Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

I am afraid that C3252 doesn't make we want to model the scene. The next photo perhaps. Interesting how different an impression one can gain by, I assume, looking in the opposite direction.

And as always, great to see photos of the Blyth & Tyne as it used to be. I fear that when it reopens we shan't recognise it as the same line.

Re Mistley, I had a feeling that the layout I was remembering was one by Iain Rice.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Having mucked about resignalling the route about 30 years ago, I think it is at the east end, w Barking at the west end. 

You could well be right!

I've altered the post now.

Many thanks.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent set of photo’s of Mistley, on the Great Eastern line between Manningtree and Harwich. In C1886, of the Maltings and quayside, with wagons, in March, 1975, you have captured a superb view which will be a source of inspiration for modellers.

The photo’s of the London, Tilbury and Southend line, between Pitsea, at the east end of the Tilbury loop, and Leigh on Sea, are a superb selection, and in C3252, at Hadleigh Marsh, on a very dull day, a class 302 is passing by on an up passenger service in March, 1977. It’s very much a down to earth scene, and I seem to recall the closing credits to Softly, Softly: Task Force, from the early Seventies, sometimes making use of that viewpoint, with one of the 302’s passing by.

The Morpeth photo’s are all of interest, and in the first photo’ of 55055, The Prince of Wales Own Regiment of Yorkshire, on a Newcastle to Edinburgh service, on the 17th January, 1981, the mixture of stock can be seen with two Mkl’s leading the Mkll air conditioned coaches with a Mkl catering car. Clearly a very cold day with all that snow on the ground.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To correct a spelling error.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

I am afraid that C3252 doesn't make we want to model the scene. The next photo perhaps. Interesting how different an impression one can gain by, I assume, looking in the opposite direction.

And as always, great to see photos of the Blyth & Tyne as it used to be. I fear that when it reopens we shan't recognise it as the same line.

Re Mistley, I had a feeling that the layout I was remembering was one by Iain Rice.

Jonathan

I’m not certain as I’m away from my back numbers of MRJs atm but I think it was based on the Snape Maltings and I think it was Butley Mills set on the ESLR.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

C8215. Conflat A used to ensure the 03 activated the track circuits: most of the vehicles used for this at Newcastle were Conflat Ls, with the holes in the floor. Not the most practical wagons for the job..

The 03s also worked trips to Tyneside Central Freight Depot, the Green Market at Low Fell, and scrap yards at Dunston and Blaydon, whilst one was out-stationed  at Tweedmouth, Berwick-on-Tweed.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

C8215. Conflat A used to ensure the 03 activated the track circuits: most of the vehicles used for this at Newcastle were Conflat Ls, with the holes in the floor. Not the most practical wagons for the job..

The 03s also worked trips to Tyneside Central Freight Depot, the Green Market at Low Fell, and scrap yards at Dunston and Blaydon, whilst one was out-stationed  at Tweedmouth, Berwick-on-Tweed.

That conflat doesn't appear to have any lamps or irons to fit lamps. Glad I've seen that as I will use conflat As with my 03s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

A few Southern photos now at Bax crossing and Teynham.

675709117_saBaxCrossingClass4117171CannonSttoRamsgate23rdApril77C3307.jpg.645fcdb4fd028308b27011c0d6668071.jpg

Bax Crossing Class 411 7171 Cannon St to Ramsgate 23rd April  77 C3307

647866452_saBaxCrossingClass419MLV68009DovertoVictoriaMay77C3332.jpg.6de0d59b0251b36a8d649743696acfb4.jpg

sa Bax Crossing Class 419 MLV 68009 Dover to Victoria May 77 C3332

1738721202_tTeynhamClass47downexcursion23rdApril77C3309.jpg.331f848a6af82f2c32baf2c06dce3825.jpg

Teynham Class 47 down excursion 23rd April 77 C3309

902910972_tTeynhamClass4237869VictoriatoRamsgate23rdApril77C3310.jpg.c3cefe82fd616cfd6f56a6e777643f9e.jpg

