Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

More wonderful photos Dave

J1289 You don't see shunters DIT in photos too often ....rods still on except it looks like rod to final drive under cab is off.

Also J783 - what is that load on the conflat behind D6777?

Cheers

Phil

Many of the diesel mechanicals were moved DIT with the rods on. The rods from the gear box to the appropriate crank pin where removed, with a wooden packing on that crank pin between the rod and cap.

The shots taken during the pre-TOPS era are of great interest, they show such a huge variety of rolling stock and infrastructure, essentially the steam age railway powered by diesels which was on the turn of a massive transition. It took a while but what was to exist just 20 years later offered but a fraction of the variety in an environment which was barely recognisable, which makes these shots so valuable.

• Like 1

J1289 - I reckon that's an ex-LNER Quint behind the lowfit.

Cracking picture of the Drikold container, Porcy.  I recently saw some photos of those in Poland in 1938.  Apparently ICI allowed them to manufacture using their process and sent some containers to show them how it was transported.

A few more photos from the Grassington branch today.

I don't think we've been there since the end of March so it's time for another visit.

attachicon.gifGrassington Class 4 75041 Dec 66 J722.jpg

Grassington Class 4 75041 Dec 66 J722

attachicon.gifm Grassington BR Class 4 75021 in green July 67 J936.jpg

Grassington BR Class 4 75021 in green July 67 J936

attachicon.gifGrassington Class 4 75021 July 67 J938.jpg

Grassington Class 4 75021 July 67 J938

attachicon.gifm Grassington BR Class 4 75021 in green July 67 J941.jpg

Grassington BR Class 4 75021 in green July 67 J941

attachicon.gifCracoe12083 and ano Aug 83 C 6250.jpg

Cracoe  12083 and 08054 Aug 83 C6250

David

Love J722. At a first glance I thought I was looking at a very good painting........................so atmospheric.

Davey

J1289 - I reckon that's an ex-LNER Quint behind the lowfit.

Agreed a Quint, possibly one of the BR Head Wrightson built one. But what we haven't discussed is the single fixed plank wagon behind the shunter (not a Lowfit, no drop doors and no vacuum brake) it appears to possibly be a privately owned wagon with that large P and no very obvious BR lettering. Thoughts anyone - or even better knowledge!

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Agreed a Quint, possibly one of the BR Head Wrightson built one. But what we haven't discussed is the single fixed plank wagon behind the shunter (not a Lowfit, no drop doors and no vacuum brake) it appears to possibly be a privately owned wagon with that large P and no very obvious BR lettering. Thoughts anyone - or even better knowledge!

Paul

Hi Paul

Your looking for someone with great knowledge than yourself about wagons? Well it isn't me but looking at the single plank wagon, it has no drop sides, it is unfitted and has Morton brakes. LMS Diagram D1986 were unfitted with Morton brakes and did not have dropsides. Could it be one of these sold out of BR service?

Some of the LMS single plank wagons were later fitted with Vacuum brakes by BR.

Hi Paul

Your looking for someone with great knowledge than yourself about wagons? Well it isn't me but looking at the single plank wagon, it has no drop sides, it is unfitted and has Morton brakes. LMS Diagram D1986 were unfitted with Morton brakes and did not have dropsides. Could it be one of these sold out of BR service?

Some of the LMS single plank wagons were later fitted with Vacuum brakes by BR.

Yes agreed it is an LMS diag 1986, But the number 506 and P suggests it is private owner more likely to have been an internal user. Not unknown for internal user wagons to be moved on BR but interesting.

Paul

Yes agreed it is an LMS diag 1986, But the number 506 and P suggests it is private owner more likely to have been an internal user. Not unknown for internal user wagons to be moved on BR but interesting.

Paul

I have just looked at it properly on a decent sized screen and there is a OJO (One Journey Only) label on it white with orange stripe.

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Stenson Junction photos. Those with two class 20’s are superb, and today I’ve seen two 20’s on an RHTT working near York. The class 114 unit, in the last photo, has oval buffer faces on the cab end of the DMBS.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Stenson Junction in 1976 and 1977 for today.

Dad's photos again, these didn't have much detail in his slide catalogue.

attachicon.gifStenson Junction Class 47 47343 down freight Aug 76 J5434.jpg

Stenson Junction Class 47 47343 down freight Aug 76 J5434

attachicon.gifStenson Junction Clas 20s 20070 and ano down coal Aug 76 J5435.jpg

Stenson Junction Clas 20s 20070 and ano down coal Aug 76 J5435

attachicon.gifStenson Junction Class 20s view west Aug 76 J5437.jpg

Stenson Junction Class 20s view west Aug 76 J5437  I think this is the same train as in the photo above.

attachicon.gifStenson Junction Class 45 Swansea to Leeds Jan 77 J5606.jpg

Stenson Junction Class 45 Swansea to Leeds? Jan 77 J5606

attachicon.gifStenson Junction Class 114 Crewe to Lincoln Jan 77 J5607.jpg

Stenson Junction Class 114 Crewe to Lincoln Jan 77 J5607

David

Lovely shots showing the early TOPS era there.

The class 45 in 5606 is 45071, the first to be converted to sealed beam markers and one the few, perhaps only one, to retain the headboard brackets and centre lamp iron after conversion.

• Like 1

The class 45 in 5606 is 45071, the first to be converted to sealed beam markers and one the few, perhaps only one, to retain the headboard brackets and centre lamp iron after conversion.

There was at least one 46 with this arrangement too, I photographed it at York around 1980 (unfortunately the shot isn't to hand so I can't state the number).

• RMweb Gold

Ah my old friend - D125 in proper numbers...

More wonderful photos Dave, and as Bill says J5434 is an excellent reminder how how mixed freight traffic could still be in the 1970s....

Cheers

Phil