HO Monon inspired layout

There a Canadian shop in Alberta that do some good things not been myself or to Canada but seen pics from dad last year besides you need to look quite hard in the UK to get anything like this so the states and Canada are aways the best bet not cheap but theres tons to grab to have a decent inventory

Edited by jamessolomon

Finally tracked down the missing parcel and the transfer caboose is here! Only a little time to have a look but is a lot better than my part built scratched effort!

Off to the Post Office to pick up the bits and bobs parcel and might even get a little more track laid today!

post-9435-0-88828000-1425108412_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-93314800-1425108423_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Not as much done over the weekend due to book marking and report writing taking more time than always think but two Spurs laid and a point repositioned so inching ever slowly towards completion! Looking back at my original talk to the society - have I achived my goal in the 1 year, no but it's coming on!

Found this UK site might interest you

http://www.lswrmodels.co.uk/ho-scale

they have

ATLAS

1937 AAR 40' box car: Monon gray(2#) £10.00

ATHEARN Ready-To-Roll

ACF 2970 Hopper: Rock Island grey/Monon £26.50

ACF 2600 covered hopper: Monon £24.00

they seem to have some decent prices and stock i might have to take a look at for mine

Found this UK site might interest you

http://www.lswrmodels.co.uk/ho-scale

they have

ATLAS

1937 AAR 40' box car: Monon gray(2#) £10.00

ATHEARN Ready-To-Roll

ACF 2970 Hopper: Rock Island grey/Monon £26.50

ACF 2600 covered hopper: Monon £24.00

they seem to have some decent prices and stock i might have to take a look at for mine

This is the Penguin and I have used his services in the past. He is a well known figure on the circuit as normally is not seen with out his full length leather coat - might be a reason he does not do many shows!

Made some progress this afternoon whilst listening to Spurs v QPR and layout design more or less in place. Angle of mill spur has changed so will have to adapt the mill building. Industry at the near end will have to be adjusted. Need more brass screws before connecting up the fiddle yards.

Hopefully this evening will look to wiring up a board.

post-9435-0-87349200-1425749688_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-04399000-1425749752_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

There was something that was nagging at me when looking at the Transfer Caboose. It's not a model of the Monon version. There were 3 made by the company around 1956 and looking at an Internet drawing and Monon in Colour by Morning Sun books there is not a lot that is the same!

post-9435-0-18424400-1425761106_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-14513800-1425761114.jpg

Looks good what sort of motive power is being used

I have a RS2 in Gold Monon, BL2 in Maryland colours? That needs a respray ( hint hint Mr Burnage) H15-44 in Gold and sound, F3a in Gold and sound B unit in Southern livery, C420 in Gold and the H10-40 of which the Monon owned only 1 and will need a lot of modellers licence for it to run!

Busy week at work with productions and parents evenings so not a lot of time for modelling. At a time of being told that "we" still need to make improvements achieving a major award at the highest level for a 5th time in a row makes the long days worthwhile and resets what is important in education. Set aside 3 hours today as a reward!

A few weekend sessions completed and with mask in place no discernible ill effects of soldering wires and tracks but streaming cold due to working in the garage with the front door open!

Big test next will be joung the two boards together and running a loco from one end to the other

• Like 1

Found this doing research for my own layout but might be another motive power choice to add to the fleet with a respray

The Indiana Transportation Museum owns two former Milwaukee Road F7A's #83 & #72, one F7B #68 & one FP7 #96. #83 & #96 operated in the Monon Railroad passenger livery at the ITM. #83C (#72A) is being restored to Monon freight colors. F7B #68 will be restored to match #72

Searching grain boxcars turned up this which you could possibly add the white band and the lettering to one of your existing boxcars would make something different to look at in a consist. Is part of this site http://www.monon.org/ which may yield lots of stuff to respray extra decals added to or for buildings adding to the layout

12-05Dreistadt002-A.jpg

Edited by jamessolomon

An extremely challenging day at work on Friday. I think the solar eclipse affected the troops but an afternoon of fantastic rugby and immersion into the new layout and planets are now back in alignment. People say - why do you model railways - it's my place to go divorced from the pressures that we all have to cope with.

Looking forward to a day at the Nottingham Show