The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Hi all, late night update,

Electrical power has returned to PC2, so all is good. The culprit was the PC1 to TC1 joint module - the socket had been pulled ever so slightly in so that at least 2, if not 4 pins had disengaged. A bit of gentle persuasion and voila, PC2 sparked into life.

Cheers the info, clocking out now,

• Like 2

Hi all, late night update,

Electrical power has returned to PC2, so all is good. The culprit was the PC1 to TC1 joint module - the socket had been pulled ever so slightly in so that at least 2, if not 4 pins had disengaged. A bit of gentle persuasion and voila, PC2 sparked into life.

Cheers the info, clocking out now,

Seems like the main culprit for the problems has been found

Hopefully all the others will just be as simple a fix as yours

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to clarify my issue with connections between cars, this was me not having the 'knack' of assembling the unit, not a problem with the product itself. I am very happy with my APT and very grateful to the whole team involved with creating it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just found this on YouTube

http://youtu.be/G8wCi-Unj5Y

Can't wait to get my sound version totally awesome

Not my cup of tea at all, but I have to admit that's a serious piece of kit. Most definitely looks the part but with all that functionality built in at a reasonable price......wow! Now this is serious value for money. I've been waiting for some pics to appear. Love the interior shots , again highlighting the level of accuracy and care put into this model. With articulation and tilt this has got to be one of the most complex trains to design. I think well done Rapido. For those looking for Model or Manufacturer of the Year , I think I would pack up and go home now , even though we are only three months in. Can't see anything coming up to eclipse this.

Is it just me or does this look like K9

attachicon.gifK 9.jpg

Might explain why Jason was so keen to build it

The image was borrowed from the YouTube Video on Brian Grey's post 

This is how I remember K9...  (Image from http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/k9/characters/k9-metal-mutt-guide/)

k9-mark-1.jpg

Just imagine a bit more rounding at the sides...

:O

Sorry, got carried away a bit there :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Presumably now York is over the rest of the sound versions will be despatched.

Just a couple of questions for the Shildon team, which delivery service are you using, and will we get a despatched email to say it is on the way? I know these are minor things but I will have to arrange to be at home or get my neighbour to take it in.

Toot toot, my parcel containing my sound APT has just arrived. I shall start playing after lunch.

Thanks to Sandra as well as to the Rapido team and all of the helpful posters on this RMweb thread.

Pictures may follow

Just a couple of questions for the Shildon team, which delivery service are you using, and will we get a despatched email to say it is on the way? I know these are minor things but I will have to arrange to be at home or get my neighbour to take it in.

UPS delivered mine last week. and no contact was made beforehand , if that helps

Edited by brittannia

I wasn't going to get one - too early for me - until I thought about it properly and realised if I can run a blue Western I can run an APT.

A quick phone call to Locomotion secured a silent version, made available when the original purchaser upgraded to sound. Apparently there are some 'spares' still available.

Thanks to Sandra I should have it soon!

Gary

Ordered Thursday 24th, arrived Tuesday 29th - not bad seeing that it was Easter weekend in between! Thank you!

Only problem is it's at work and i'm not!

Gary

• RMweb Premium
Here is the photo I have been wanting for the last year ... PC-1 on a Hornby no.2 radius curve. Offset is 26 mm from edge of sleepers.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-01950500-1459258739_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-06694900-1459258756_thumb.jpg

Just found this on YouTube

Can't wait to get my sound version totally awesome

Vey nice and informative video.

That said, when you switched the Interior Coach lighting on, was this a separate function or you simply throwing a switch to supply power to the rails?

Here is the photo I have been wanting for the last year ... PC-1 on a Hornby no.2 radius curve. Offset is 26 mm from edge of sleepers.

- Richard.

Just to prove there's a prototype for everything!  From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5285nt9kdk

post-1762-0-84042600-1459260291_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Vey nice and informative video.

That said, when you switched the Interior Coach lighting on, was this a separate function or you simply throwing a switch to supply power to the rails?

Coach Lights come on when track is powered on mine

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, I need to let our good inwards at work know to expect the parcel and what courier will be delivering it. I've left a couple of messages with Sandra now but have not heard anything.

Bit miffed really that folks who did not originally pre-order have received APT-Es already after successfully phoning up and picking up cancellations etc

• RMweb Premium

Just to prove there's a prototype for everything!  From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5285nt9kdk

attachicon.gifAPT.jpg

Thank you David there are some excellent shots here of the early days with the 3-car set. I especially like the semaphore signals in the first sequence.

Can someone can tell us, what is the flap hanging down on the trailing PC in the first sequence in this video?

- Richard.

post-14389-0-75370200-1459264865_thumb.jpg

I have emailed Locomotion too asking for delivery details and tracking number as the courier companies don't leave delivery notes here. I have had items returned to the UK before because I was unaware of a parcel waiting for me to collect nor where to collect it from! 

Thank you David there are some excellent shots here of the early days with the 3-car set. I especially like the semaphore signals in the first sequence.

Can someone can tell us, what is the flap hanging down on the trailing PC in the first sequence in this video?

- Richard.

attachicon.gifpc flap.jpg

The sequence in the video must be what Mr_Tilt, was referring to here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96275-the-latest-apt-e-samples-have-arrived/?p=1872891

We had to crawl round Syston North curve en route to the Old Dalby Test Track and that wasn't just because of the normal speed limit on the curve, we had to ensure that the lateral suspension didn't allow the train to go out of gauge!

For your R2 curves, apply Rule 1 and say that's just what happened....

• RMweb Premium

The sequence in the video must be what Mr_Tilt, was referring to here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96275-the-latest-apt-e-samples-have-arrived/?p=1872891

For your R2 curves, apply Rule 1 and say that's just what happened....

Incredibly, I left enough space beside my R2 curve (under a high level section) but the nose will foul the tunnel portal near a 24-inch curve. Somehow, making the portal a lift-out item is a lot more appealing than keeping the train in a display case, but this is going to take some time ...

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Like 1