Falcon in 7mm

steve fay

Here you go then, getting fuelled up for the first time. One minor thing though, Nellie did not want to lay down very well. I used Johnsons Klear first but there is still a blemish round her. Hopefully a bit of weathering later will hide it a bit. I have found a couple of Severnmill Brush worksplates for a 31 which will do to put on this. This will be on Heljans stand at Glasgow in a couple weeks, not weathered though.

post-6766-0-29162200-1423339517.jpg

post-6766-0-38812800-1423339519.jpg

post-6766-0-16918700-1423339522.jpg

post-6766-0-80314200-1423339523.jpg

post-6766-0-61308500-1423339525.jpg

post-6766-0-56812200-1423339527.jpg

post-6766-0-55503900-1423339529.jpg

post-6766-0-84294700-1423339530.jpg

post-6766-0-31604300-1423339532.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 16

It does look nice.

As to the nameplates, I'm unsure, and would need to see them "in the flesh" as it were.

I already have these:

post-13196-0-28268000-1423405515.jpg

Which quite apart from being more raised (as far as I can see), also include the worksplates, complete with correct build date and the all-important works number, 0280, from where Falcon got it's BR running number, D0280, before it went blue.

I can't remember the price, they are from Guilplates, and were in my hands within a week of ordering.

Edited to say: that's a low res photo, the real things are clearly readable. They do need a little polishing round the edges, but I like them.

Edited by JeffP
  • Like 3

So far based on my small orders the green has been the most popular, with the Original lime green and brown on a par with Blue.

I like the look of the Falcon transfer and I personally think it has the edge over the Guilplates etched version. It would have been better done in nickel silver than brass.

Severn mill do the correct builders plates.

Overall though it really looks the part I just hope the other one offs make an appearance, my personal choice next would be lion but I think Kestrel seems to have a bit more of a following.

Good times Ahead.

• RMweb Gold

There is quite an interesting story regarding the missing Falcon nameplate, replaced by the cartoon elephant as depicted by Brian. The original Falcon crest went missing toward the end of the locos life at Ebbw junction, and no sign of it was ever found in railway memorabilia/ dealers etc. Then (in the last decade) someone advertised "an imperial Eagle crest" which was thought to be a Nazi WW2 artefact, and it sold (as far as I recall) for a pittance or perhaps was withdrawn from sale early. Someone pointed out what it actually was during the auction!

Neil

Surely the Falcon crest made it back onto the loco as there are pictures of it back on with Nellie the Elephants feet poking out beneath it.

The transfers I used are from Precision Labels. Heljan are seeing if they can do a Falcon plate with some depth to it in either metal or plastic.

It is interesting to know which livery will be the most popular as they are only making 750 of these split between the 3 liveries.

Kestrel for me too.

The Clayton is my JLTRT one done as a Derby Research one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've never seen that photo Brian do you have a link?

Edit : here it is

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_09_2014/post-414-0-59070300-1411936611.jpg

There's quite a few posts in the 4mm Heljan thread relating this story I may not be 100% accurate, but one plate was lost I'm fairly sure - perhaps Brush replaced it when it returned to Loughborough?

Neil

Edited by Downendian

So far based on my small orders the green has been the most popular, with the Original lime green and brown on a par with Blue.

I like the look of the Falcon transfer and I personally think it has the edge over the Guilplates etched version. It would have been better done in nickel silver than brass.

Severn mill do the correct builders plates.

Overall though it really looks the part I just hope the other one offs make an appearance, my personal choice next would be lion but I think Kestrel seems to have a bit more of a following.

Good times Ahead.

It is nickel silver, it was photographed under artificial light, sorry.

Are you sure Severn Mill do the worksplates, the correct number etc? When I asked, they did nothing for Falcon.

A decent 3-d crest would be great. The foxes on the Golden age/Loveless A4's add so much to the loco, they weren't flat in real life, neither was this crest.

Edit: as regards the missing crest, it went missing late in Falcon's life, but was, allegedly, "found" at the home of an employee, and returned to be reunited with the loco, until withdrawal.

Of the two plates, one sold for an amazing £45,000 at the Sheffield auctions of railwayana, the other now resides in the NRM.

Edited by JeffP

Ah that's better then it looks brassy in that light. Take another pic please Jeff if you can.

Chris (severnmill) mentioned to me a while a go that he did the correct works plate.

As I'm having it in original condition it will have the original transfer applied so I'm not that bothered but the hologram does look good.

Ah that's better then it looks brassy in that light. Take another pic please Jeff if you can.

Chris (severnmill) mentioned to me a while a go that he did the correct works plate.

As I'm having it in original condition it will have the original transfer applied so I'm not that bothered but the hologram does look good.

Your choice obviously, but I seem to remember that the metal plate was added whilst the loco carried its original livery, and so both options are quite legitimate.

John.

Your choice obviously, but I seem to remember that the metal plate was added whilst the loco carried its original livery, and so both options are quite legitimate.

John.

Yes that's true but whilst on test on the western she had the transfer. She received the plate and then went on to the Eastern

Here's a better pic for you Steve: been up in the stone cold loft for it. It's closer on about three times the resolution of the previous, you can clearly see the workplates are brass, the nameplates nickel silver. Taken in sunlight, (oblique).

post-13196-0-48479400-1423492489_thumb.jpg

I'd certianly be intruiged to see how Heljan replicate the 3D effect if they have a go - there's a lot of layers in a lot directions for something like etching.

47bd23721abd1367f603563fd08a9237.jpg

Pix

Don't think it can be etched with much more success than the Guilplates version. Chris at Severn Mill seemed to think not, the multi-layers defeat etching, and he should know. LOL

The foxes for 60017 done by Golden Age were hand made, then cast, or pressed out of metal. Heljan could do a plastic version painted aluminium, maybe?