Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

KinghorndistantviewClass37upfreightfromPettycurharbourAug96J16286.jpg.c727b72db61cd70eb30fd7650c05dadc.jpg

Kinghorn distant view Class 37 up freight from Pettycur harbour Aug 96 J16286  The  train is just below the lowest of the top lines of caravans and above the 5 caravans near the left of the photo

IIRC a single line ran from the mainline down to the shore area, I think it was for a glassworks. Without checking old maps, the trackbed may have been the slope with (or just above) the line of caravans (from upper-centre left to centre-right at the houses)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

During an 7-day all-line railrover in 1983 - for the glorious price of £25 (at priv. rate) too, stopped in at the Travellers Fare buffet at Huddersfield Station for a cup of tea whilst changing trains - only to have it served in a china cup & saucer - no Maxpax plastic there - wonderful.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

J1521 has a full centre headcode so will I think be a Class 46.

Thanks Andrew.  I did wonder when I posted it but 46s were not that common on the ECMl  - at least not at the times of day Dad and I visited to take photos.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent selection of photo’s of Scotland, with one from south of the Firth of Forth, and the others on the north side. In J16279, at North Queensferry, with 150259, on an up Fife Circle train, on the 15th August, 1996, your Dad has taken a well composed shot of the unit.

The photo’s of Huddersfield are a superb set. In the last photo’ of the main buildings, on the 25th July, 2000, you have taken an excellent shot of them.

That’s a great selection of photo’s of Germany,  at Gernrode, on the Selketalbahn, now a part of the HSB, on the 9th August, 1992. In the first photo’ of 99 6102, you have taken an excellent portrait shot of 99 6102. 

Finally, the photo’s of High Dyke are all of interest. In the last photo’ of class 47, D1585, running light engine, in November, 1969, you have captured the locomotive well, and have a beautifully composed photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As if driving a 3-wheeler in the snow wasn't bad enough, if the snow was deep, your back wheels would be in everyone else's tracks but the front wheel would be trying to plough through the mound of snow in the middle!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, DaveF said:

High Dyke Class 31s 5875 and 5873 light engines Oct 69 J2017

5675 and 5673, David - the tablet-catcher fitted ones for the High Dyke branch (5862 was the highest numbered Brush 2).  😁

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of an open day at Tyseley in September, 1970. In J2366, of GNR, J52, 1247, that’s a fantastic photo’ of the sole preserved locomotive. I wonder if it can ever be steamed again?

The photo’s of Bramford, on the line from Ipswich to Haughley Junction, are a superb set. In C2183, with a class 105 unit on a Cambridge to Ipswich train in June, 1975, that is a delightful ‘train in the landscape’ shot.

You have posted an excellent selection of black and white photo’s of March and Whitemoor Yard. In JVol1258, at March, with a B1 being rerailed with jacks, in about 1948, that’s a most fascinating photo’ of part of the procedure. Indeed, it’s something which I’ve rarely seen photographed before, so it’s both thanks to your Dad, and yourself for posting the photograph.

Finally, the photo’s of Swayfield from 1972 to 1974, are a splendid set. In C1621, of a class 55, on an up express passenger train, the 17.00 Newcastle to Kings Cross, in June, 1974, it is an excellent shot. 

Now I can make out a 2 as the last digit of the number, so going by the nameplate, it must surely be 55002, The King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaveF said:

Swayfield Class 47 up ex pass Dec 74 C1837  Headcode not on Napier-chronicles website

David

It's *probably* a Christmas scheduled relief train, David. Although the Eastern Region used to use 1Gxx for internal specials/charters, they tended to use high numbers for scheduled, period reliefs.

According to my notes from the time, in the run up to Christmas 1974 there were Anglo-Scottish reliefs in the 1S9x series and on Christmas Eve I have records of a 1A60, 1A80, 1A83. I couldn't find a 1A62 but it might have just run at the wrong time for me.  😄