trick of the light?

Thanks,

Bill

It's just a trick of the light, as you will see from the photos below.

post-5613-0-44806700-1508449808_thumb.jpg

Manningtree  Class 105 Colchester to Peterborough May 75 J4291

post-5613-0-28534300-1508449802_thumb.jpg

Manningtree Class 31 Parkeston Quay to Liverpool St The Day Continental May 75 J4292

David

• Like 16

A visit to south west Scotland for today's photos.

The first photo is of the Caledonian Railway station at Annan, on the line from Kirtlebridge which went across the Solway viaduct which joined the North British line to Silloth and also the M&C at Brayton.

Many years ago, when I was a member of a modelling group, the Blyth 61172 Association, we built a model named Challoch Junction, inventing  a station at the location.  It went to a number of exhibitions in the north east.

attachicon.gifAnnan CR branch July 74 J3822.jpg

Annan CR branch July 74 J3822

David

J3822... A fine example of one of those new fangled railway drains...  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. The WCML photos are superb, and the class 87’s hauling typical trains, for the era, of Mk2 and Mk3 stock all look so right. A great series of photos to help those who are purchasing the new Hornby model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

If you look very carefully at the box diagram, on signals 8 & 54 it shows only one lever number applying to both arms, indicating both arms are worked by the one lever, indicating co-acting arms, as noted by others. On signals 56 & 57 and also 58 & 59, the two arms have separate numbers next to them, indicating the signals are cleared by different levers, indicating separate routes. The GE was very fond of stacking main semaphore on one post, Ipswich having quite a few as seen below.

19054942311_6527346ce6_b.jpgCBR 2-103 by Paul James, on Flickr

Any chance of nipping back in time and taking a shot from the other side of the bridge please? The signals there had a rather nice fog repeater... 

• RMweb Premium

And 58 and 59 (top-to-bottom, left-to-right)??   Interesting that the head-shunt has a track circuit.    And what is the 'black and white' disc to the right of 'down platform'?

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I suggest that it is a "shunt" signal controlling movements in to the siding - controlled from the ground frame rather than the signal box, hence it is coloured "black and white" on the diagram.

Regards, Ian.

Paul J. Second photo is really good, can see a 47 way off in the distance.

Is that Harwich or Parkstone Quay? ( CBR-5-124 & 125 )

It's actually just after what was Parkeston Goods Junction. The signal featured in the two photos can just be made out on the RH middle edge of the full size version of the photo below.

20053264608_f656b06229_b.jpgCBR-5-123 by Paul James, on Flickr

Paul J.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Southend photo's. The funicular railway makes a great contrast to the cliff lifts in Scarborough, and the pier railway is quite charming. The trains, at the time of the photo's always reminded me, to an extent, of the stying of some of the diesel units over in Ireland in the 50's and 60's. I think that they all had naval style windscreen wipers fitted.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland Railway trust photos. The first one shows how good those two engines were looking in MR crimson lake livery. Interesting to see the Jinty in the ‘fake’ crimson livery which it did not carry in LMS and BR service.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

That brought back a few memories. My only visit to the MRT was a few months later (by which time the repaint of D4 was complete). Much of the stock was in exactly the same position as your photographs.

I remember being made very welcome by the crew and given a cab ride on the Jinty, across the reservoir to Hammersmith and back. It was a cold and miserable early December afternoon and the warmth from the firebox was very welcome! I really must get back there for another visit some time.