Teynham Class 423 7869 Victoria to Ramsgate 23rd April 77 C3310

115592227_tTeynhamClass73uppwtrainMay77C3335.jpg.b5014626bc008625f3aa9bda86357e82.jpg

Teynham Class 73 up p w train May 77 C3335

1455270373_tTeynhamClass4117174VictoriatoRamsgateMay77C3336.jpg.c04f70b6577bca846d9dd925d5286dcc.jpg

Teynham Class 411 7174 Victoria to Ramsgate May 77 C3336

David

You can smell the brake dust!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most impressive set of photo’s of Newcastle from 1986, and 1987. In C8657, with 45108, on a parcels train, on the 10th July, 1987, you have captured a superb portrait shot of the locomotive. 

The photo’s of Bax crossing and Teynham, on the Southern, are a delightful selection, with C3335, at Teynham, with a class 73, on an up permanent way train, in May, 1977, is of interest, and a well composed shot. It shows that such trains need not be too long on models.

The last set of photo’s of Swayfield, from 1970 to 1972, are a superb set, and I’m left wondering by the headcode in the last photo’ of class 40, 257, heading a down express passenger train in October, 1972. I don’t think you’d get away with that three disc headcode on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Unless I'm very mistaken, C194 appears to be what we used to call a "red circle" - in other words, one of the original batch of Brush 2s (Class 31/0s), built with electro-magnetic controls (and the infamous "toffee apple" controller) and given a red circle coupling code. It would be very unusual to see one of those north of Peterborough - in fact, they were fairly irregular visitors to Peterborough itself, unless they turned up on the afternoon Harwich Parkeston Quay turn on a Saturday (certainly from 1970 onwards). Most of their time was spent pottering around East Anglia on freight services or on Liverpool Street to King's Lynn/Harwich services, before they were upgraded to Type 3 (and, later, Type 4) power.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David, and first of all, although I haven’t yet lost any content I’m following, the site is, currently, very slow at loading threads and pages. I just hope I can get this post posted before anything might happen with the site.

Now, the photo’s of Dinting, from 1969 to 1972, are most impressive, and C639, of Beyer Peacock, 0-4-0, steam tram, ex - Oldham tramways, in May, 1971, shows how different from mainline steam locomotives it was. I cannot help noticing the slightly deformed coupling rod. 

The photo’s of Heaton Norris Junction, from a day in March, 1972, are most interesting, with C866, of 310080, on a Crewe to Manchester Oxford Road service, you have captured the EMU superbly despite the overhead catenary getting in the way.

Those photo’s of The Great Central, north of Loughborough Central, in September, 1964, at Stanford on Soar, by the fox coverts, with the last photo’ of the viaduct over the River Soar and meadows being most excellent and showing some very dirty and rusty steam engines. In the first photo’ of a class 9F, 92030, on a down train of empties, it is a most expertly composed shot, and the 9F is most neglected and dirty. 

Finally, that’s a great couple of photo’s, from Germany in the Harz, you posted, to test making new content, and content you started visible again. In C17583, at Harzgerode, with 997232, on a Harzgerode to Eisfelder Talmuhle service, on the 7th August, 1992, you have captured a delightful three quarters front portrait shot of the locomotive.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Of interest, in Saturday's batch (amongst many other things), is C865 - Brush 4 1628, at Heaton Norris Jn., in March 1972. This is the locomotive that, a couple of years later, was overturned at New England North Jn., one Sunday morning, when it took the crossover to the Midland lines from the ECML down main line, at speed. It was rebuilt, as the Class 56 power unit testbed, as 47 601, and subsequently, as the Class 58 power unit testbed, as 47 901. It's surprising to see that, as late as 1972, it still has the original three-part fixed radiator grilles, rather than the two-part Serck variant that became standard during the Class 47 build and which was retro-fitted to the earlier members of the fleet.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6