MRJ 231

queensquare

I do not see that publishing just one D&E-specific issue out of 232 magazines does "...comprehensively nail the lie that MRJ doesn't do or isn't interested in D&E modelling".

If they really were interested in D&E modelling they wouldn't need publish a specific D&E issue, there would be enough articles in the regular issues of the magazine for it (and my comment) to be unnecessary.

From that you seem to imply that all the other issues did not contain any D&E content. A completely wrong impression. Though there has not been another issue devoted to D&E, may be true, but as I inferred above, the devotion of 1 issue to D&E is just as bad as devoting any issue just to steam or to LMS or even GWR.

This issue could easily have been a D&E special by balancing more to D&E than steam but not at the exclusion of.

Speaking as one who's main modelling focus is the early D&E period in EM gauge I could say that this issue was welcome, but I will go further to say that IF this was the first issue that a prospective FINESCALE modeller would pick up at WH Smiths or similar then I would hope that the content would convince that said person to maybe take the plunge and push their own modelling boundaries beyond the accepted RTR mainstream-I'm not specifically referring to the 2mm FS article in particular but I hope you catch my drift.

To balance the above statement I must add that I also model 3mm 14.2mm, BR WR 1958, AND have an embryonic BR NE Region project in prospect

Truth be told, I think Barry Norman, as guest Editor, was very brave to devote a whole issue of MRJ to D&E-damned if he did, and damned if he didn't!      

• RMweb Gold

I do wonder about all this 'era bashing' (or Company/Region bashing).  MRJ is about top notch railway modelling and we have a very wide and catholic field in our hobby so what on earth is wrong with the leading mag covering it?  Were there howls of protest when 'funny foreign things; such as Pempoul appeared?  So so come on let's recognise good, innovative modelling when we see it and learn from, or wonder at, what we get to see instead of knocking it because it happens to be about something which doesn't interest or appeal to us in the full size world.

It is funny that even now MRJ seems to polarise people like no other magazine seems to. A check through the threads when other magazines are released would tend to confirm this. My personal interests are fairly specific - GWR mid 1920s, with an emphasis on the D.N & S. So on the face of it, an issue full of diesels would have little appeal. But then again, neither would an issue with BR Standards, LMS coaches, a French narrow gauge light railway or a myriad of other things that MRJ have featured. What I really like though is a magazine that talks like an adult, has good modelling articles and is enjoyable to read. This issue does it for me. Well done MRJ.

Craig W

True Dat, BR.

Best, Pete.

PS I rode a full spec 2013 Police H-D yesterday (about as different from a BMW as you can get). They get new ones every year and send the old ones back to H-D in my local Dept. Nice deal. No, I didn’t get far.....hardly a full scale test...

I hang up my leathers in five shifts!

Suppose I will have to change my user name then............!!! ;)

Well done mate, just don't bug--r it up in the five shifts.

Keep the user name, you deserve it after all those years out on patrol.

(Retired 5 years now. Don't know how I had time to go to work).

Well done mate, just don't bug--r it up in the five shifts.

Keep the user name, you deserve it after all those years out on patrol.

(Retired 5 years now. Don't know how I had time to go to work).

By the way I have not received my invite to your retirement do!

Second phone box on the right as you leave Bodmin!

Re Black Craft.......will have to spin the dit about getting sent to mysterious lights etc on the moor, and arriving at a naked coven!!!

Four or five geezers and about ten naked ladies dancing about........I nearly had a stroke!

I actually purchase the MJ this month :boast:  I thought either it was April 1st or that the drugs were working at last.  In the interests of balance I wonder if next months MJ will be printed in sepia ! :jester:

Of course it won't - next month will be available only as a download!

Stewart

As with all magazines on any subject (I was also an Editor long ago), MRJ can only print what material they have been sent to publish.

Most professional magazines will produce at least some of  the editorial content in-house and/or print commissioned material. And as I understand it, MRJ pay for the material they publish.

So I doubt it very much that MRJ published an all-diesel/electric issue just because they had no other material to print.

Personally, I found the issue a bit boring. Not because of the lack of steam, but some material on for instance scenery or arcitectural modelling would have been refreshing.

Archived