Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

C1725 - 1C15 was the return Peterborough to Harwich Parkeston Quay, rather than Norwich.

There was some confusion around that time, in the mid-70s, when they introduced a parcels service from the Peterborough Parcels Terminal, into East Anglia, that followed about twenty minutes behind the HPQ, coded 3C15. After a couple of years, the Harwich was recoded 1C18.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, keefer said:

Actually, had another look and it seems more like a small bolster wagon under each end of the beam with a spacer wagon between those.

(I originally thought the spacer wagons were at the ends to cover the overhang of the beams)

I think the wagons that carried the beams were largely former Armour Plate wagons. Between these were different types of flats, according to the needs of particular loads. These included Hymac and Rectanks, alongside the more mundane Lowmacs.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Petts Wood, on the Southern, on the 3rd May, 1980. In the first photo’, of a Class 73, on a down train of carflats, you have captured an excellent view of the train. 

The photo’s from around Micklefield and Peckfield colliery are full of interest and intrigue. In J1377, of Hunslet, S115, Frank, in August, 1968, your Dad has captured a superb side shot of the locomotive. 

That’s a splendid set of photo’s from around Little Bytham, on the ECML, in 1970/1. In J2531, of a Class 47, on a down express, in March, 1971, your Dad has taken a superbly composed shot of the train. I’m not too surprised that the headcode is not in the Napier Chronicles with two blinds not in alignment making it very difficult to read it properly.

Finally, the photo’s of Nottingham MIdland, around 1969/70, are a superb selection. In J2426, of Class 47, 1583, on a Sheffield to St Pancras service, in October, 1970, your Dad has taken an excellent shot which is most atmospheric in the dull conditions.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just catching up again after our guest has (finally...) left.  Loved the early KWVR photos, and the Newcastle ones took me back with a thump to trainspotting on the end of platform 9/10.  No HST's then though, just Deltics and various Sulzers.

Thanks again for the memories!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I'm probably wrong, never having been lineside there, but am struggling with the location of C5024, which, with that bend, looks more like St Mary Cray Junction on the Chatham line, rather than Petts Wood Junction on the SER. 

Indeed it is - this is taken from the "other" footbridge - the rear of the train is roughly back at Chislehurst Junction where the single down spur from the SER Charing X lines joins the Down Chatham Fast.

That's a splendid set of photos showing the sheer variety of traction on a "boring" EMU railway including a Hastings 6-B with the buffet car still in place prior to early removal before they rusted away / fell to bits. One of these had by then already been converted into The SR General Managers Saloon TDB975025 or "Caroline" as it is now more prosaically known.

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I'm probably wrong, never having been lineside there, but am struggling with the location of C5024, which, with that bend, looks more like St Mary Cray Junction on the Chatham line, rather than Petts Wood Junction on the SER. 

43 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Indeed it is - this is taken from the "other" footbridge - the rear of the train is roughly back at Chislehurst Junction where the single down spur from the SER Charing X lines joins the Down Chatham Fast.

That's a splendid set of photos showing the sheer variety of traction on a "boring" EMU railway including a Hastings 6-B with the buffet car still in place prior to early removal before they rusted away / fell to bits. One of these had by then already been converted into The SR General Managers Saloon TDB975025 or "Caroline" as it is now more prosaically known.

Many thanks for pointing out the location, it's obvious now you've told me.

This time I'm going to blame the bacteria which recently took up residence in my chest, they must be muddling my thinking.  Fortunately after several weeks and 2 lots of antibiotics I am slowly improving.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Kirkby Stephen, on the Settle and Carlisle, taken in the 1990’s, with the last one is of Kirkby Stephen East, the old NER station, now preserved. In C21395, at Kirkby Stephen, of the Midland Cottages, on the 29th August, 1996, that’s a beautifully composed shot of the lovely cottages. 

The photo’s of Carlisle in 1987 and 1988 are an excellent set. In the first photo’ of 87027, on a Glasgow to Euston service, on the 1st September, 1987, that is a superb photo’ of the 87. And it is exactly 36 years ago today!

That’s a splendid selection of black and white photo’s from around Nottingham London Road Junction, east of Nottingham Midland. In JVol2192, of Stanier 3MTT, 40175, on a passenger train from Lincoln to Nottingham, and also a trolleybus, c1952, being a particularly excellent composition. 

Finally, the photo’s of the ECML, around Corby Glen, are a superb set. In J2192, of Class 55, 9004, on an Edinburgh to Kings Cross express, in August, 1970, your Dad has taken an excellent shot of the train.

It looks like two photo’s may have the captions transposed, in that J2794, is a second posting of J2793, with a 47 on an express passenger train, rather than a Class 31, on a down parcels train, in December, 1971. Also, J2795, is actually the 31 on the parcels train. I hope that is of help. Regardless, those photo’s are excellent examples of ‘trains in the landscape’ shots. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

P.S. please don’t worry about posting photo’s each day whilst you are not so well. We will all understand if you need some rest. I’m glad you are now feeling a bit better.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

So sorry to hear that you've been under the weather for the past few weeks, David. I hope that they've got you sorted out now and that you'll be steadily improving - we're forecast some warmer weather, so let's that that helps "clear you out".  😁

I'm going to be a pain and challenge you, again, on J2192. I don't think that it is 9004 - the plate is too short for "QUEEN'S OWN HIGHLANDER". Also, 9004 was in works from 3rd to 21st of August 1970. Clearly, it's one of the four Haymarket ones with a single line plate. It's not 9013 "THE BLACK WATCH", as it has a crest. Zooming the image up, the nameplate has a three word name. Given that - and the fact that it appears to have the square-edged front footstep - I'd respectfully suggest that it was 9000 "ROYAL SCOTS GREY".

• Thanks 1

Regarding C9437, I have a few questions? What route would it have taken? And how many traction changes would it have had en route? Was Parkeston Quay even electrified then?

So could this train have even started its journey with an Ilford based 86 and then finished up with another from say Shields Road or Polmadie? 

Apologies if this sounds random, but this sounds like it could be a really interesting cross country working. 

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 35A said:

So sorry to hear that you've been under the weather for the past few weeks, David. I hope that they've got you sorted out now and that you'll be steadily improving - we're forecast some warmer weather, so let's that that helps "clear you out".  😁

I'm going to be a pain and challenge you, again, on J2192. I don't think that it is 9004 - the plate is too short for "QUEEN'S OWN HIGHLANDER". Also, 9004 was in works from 3rd to 21st of August 1970. Clearly, it's one of the four Haymarket ones with a single line plate. It's not 9013 "THE BLACK WATCH", as it has a crest. Zooming the image up, the nameplate has a three word name. Given that - and the fact that it appears to have the square-edged front footstep - I'd respectfully suggest that it was 9000 "ROYAL SCOTS GREY".

Thanks very much, I've alltered the caption.

12 hours ago, Matt37268 said:

Regarding C9437, I have a few questions? What route would it have taken? And how many traction changes would it have had en route? Was Parkeston Quay even electrified then?

So could this train have even started its journey with an Ilford based 86 and then finished up with another from say Shields Road or Polmadie? 

Apologies if this sounds random, but this sounds like it could be a really interesting cross country working. 

For many years the train was electrically hauled south to Preston, then diesel, at various times using a 47 or earlier a 37.  It ran via Manchester Victoria, then along the Hope Valley to Sheffield, south along the Midland to Nottingam, then Grantham, Peterborough, Ely, Ipswich and eventually Parkeston Quay.

Later it was electrically hauled from Glasgow via Birmingham to Willesden, then round London and down the GER main line to Parkeston Quay.  I don't have any other information about that period.  I believe that following that route the train ran almost empty south of Birmingham.

If you hunt about on the web I am sure you will find more details.  Sorry I can't be more help - I only really know about the earlier years as it ran past where my parents used to live between Nottingham and Grantham and Dad often photographed it

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1