RMweb

The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Premium

I never opened my one up, wouldn't dare, i'm also concerned that because I have a faulty model and it will need replacing, there will be no more sound versions left, complete nightmare to be honest.

Hi

I would expect Rapido have factored in an amount for faulty items and you might have to wait a few more weeks. No nightmare I can see.

Cheers

Paul

A big big thank you to Bill, Jason, Kit, Sandra (to name but a few) and everyone else who had the foresight, inclination and determination to bring this superb piece of engineering to my door. I only came across the project by chance, I didn't have any means of testing it until today when I set up a dcc controller for the first time with an oval of track. Oh and by the way F16 brought a little tear to my eye. Most impressive. Roll on the HST P.

• Like 1

Brian/Gordon,

Regarding the shorting issues you both have reported, please take a look at the pins in the end of the connector at the end of PC1. Do any of these show any evidence of being bent? That would be the first place that I would check. If two were bent to where they touch then it is possible that they might short.

I am currently in the UK at the York Show with Thomas from out Toronto office. As the sets arrived while we we were here (timing is everything.. I should have delayed the shipment!) we went to Shildon and took some time to inspect and spot check some of the units coming in. We found no shorts on any of the units that we checked. Also the factory pre-tested each power car before they were packed. This is not to imply that you DON'T have an issue, only that it is not a widespread fault.

Regardless, we will take care of the issue and make sure that your set is running 100% to your satisfaction. Please PM me and I'll get you contact details if you need to have it looked at.

Bill

Edited by rapidobill
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Colin

You need to tell me which version you have ordered and then wait for me to find the paperwork when you get there! Then I will ask numerous security questions - these are very valuable items you know and much sought after!

Cheers

Sandra

Thanks Sandra,

I've ordered a sound fitted one.

I won't be arriving early as Shildon is a long way from Lancashire.

ColinK

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Sandra,

I've ordered a sound fitted one.

I won't be arriving early as Shildon is a long way from Lancashire.

ColinK

Coming with two security people and armoured car to keep my APT safe.

Afternoon all,

Has anyone had any issues with their PC2? Mine randomly died on a corner and is now electrically dead. I'm currently away from my set but does PC2 have a speaker fitted? If so, it hasn't worked from the word go. I've tried PC2 on different joint modules, so unless a crucial wire has become disconnected inside PC1, the fault lies within PC2 or it's connector. Without taking the body shells apart, a shine of the torch shows no broken wires in either power car, so I'm quite confused.

Cheers, 60800

Hi 60800,

I would try running just PC1 and PC2 connected together. See if the motor responds as well as any lights and of course the speaker. If nothing works change the job my module to rule them out.

Also worth checking all the pins are on PC2 and none are missing or bent.

There's nothing wrong with talking... 

Not that we're going to reveal anything, but I'm certainly finding the discussion interesting!  xD

-Jason

I personally am not interested in knowing how much profit; if any; was made- but for bringing this iconic machine to us in such a stunning form as your first British outline model you deserve to make a profit.

I went to York myself on Saturday and talked to the staff there about it and the passion shines through. I tried to chat to Sandra at the locomotion stand but she was very busy every time I went past and appeared to be taking orders for the extras etc and I couldn't hang around with so many people bashing into the kids. Just want to know when to order the Prototype HST now :) 

Well I've got my APT-E (sound) up and running and I must say that I am totaly blown away with the quality of the product. Cant wait for the HST-E model to be produced. By the way has anyone else found the Easter Egg on the sound version ... (try pressing F16) ... :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Has anyone had any issues with their PC2? Mine randomly died on a corner and is now electrically dead. I'm currently away from my set but does PC2 have a speaker fitted? If so, it hasn't worked from the word go. I've tried PC2 on different joint modules, so unless a crucial wire has become disconnected inside PC1, the fault lies within PC2 or it's connector. Without taking the body shells apart, a shine of the torch shows no broken wires in either power car, so I'm quite confused.

Cheers, 60800

PC2 on my set was dead and with no sound when I first assembled it. I remade all the the connections and it worked eventually. Please see my earlier post. Check all your conections between cars they may have worked loose. Even when they look connected they aren't necessarily. Edited by 87004

All these trains having problems,nervous about mine now

Looking at this thread I think so far there`s 5 with problems

5 out of 2000 units although any failure is bad it`s so far less than 1% of units produced

There are bound to be a few minor snags and teething problems

But I have no doubt Rapido will sort out all those who have issues

Looking forward to mine arriving hopefully by end of this week lol

(Note to self : Remember to pay for it first lol)

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure you can count the connections as a genuine fault unless you are sure they aren't working. Having seen how Rapido have engineered the electrical connections it is very neat for a potentially difficult task (across a tilting body over an articulated bogie!). As Bill and others have said the crucial thing is check the pins aren't touching and read the manual!

Having seen Bill manhandle an APT-E all weekend they are clearly robust but you shouldn't need to force the electrical connections.

If you can wait a few days Bill is going to put together a short video to demonstrate the couplings.

Cheers Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at this thread I think so far there`s 5 with problems

5 out of 2000 units although any failure is bad it`s so far less than 1% of units produced

Let's hope it is only 5 out of 2,000

Only a few have been received to date, not 2,000.

• Like 2

I can see why people might be getting it wrong in coupling up, but I've had mine apart a good 6 times and once the coupling 'breaks in' (eg not as tight) then it really is easy to put together. Once the coupling bars have snapped together, you may find the 10pin connector not fully home as I did on one of my cars, just used a small pair of tweezers to bring them home, job done.

I can see why people might be getting it wrong in coupling up, but I've had mine apart a good 6 times and once the coupling 'breaks in' (eg not as tight) then it really is easy to put together. Once the coupling bars have snapped together, you may find the 10pin connector not fully home as I did on one of my cars, just used a small pair of tweezers to bring them home, job done.

Hi all,

As mentioned, we did spot check some sets. Initially I was quite alarmed to find a few with 'faulty" headlight or taillight (never both oddly....), one with no sound and one with no motor function on TC2. After unplugging and re-plugging the connectors and making sure that ALL of the plugs are fully seated all of these "issues" were fixed.  :banghead:  Srihaggis' post is spot on - please make sure the connectors are fully engaged. They DO loosen up significantly after a few uses as the plastic edges polish themselves. Should that not sole the issue, please contact us as described in the manual and we will walk through the next steps.

Having said that, I'll start the next thread now....

"RAPIDO UNRESPONSIVE TO POSTS!"...  :nono:  ;)

Thomas and I are heading from York to Heathrow tomorrow morning, then home - Thomas to Toronto and myself to Connecticut via Newark. Due to the wonders of the Amtrak timetable I am STUCK in Newark until the following morning (please don't complain to me about UK train service!), so won't be home until mid-afternoon Wednesday, after which I plan on spending some time with my family who, amazingly, still seem to want to see me. As a result I will likely NOT be on-line and almost certainly not on RM Web until some time on Thursday. Hope that everybody plays nice while I'm gone.... 

It was great to be able to see and talk to so many of you at the York show (and the few who recognized me at Ally Pally). It was great to see such a positive response to the train, especially during the test runs on World's End. Thanks also to Kit "Mr. Tilt" for making the journey in to join us.

Hope to be back soon...

Bill

Edited by rapidobill
  • Like 10

You can try each car as you put them on the track. My DCC sound unit has been put together  and tried out on my sons  DC layout. I put PC1 first and thought I'd try some power and it started up and went away. Then as I fitted each car said power was applied checking each connection as I went along. It may save some time if the unit is put together then stripped back to find first connection was not made. Hope this is of some use.

• Like 3