The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

I guess there is 50:50 chance that photo was developed posthumously.

Andy

Actually the train was standing still at the time. 

To prove it here's a pic I took from the cab of the guys taking that pic.  :no:

wFUMPx.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 13

Actually the train was standing still at the time. 

To prove it here's a pic I took from the cab of the guys taking that pic.  :no:

wFUMPx.jpg

Was this picture of British Transport Films personnel - who also took this splendid view near Duffield....

(Note the laying of the concrete slab trackbed - PACT - on the Up slow line).

$_57.JPG

Edited by Holmesfeldian
  • Like 5

Maybe, the guy kneeling down by the camera tripod and the one to the left in the tan jacket were BTP people. The other two in the shot were APD staff, there so the BTP guys didn't do anything silly, or ask for the impossible.

They took the pic that I used as a basis for my Christmas card with the Power Car at 9 deg. of tilt, but then decided they wanted it tilted more 'for the artistic effect'! Luckily we could tilt manually to 12 deg. and that resulted in the head-on pic in colour that epitomises E-Train to many people.

scTJq5.jpg

In passing, that length of PACT was the second length that BR laid, the first being at Radcliffe-on-Trent that was laid in 1969-70 and I believe it's still there looking at Google Earth. When I first started at BR in September '69 I was in the Track & Structures Dept. and we laid that PACT section using an ex-motorway slip-form paver, an amazing machine! I believe it was the first time that lasers had been used for real work on BR at the time.

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 6

Maybe, the guy kneeling down by the camera tripod and the one to the left in the tan jacket were BTP people. The other two in the shot were APD staff, there so the BTP guys didn't do anything silly, or ask for the impossible.

They took the pic that I used as a basis for my Christmas card with the Power Car at 9 deg. of tilt, but then decided they wanted it tilted more 'for the artistic effect'! Luckily we could tilt manually to 12 deg. and that resulted in the head-on pic in colour that epitomises E-Train to many people.

scTJq5.jpg

In passing, that length of PACT was the second length that BR laid, the first being at Radcliffe-on-Trent that was laid in 1969-70 and I believe it's still there looking at Google Earth. When I first started at BR in September '69 I was in the Track & Structures Dept. and we laid that PACT section using an ex-motorway slip-form paver, an amazing machine! I believe it was the first time that lasers had been used for real work on BR at the time.

That marvellous photo that adorned the rear cover of our Physics textbook!

I clearly recall the Radcliffe and Duffield PACT track sections. Always seemed a shame that they laid the PACT in the former up goods line formation at Duffield, resulting in trains slowing to almost walking pace to traverse the slew to pick up the PACT track rather than laying conventional track on the goods and incorporating the PACT track on the up main so that line speed could be maintained after a suitable settling in period?

Maybe the need for clearance from the down main or not wanting to relay the up goods first, were factors?

Can anyone confirm that the third section of this type of track laid in the Glasgow Queen Street High Level tunnels a few years later as I don't recall any other on my UK travels at that time?

Can anyone confirm that the third section of this type of track laid in the Glasgow Queen Street High Level tunnels a few years later as I don't recall any other on my UK travels at that time?

I'm not sure about it being laid in the Queen St tunnels, but they definitely laid some on the way out of Glasgow Central.

During the POP Train tests from Lockerbie to Carstairs in late 1973 I had to take some lateral acceleration data in the cab of the dual Class 50s that operated the route before the 25 kv was fully energised and rode one from Carlisle to Glasgow and back. The PACT track was in place then and it was noticably smoother than sleeper'd track but produced higher ride frequencies, hardly surprising really as it was a lot stiffer. Somewhere I've got a very bad photo of the PACT taken from the cab of the 50, but I haven't scanned it as yet. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt

• RMweb Gold

as you say mr tilt that picture epitomises the APT and i for one feel privileged to see things from the other side after all these years since the first time i saw the pic when i was about 5 years old!

that one picture you took from the cab has cleared up so many things i've always wondered about it

regards the PACT track, is there a length of it outside crewe on the potteries loop line (you should see it on google maps if you follow the line out of crewe towards stoke, just alongside the south carriage sidings) 

as you say mr tilt that picture epitomises the APT and i for one feel privileged to see things from the other side after all these years since the first time i saw the pic when i was about 5 years old!

that one picture you took from the cab has cleared up so many things i've always wondered about it

regards the PACT track, is there a length of it outside crewe on the potteries loop line (you should see it on google maps if you follow the line out of crewe towards stoke, just alongside the south carriage sidings) 

That's the response I often get when I give my lecture on the APT. 'Oh, THAT'S how they took that photo!'  :no:

As for the Crewe PACT track I'm afraid I can't help, the only lengths I knew for certain were the ones at Radcliffe on Trent, Duffield and Glasgow Central. I rather lost touch with Track and Structures stiff after I joined APD.

I can't see that length you mention south of Crewe I'm afraid, all the track I could see had sleepers of various sorts. If you look at the Radcliffe site, just east of the town, you can see where the original site was, although it looks like they've re-aligned the running tracks straight now. In the pic below the PACT is the white area just south of the track, but it's not taken at high enough resolution to see the difference between the eastbound sleepered track and the westbound PACT, rather sadly.

If you follow the line to the east from the test site in the pic you can see quite clearly where the PACT stops and the sleepers start. They must have extended the length since I worked on it as it runs quite a long way to the east.

6Pu408.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt