... As to prices, we can only speculate what Hornby will do in the future. However I would find it hard to imagine that they would introduce a a budget item only to bump it up in price to almost match that of its more detailed rival just a year later. That would be a sure way to shoot their sales in the foot.

Except that next year, Bachmann will also have bumped up its prices again.

I'm not picking on you, but I am genuinely mystified why some people keep wanting to compare this year's massively bigger Bachmann prices with what Hornby might or might not be charging next year.

We now know* both company's 2014 prices - but for around 4 months we've had seemingly endless assertions to the effect that Hornby were clearly profiteering and Bachmann could produce similar items for far less (a conclusion arrived at by comparing Hornby's 2014 prices with Bachmann's 2013 prices), hence proving what a much better company Bachmann is...

But we don't know either company's 2015 prices, so can we not stick to comparing like with like? If you want to speculate about what Hornby might charge in 2015, why not also speculate about what Bachmann will by then be charging rather than comparing your future speculation to a current known?

Paul

* Actually I don't think that's quite true - aren't we we're still waiting for a few Bachmann prices?

The latest BCK and SK from Bachmann have smooth roofs, excellent.      

Do they? Well that is promising.

Thanks, I must take a visit to my local model shop and see if they have any to look at, and it could be a stressful summer for my credit card.

Do they? Well that is promising.

Thanks, I must take a visit to my local model shop and see if they have any to look at, and it could be a stressful summer for my credit card.

It' s in the train pack with the warship

There were 2 varieties of Triang RMB - the early ones had a very good representation of the later Mk1 window frame. (Buy!)

The later ones were the overly-chunky 'chrome' ones. (Avoid!)

Yes the early ones where good.

Early RMB resprayed and fitted with SEF flushgraze.

RMBEarly_zpsef77fb1e.jpg

Later over thick frames

RMBLate_zpsa9063c5d.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The latest BCK and SK from Bachmann have smooth roofs, excellent. 

Interesting change of mind. Bachmann's RMB had a rib-less roof from first release and I recall Bachmann saying they were reverting to with ribs for future new tooling due to complaints they were different to their other Mk1s. I still don't understand why the ribs have to be so pronounced when Hornby did it so much better on its 1960s models.

Interesting change of mind. Bachmann's RMB had a rib-less roof from first release and I recall Bachmann saying they were reverting to with ribs for future new tooling due to complaints they were different to their other Mk1s. I still don't understand why the ribs have to be so pronounced when Hornby did it so much better on its 1960s models.

I hope not. Their Pullmans TPO and sleepers are ribless too

Yes the early ones where good.

Early RMB resprayed and fitted with SEF flushgraze.

RMBEarly_zpsef77fb1e.jpg

Later over thick frames

RMBLate_zpsa9063c5d.jpg

E1857's had some hammer!

As a point of detail - when flushglazed with the sliding lights in the open position, there would be no central dividing bar, or would there?

http://www.derbysulzers.com/25211dawlish76.jpg

As a point of detail - when flushglazed with the sliding lights in the open position, there would be no central dividing bar, or would there?

No bar that I recall you could stick your head through them.

But after respraying it and then finding the not all the glazing would fit in the holes I wasn't going to start cutting.

No bar that I recall you could stick your head through them.

But after respraying it and then finding the not all the glazing would fit in the holes I wasn't going to start cutting.

Fair play! I did run short on patience with SEF after doing a few rakes back in the early nineties!

The Bachmann BR Mk1 coaches in 31-425A Class 411/4CEP BR green Electric Multiple Unit seem to be better than those in the Mk1 coaches range although the livery looks too dark. I like the orange curtains which are similar to those in my old Tri-ang restaurant car. The livery does not match that of the old Bachmann Mk1 coaches as you can see in the photograph. I think it should be somewhere in between the two liveries like the Hornby BR green coaches. The last picture shows that there are no ribs in the carriage roof in the 4CEP coach.  There are no livery problems in the BR blue and grey Class 411 coaches.

post-17621-0-53500100-1399665667_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-76115600-1399665731_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-92076800-1399665775_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-31353500-1399665814_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann BR Mk1 coaches in 31-425A Class 411/4CEP BR green Electric Multiple Unit seem to be better than those in the Mk1 coaches range although the livery looks too dark. I like the orange curtains which are similar to those in my old Tri-ang restaurant car. The livery does not match that of the old Bachmann Mk1 coaches as you can see in the photograph. I think it should be somewhere in between the two liveries like the Hornby BR green coaches. The last picture shows that there are no ribs in the carriage roof in the 4CEP coach.  There are no livery problems in the BR blue and grey Class 411 coaches.

We have discussed this many times before.

Basically the Green Bachmann initially used (as featured on the loco haulled MK1) was thought by many to be too much of a lighter shade, and actually not far off Malachite. Bachmann then said they had listened and came out with the shade as featured on the CEP which many regard as to dark. Bachmann however insist this darker green is accurate though so don't expect any change soon.

Ironically most people seem to think Hornbys rendition of BR green is the most accurate - unlike their attempts a Malachite (on the Maunsell stock) which is practically identical to their BR green. Many consider the Malachite livery they used on their earlier hybrid Southern coaches to be more accurate - and its interesting to note that it was not too far off the shade of green Bachmann initially used.

The problem may be that the correct livery applied to an 00 gauge model can appear too dark. Another example is SDJR blue that appears black on an 00 gauge model and so model manufacturers paint the model a lighter shade. In the 1960s the Model Railway Constructor suggested mixing 2 parts Humbrol multi-unit green, which was a similar shade to the new Bachmann coaches, with one part Humbrol malachite green to get the right shade. I tried this and it matches the Hornby coaches and the multiple units I saw at Orpington Station in the 1960s. For me the new Bachmann green coaches look alright until I run them with the old Bachmann coaches and Hornby coaches. The picture shows the livery of a Bachmann Mk1 compared with a Hornby Maunsell pull-push coach which looks like the correct livery. None of the reviews I have seen have criticised Hornby's BR SR livery. There does not seem to be a problem with Bachmann Mk1 Pullmans or maroon and brown and cream coaches which match coaches from other makes.

post-17621-0-04432400-1399670347_thumb.jpg

Is this not the point, surely there were 2 southern region greens ?.  One for EMUs, referred to as Multiple Unit Green by Precision Paints (and something else I think by Humbrol), and then the other for loco hauled coaching stock, which is called something else by Precision Paints (and I can't remember exactly what, but I've got a tin at home, I'm out at the moment).

In the above picture, both look right to me. The Mk1 coach from the 4-CEP being an EMU looks like its painted in MU Green, and being new is not faded, whereas the Maunsell PP coach is loco hauled and so is painted in the other green, and being older is faded.

Have Bachmann started using MU green for their hauled coaches ?.

I'm not an expert on this, just throwing ideas in the air, but there are 2 BR Greens in the Precision Paints range.   

Is this not the point, surely there were 2 southern region greens ?. 

Three. Most of the confusion comes from that a large number of Bullied and Maunsell coaches stayed in Malachite with yellow BR lettering (BR Malachite) through the Crimson/Cream era. Post 1956 loco hauled coaches where a slightly darker green (BR Southern region green).

Electric MU on the Southern and other regions till 1958 where close to BR Malachite.

Hornby have done pretty good matches to BR Malachite and BR Southern region green. Bachmann painted their early MK1's too light more like BR Malachite and the later ones to dark looks more like they have used DMU green.

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts

Triang Hornby

Not bad, but limited range, I have RMB and SLsomething, did have a CK but messed up converting to FK

Mainline original

Slightly odd sizes but OK, I may pass these on to the boys as the sides are too low.

Lima

Basic, but detailable, got a few on B4s and SEF glazing, Roofs need work. Good donors for bashing with etched sides (my RU and BAR)

Mainline & Replica

Great models only thing not up to Bachmann was lack of flush glazing, I have RBR FO BCK - actually my favourites.

Bachmann

Apart from roofs generally good.

Coopercraft

Fragile but look good, I do need to finish mine!

Biggest issue is they all look a little odd in mixed rakes, detailed Bachmann next to a Lima - hmmmm

Now I have about 8 Limas I want to improve more bogies are OK B4s corrected and 14mm wheels in the BR1s. Etched window frames would look good! Cheaper to do that and respray than replace with Bachmann.

...One missing from the thread is the very old Kitmaster range of plastic kit Mk1s - imho they nailed it and set the standard which wasn't really met by the RTR folks until the Mainline RB (but the rest of the Mainline Mk1 range was truly, truly bad). Only ever had 2 Kitmasters *sigh*...

Ah....you didn't see my earlier posting, then. The Kitmaster glazing has never really been bettered.

• 6 months later...

Actually I'm a convert to the Hornby Railroad Mk1. It looks the part and runs better than the Bachmann Mk1s I have . I run rakes of 5 or 6 coaches. Admittedly my track is not billiard board level, but its not the rockies either. I have continual problems with Bachmann coaches uncoupling when running and derailing, usually the second coach in a rake, which I suspect is something to do with the coupling . No such issues with Railroad Mk1s either on their own or in mixed formation with Bachmann.  When they announved them I really thought Hornby were mad, but I now find I'm buying more of them and might actually selectively replace some Bachmann ones.  Just waiting for Hornby to produce Blue& Grey in basic Railroad form, no lights please- Id prefer the cheaper price!

I agree x100. I find Bachmann bad runners. Railroad Mk1s with close couplers + metal wheels OK

Archived